The Student Room Group

Why is it that mental illness is only brought up when white people commit crimes?

Something I've been noticing. The first thing the media brings up when a white person (granted he's not a Muslim) commits a crime is his mental health issues and history of bullying, isolation etc. We rarely if not never see this kind of stuff brought up when people of other races commit crimes.They are vilified as 'terrorists' and 'thugs' and I don't think the media ever looks into whether these people have mental health issues or have been through other stuff. I also notice that even if the person is well over 18, they get painted as a kid. The guy who killed all those people in the church shooting in the US is described as a kid despite the fact he's 21 but a black kid who was shot by the freaking police was described in the media as a "young man"

I'm not saying that mental illness should not be taken into account, I'm just saying it needs to be considered even if the perpetrator isn't white.
Generally it is because the attacks done by non white people are religiously motivated. Whereas when no clear motive can be found the media resort to mental health.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
Generally it is because the attacks done by non white people are religiously motivated. Whereas when no clear motive can be found the media resort to mental health.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't think that's true tbh. I'm not just talking about mass murder and stuff like that. Robberies, assault, single homicide. Last week (I think) an Australia football coach was murdered by his son and sure enough the media is talking about his mental health issues and is being called a 'sweet kid' despite the fact he's 26
It's not.

In 2011 Anders Behring Breivik was declared sane and widely condemned as a terrorist by the authorities and the media, even though he was White, a cultural Christian and far-right politically.

Perhaps the problem is your victim-complex
Reply 4
Original post by yo radical one
It's not.

In 2011 Anders Behring Breivik was declared sane and widely condemned as a terrorist by the authorities and the media, even though he was White, a cultural Christian and far-right politically.

Perhaps the problem is your victim-complex

I don't have a victim complex. Like I said I just pointed out something I've been observing. I think I might be watching too much US news if anything (for a project I'm doing) and I'm just noticing the difference between the way media reports crimes committed by white people and black,Latino etc. All I'm saying is that white criminals are portrayed in a more sympathetic light.
Please don't just randomly accuse me of having a victim complex. I'm not whinging just trying to get a conversation going.
Original post by FishLover
I don't have a victim complex. Like I said I just pointed out something I've been observing. I think I might be watching too much US news if anything (for a project I'm doing) and I'm just noticing the difference between the way media reports crimes committed by white people and black,Latino etc. All I'm saying is that white criminals are portrayed in a more sympathetic light.
Please don't just randomly accuse me of having a victim complex. I'm not whinging just trying to get a conversation going.

You have a clear agenda.

Dylann Roof, the perpetrator of the recent racist shooting in a Black Church got absolutely no sympathy from the media and rightly so.
Because they're looking for an excuse as to why the person comitted a crime.
That's only true in the UK
You have a clear agenda.

Dylann Roof, the perpetrator of the recent racist shooting in a Black Church got absolutely no sympathy from the media and rightly so.
Reply 8
You have a clear agenda.

Right, a clear agenda that I myself am not aware of...:rolleyes:.

Yes he did. He has been portrayed in a sympathetic light. Again I have no problem with mental illness and histories of isolation, bullying being brought up but you these kind of stuff is brought up when white people commit crimes not others.

Are what about Zimmerman, how was he portrayed in comparison to Trayvon Martin?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Because young black males in the USA just commit tons and tons of violent crime, it's expected of them. I mean think about it, black people are 13% of the American population, cut out women, and it becomes 6%, cut out young kids and older men and it shrinks to 3%. This 3% commit 55~% of rapes, assaults and murders. People are simply desensitised to it so it isn't assumed they are mentally ill.

The vast majority of religiously or politically motivated terrorist attacks are carried out in the name of Islam. As you well know, radical muslims are simply far more numerous and more dangerous then radical christians, hindus, sikhs or other religious or political groups. It is quite clearly their religion that motivates them rather than mental illness.

Now, when you refer to white people who commit crime, I'm assuming you mean spree shooters like Adam Lanza or Dylann Roof. Well contrary to what the liberal media might have you believe in the scheme of things these are actually extremely rare occurrences, and white people are actually underrepresented as spree shooters as a proportion of the population (asians and blacks being overrepresented) . Considering that going and shooting up a school does not typically fall into most peoples idea of psychologically healthy behaviour - the first assumption is that they are mentally ill. Some of them probably are (Lanza, Holmes) and some were clearly motivated by a political agenda (Breivik, Roof).
I debunked the 'social justice warrior' lie and inversion of reality that mental illness is only brought up when white people commit crimes a couple weeks ago in this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3421607

The right wing press claim mental illness to deflect attention away from guns, and the left wing press claim mental illness whenever they want to deflect attention away from racist crimes against white people.

