The Student Room Group

ISIS flag guy did nothing illegal

Scroll to see replies

This thread is weird because:

1. The guy wasn't arrested. Everyone knows it was legal. Yep. Insert freedom of expression rant here.
2. You're criticising people for displaying their views, whilst defending someone else's right to display his. Thoughts?
Reply 41
Original post by ExcitedPup
Shoot him and say "We thought he was a suicide bomber, obviously could not take a chance with him only 500 metres or so away from Downing Street"

Exactly. What happened to these shady acts. I'm certain very few people would give a toss if police mistakenly took a mobile phone he had in his pocket for an AK-47 or his shirt for a suicide vest packed with explosives. Just shoot these bastards and have done with it
Original post by blahbleeblah
seriously? after everything ISIS have done, walking around like that, after the tunisa attack and close to the aniversary of 7/7 is meant as a threat. it is not "free speech". that flag is frightening and extremely psychologically distressing to the public. we have seen it when person after person are beheaded or murdered in other barbaric manners. ISIS are gaining ground. they threaten to come here and slaughter us. wearing the ISIS flag isn't hate speech? I beg to differ. It is exactly that. that flag is a symbol of terror and murder, against us. he should have been taken into custody and his home and computer should have been searched, definitely. you do not know what could have been found. this is not one for "political correctness". we should not allow this. what next?

edit: also i'm very surprised this did not cause more of a commotion on the street (at least, that hasn't been reported.) this could have lead to a lot of trouble right there and then. perhaps that's why he took a little kid with him as some sort of 'protection'.

Trust me, most of TSR would have loved it had I been there.....
Well you can spot the left-wing c*nts a mile-off in this thread. They're the wimps who let our country be over-run by terrorists....

Guardian, Lib Dems much?
How about...... we stop admitting them in to our country? It'd make life much simpler!
Reply 45
We are at war with ISIS the same as we were at war with the Nazis both of which I'm sure you will agree are equally evil and general bastards. Now imagine if you will someone walking around London waving a Nazi flag around during WW2. How long do you think they would be alive for? If i were around when that Pratt was doing it I would have had no problem physically attacking the scum and happy to take whatever consequences that came along with it. My hate for ISIS far outweighs the ****s given about an assault or possibly attempted murder charge as I would be looking to end him permanently and would fully admit it when asked. Maybe if there weren't so many anti Brit super liberals in this country and a few more people with the balls to stand up against these ******s Britain would be a safer place for normal Brits and not a safe haven for the very people that hate it with a passion.
There is a case to be made that an arrest would've been legal, either under the public order act or the terrorism act(s) of 2000 & 2006.

However, it is (in my opinion) debatable. I think anyone who is talking about this sensibly, about whether this bloke specifically did anything illegal, could have a reasonable discussion and say 'Whilst I do think it was illegal, I can see how you'd interpret the legislation differently' - or indeed the opposite.

For all the absolute mongs who are doing their best to channel Al Murray's pub-landlord-silent-majority with your 'hurrrr durrr kick 'e aattttt' 'just get 'em shot!' 'you shoulda seen it if i woz there, id have hooked 'im ryt in the gabber m8' - you all need to ****ing behave.

ISIS want their 'islamic caliphate' to span and dominate the globe. We, the UK, consider them a terrorist organisation, and your response to that is to - in fear - abandon centuries of democratic and judicial tradition. Let's think about how mind achingly stupid that is. We have a 'foe' who opposes anything of the west (or anything that is not their twisted, abhorrent interpretation of Islam) and the best way to combat that is to dismantle conventions which embody everything our society is about? Briliant, bravo. Gold star for you boys and girls.
Reply 47
Original post by harry734
Its funny because the people arguing against the right to have this flag (or do whatever he did) would also have been arguing for the rights of the victims of the Charlie Hebdo attack victims on the basis of freedom of speech, its evidence that they have no moral foundation, but instead just want to attack islam at any chance, you must atlas be consistent.

Condoning murderers and rapists is not the same thing as condoning mockery

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LibertyMan
Friendly reminder that you live in a 21st century international megapolis, a pinnacle of civilisation, developed over the sweat and tears of lawmakers, thinkers and philsophers for thousands of years.

And yet people still walk around draped in a religious terrorist flag!
I agree. Government shouldn't have power to ban any kind of flag. Flags don't kill people, terrorists do.
Have to agree

until we actually declare war on ISIS and make the showing of their memorabilia illegal then he's done nothing wrong and should be free to flag wave to his little hearts content
Original post by jcwh97
Condoning murderers and rapists is not the same thing as condoning mockery

Posted from TSR Mobile
So all muslims are murderers and rapists? you sure?

he didn't say all muslims now did he.
Reply 53

Where in my sentence did I say that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aivicore
This thread is weird because:

1. The guy wasn't arrested. Everyone knows it was legal. Yep. Insert freedom of expression rant here.
2. You're criticising people for displaying their views, whilst defending someone else's right to display his. Thoughts?

Original post by PopaPork
Have to agree

until we actually declare war on ISIS and make the showing of their memorabilia illegal then he's done nothing wrong and should be free to flag wave to his little hearts content

Actually guys....

s13(1) of the Terrorism Act 2000

13Uniform.(1)A person in a public place commits an offence if he—(a)wears an item of clothing, or(b)wears, carries or displays an article,in such a way or in such circumstances as to arouse reasonable suspicion that he is a member or supporter of a proscribed organisation.

From the statement regarding this incident:

"Wearing, carrying or displaying of an emblem or flag, by itself, is not an offence unless; the way in which, or the circumstance in which, the emblem is worn, carried or displayed is such as to cause reasonable suspicion that the person is a supporter or member of a proscribed organisation.

"While support of and membership of ISIS is unlawful it is not a criminal offence to advocate the creation of an independent state."

I'd say it was enough to show resonable suspicion that he was a supporter of ISIS. And according to the HOme Office ISIS is a proscribed organisation.

OR, Public Order Offence. (from the statement regarding this incident.):

The Public Order Act states that a person is guilty if he: "Displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby."

I'd say the the flag is a "sign" or "visible representation" of a threatening group, is viewed as a threat in itself after everything we have seen them do on the news whilst carrying this flag, and the timing of this incident, this flag would likely cause alarm or distress to the public.

Finally:

A Home Office spokesman said: “ISIS is a proscribed group. Showing signs you are a supporter of that group is an offence.

"It was an operational decision and we cannot comment on individual cases."
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by blahbleeblah
Actually guys....

s13(1) of the Terrorism Act 2000

13Uniform.(1)A person in a public place commits an offence if he—(a)wears an item of clothing, or(b)wears, carries or displays an article,in such a way or in such circumstances as to arouse reasonable suspicion that he is a member or supporter of a proscribed organisation.

From the statement regarding this incident:

I'd say it was enough to show resonable suspicion that he was a supporter of ISIS. And according to the HOme Office ISIS is a proscribed organisation.

OR, Public Order Offence. (from the statement regarding this incident.):

I'd say the the flag is a "sign" or "visible representation" of a threatening group, is viewed as a threat in itself after everything we have seen them do on the news whilst carrying this flag, and the timing of this incident, this flag would likely cause alarm or distress to the public.

Finally:

Many Thanks for the details

But it does seem like he won't get away with it again
Original post by ExcitedPup
They don't want to criticise the police openly. The guy's details would have been obtained when the police stopped him, and the CPS, police, Home Office and Security Service can make a determination about whether to put him under surveillance, or proceed with a charge after the fact, etc

I hope so.
Original post by Aivicore

I am by no means restricting the rights of you all to state your opinion. You are free to have an opinion and criticise mine and I am free to criticise yours. A person has a moral right to be allowed to hold an opinion even if it is controversail and supports extremism. There is only one kind of free speech and it applies to all.

Anyway thanks for all your responses guys. The point I am trying to bring up here is that we must keep in control of our emotions and maintain a clear, rational judical approach even to an event so controversial it makes us flip out in rage. We have a great civilisation and maintaing freedom of speech at all times is a significant achievement.

Original post by willock
Now imagine if you will someone walking around London waving a Nazi flag around during WW2. How long do you think they would be alive for?.

I agree of course that the public would understandably lash out at this guy and quickly end his life, but in the end of the day, if I was in charge at that time, I would also not arrest Nazi supporters. They would of course be tabbed and spied on to check for espionage/ treason, but if they are not doing any harm and are just intellectually for Nazism, they have a right to be so (and there were plenty of people like that in France and Britain). Again, free speech is a virtue and it must be protected at all times, no matter how dire a situation is.

We can rise above tribalism and furious lashing and become composed intelligent beings.
Original post by LibertyMan
Friendly reminder that you live in a 21st century international megapolis, a pinnacle of civilisation, developed over the sweat and tears of lawmakers, thinkers and philsophers for thousands of years.

We have freedom of expression and we recognise the fact that different people will have different opinions, and although they might be abhorrive and digusting, they have equal weighing before the law just like any other opinion.

It is not hate speech to wear an ISIS flag;- hate speech intentionally seeks to offend a certain person or group of people, meaning this guy has a right to believe that killing all infidels is right, but not threaten any directly with death.

I am saddenned by people on social media trying to attack the police for not arresting a man with an opinion not doing any harm, or worse, call for arresting that guy for treason: for they don't respect the delicacy of our law system and our government's philosophical standing, and just how much work it took for us historically to reach a stage in a civilisation where we overcome our emotions and respect people's right to free speech rather than killing them for it. The latter, by the way, is what the Caliphate would do, and we are not them.

I despise what you say but I will defend to death your right to say it

i dont this guy really cares about the principle of free speech, he was just trying to wind people up. like a petulant adolescent would in school. i presume ( going godwin now) that you would be equally as comfortable seeing people marching around the streets with nazi and/or white supremacist flags. personally i would rather we had neither - why should we put up with societies scum on our streets instigating tensions
it may have been harsh to arrest IS boy, but a stray baton accross his head wouldnt have been amiss
Can't blame some Muslims for supporting ISIS given what the West have done.

It's all our fault. We should have never entered Iraq but people still vote Labour and Conservative you know they're two sides of the same coin when it comes to foreign policy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending