The Student Room Group

Which subject should I drop?

Hi, I recently finished my AS levels and I'm left with a really tough decision. I love all of my subjects but I know for a fact taking four A2's would overload me. I currently take design and technology (product design), English Language, Maths and Geography. I love English and that is one I'm definite on not dropping. I would like to go into a geography based career and hopefully pursue it at university however I feel I may have messed up my exam for it and am not sure whether it would be unwise to drop a subject i did well in to take geography. I love DT but the coursework is unreal-literally takes until the last weekend before exams to finish and combined with maths, a subject which requires a lot of revision does not work well. I love maths too but I'm slightly scared that next year's work will be too hard, I wont get it and ill fail. So far I haven't really struggled although I hated S1 and found C2 kind of challenging but do-able. Anyway just wondered your opinions on this. Thanks for your time :smile:
Drop DT, focus on the rest and try to step up a gear in how you approach your studies. However, it really depends on your results so drop whatever you did worst in and factor in how difficult or not it may be to improve grades with retakes. As you say DT takes up a lot of time, which you can use to improve. You are a year smarter and a year wiser now, so you should have a good feel and understanding of the subjects, regardless of whether you did good or not, which makes any retakes or A2 units you do easier to approach. Maths A2 is known to be quite a big task as some of my friends have done it, but also some friends who have spent their time practicing every day and going through the chapters and doing as many past papers as they can have found A2 relatively comfortable. If on results day you happen to do better in DT compared to other subjects then stick to that and drop your worst subject, because you may be giving yourself an extra year of something you did not to well in.
This is all just what I think, I hope it helps you think about next year at least. I wish you nothing but the best! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by JammyDodger712
Hi, I recently finished my AS levels and I'm left with a really tough decision. I love all of my subjects but I know for a fact taking four A2's would overload me. I currently take design and technology (product design), English Language, Maths and Geography. I love English and that is one I'm definite on not dropping. I would like to go into a geography based career and hopefully pursue it at university however I feel I may have messed up my exam for it and am not sure whether it would be unwise to drop a subject i did well in to take geography. I love DT but the coursework is unreal-literally takes until the last weekend before exams to finish and combined with maths, a subject which requires a lot of revision does not work well. I love maths too but I'm slightly scared that next year's work will be too hard, I wont get it and ill fail. So far I haven't really struggled although I hated S1 and found C2 kind of challenging but do-able. Anyway just wondered your opinions on this. Thanks for your time :smile:

If you do bad in geog you can just resit modules next yr. Keep what you like the most. Im sure if you work hard enough you can do 4 A2. Im autistic and dyslexic and had average gcses. I have flown through my AS course and im taking all 4 to A2, im confident i will do well in all of them and its good to push yourself. Im sure you could do them.
A2 maths isn't reallyyy that much worse than AS. And C4 has vectors, which are easy and the coolest thing ever once you understand them. Some of the rest is pretty challenging, but no more so than C2, really. The best thing about maths really is that there's always someone to help you if you don't understand parts. Teachers, further maths students, mymaths, a different textbook, the vast expanses of the internet, there's always someone or something. Plus no coursework. Or essays. And I think everyone hates S1, really. My first practice paper, I didn't draw a box around my venn diagram and that was the difference between a C and a D :frown:. If you'd be doing M1 next year, then that's way more fun. Well, even S2 is better than S1. But in general, maths is chilled. After you understand a concept, you don't ever have to study it again, just mindlessly practice. Also it's useful and unis love it and stuff.
But it's up to you, really. Good luck! :shades:

Quick Reply

Latest