The stupid meme parroted in the OP has literally no basis in reality. Its a lie constructed by people in power with agendas and parroted by their 'piped piper' hoards of low IQ individuals.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why is it mental illness is only brought up when someone commits a heinous crime?

Why is it when someone commits a terrible crime people jump to mental illness.

It depends on the crime and the background of the person doing it more than race. A young working class white man who robs a convenience store and shoots the clerk isn't likely to be called mentally ill by the media (and this will hold true for all races). However, a kid with a history of social problems that guns down an entire group of school kids one day is going to raise questions concerning mental health. However, when exactly was the last mass murder committed by a black person in this manner, for example? If a middle class black kid shot up a maternity ward for no apparent reason, then his mental health would be discussed. But we don't have any recent events like this contribute to perceptions. Most black murderers are associated with gang activity and petty theft, because that's what they typically are related to, therefore they don't garner discussion on mental health. Also, a Muslim man with a history of radical religious beliefs and possible ties to extremest organisations is more likely to be called a terrorist and not mentally ill for obvious reasons (although the recent Ottawa shooting did see the media commonly cite mental illness).

Recently I've seen lots of articles peddling this idea that it's all a racist double standard. All you need to do however is take a look at the long list of recent crimes committed by all races to see that this is not a typical trend (most white murderers aren't called mentally ill or blamed on Daddy issues) nor is it usually without justification when the alleged double standards occur, as the acts and perpetrators they are comparing are typically quite different.
Reply 14
Original post by Dandaman1
However, when exactly was the last mass murder committed by a black person in this manner, for example?

Hartford distributor shooting, DC sniper, Chris Dorner.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Dandaman1
It depends on the crime and the background of the person doing it more than race. A young working class white man who robs a convenience store and shoots the clerk isn't likely to be called mentally ill by the media (and this will hold true for all races). However, a kid with a history of social problems that guns down an entire group of school kids one day is going to raise questions concerning mental health. However, when exactly was the last mass murder committed by a black person in this manner, for example? If a middle class black kid shot up a maternity ward for no apparent reason, then his mental health would be discussed. But we don't have any recent events like this contribute to perceptions. Most black murderers are associated with gang activity and petty theft, because that's what they typically are related to, therefore they don't garner discussion on mental health. Also, a Muslim man with a history of radical religious beliefs and possible ties to extremest organisations is more likely to be called a terrorist and not mentally ill for obvious reasons (although the recent Ottawa shooting did see the media commonly cite mental illness).

Recently I've seen lots of articles peddling this idea that it's all a racist double standard. All you need to do however is take a look at the long list of recent crimes committed by all races to see that this is not a typical trend (most white murderers aren't called mentally ill or blamed on Daddy issues) nor is it usually without justification when the alleged double standards occur, as the acts and perpetrators they are comparing are typically quite different.

Thank you for this well thought out reply (also for not calling me an idiot).
This does make a lot of sense.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must say I didn't expect people to call me names (looking at you person who implied I have a low IQ) and accuse me of having an agenda when I posted this thread. I was just pointing out something I had noticed and as someone who has only recently started paying attention to the news and current affairs, I was just looking to engage with people and learn a bit. I've learnt my lesson though, never again am I posting on this thread. I'm going to stick to the fun forums.
--

No, i am not accusing you of having an agenda. I am accusing you of parroting memes put into public discourse by hate filled people with agendas.

I have to apologise though for suggesting you have low IQ. Even a person with high IQ is still susceptible to propaganda if their information only comes from limited mainstream set of sources.

I would suggest when these memes arise in mainstream circles, you take look into them like i did here because mostly the memes are lies:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3417845
Reply 17
Original post by capitalismstinks
No, i am not accusing you of having an agenda. I am accusing you of parroting memes put into public discourse by hate filled people with agendas.

I have to apologise though for suggesting you have low IQ. Even a person with high IQ is still susceptible to propaganda if their information only comes from limited mainstream set of sources.

I would suggest when these memes arise in mainstream circles, you take look into them like i did here because mostly the memes are lies:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3417845

Sorry it was someone else who accused me of having an agenda. You just said the thing about me having a low IQ.

Anyway, I guess I need to look at a diverse range of new outlets when I read the news. Like I said before I've only recently started looking at the news etc.. I've always been more of a bookworm interested in fantasy worlds. I'm honestly only trying to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending