The Student Room Group

Youtuber PewDiePie makes £4.8 million last year

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-07/06/youtuber-pewdiepie-made-4m-last-year

Makes me wish I had jumped on the YouTube train all those years ago doing something like this, and it's even worse knowing he's based only about 15 minutes away from me.

It's incredible to see his yearly income was up from £2.6 million the year before, that's almost double!

Does he deserve it? Are we going to see a lot more of this or is he just a one-off?

Scroll to see replies

He doesn't deserve it, namely because he's ****.
Reply 2
**** off, are you serious?! He's not even funny, for goodness sake.
How do they actually get money? Is it Youtube advertising revenue?
Reply 4
Money wise I am not sure he deserves that much especially now because he has not made any decent videos for ages. Focuses on really annoying editing to cater to his younger audience. We now watch his videos because he is now considered a brand being the most subscribed youtuber rather than actually watching decent videos.

However, I cannot judge really because I don't agree with people who do sport, who earn such a large amount but they do because they deliver to people's 'entertainment' and that is somehow worth more than those saving lives. Although I understand that certain athletes and also Pewdiepie raise a lot for charity and things but I don't think they deserve anywhere near what they actually receive.
Well he doesn't "deserve" anything, no-one does. But if people are willing to watch his stuff, and ad revenue ticks up, then it's certainly earned.
Good for him, he must be entertaining to brainless 5 year olds.
Of course he 'deserves' it, his videos attract millions of views. Whether those videos are any good is irrelevant.
This is the difference between the mugs who work hard ("hard working taxpayers" to use the Tory mantra) and those who work smart.
Reply 9
Original post by Quantex
This is the difference between the mugs who work hard ("hard working taxpayers" to use the Tory mantra) and those who work smart.

this
Original post by GuppyFox

Does he deserve it? Are we going to see a lot more of this or is he just a one-off?

No 'YouTuber' deserves to get that much money for what they do. It's ridiculous how much they get idolized by their fans, too. Not to mention that they get so many privileges outside of their income: think of the free stuff that gets sent to them by potential sponsors or the invites to 'gaming events' because they are somehow very relevant. The fan mail too; I saw a video a while ago where one YouTuber had a whole room near full with items sent by their fans.

Something I find cringeworthy is that some of these people who get too much money from YouTube are now exponentially making even more from other mediums of media- I've seen loads of people who cover make-up/style tips then appear in the newspapers or on daytime TV, or people who make sports related content commentating on TV, e.g. that constantly shouting racist 'KSI' on the 'Greatest England Moments' show or whatever it was called.

To anyone that says that these fools require as much or more respect that people with actually important but potentially less paying roles (e.g. healthcare careers, etc), I say bugger off.
Original post by Davalla
No 'YouTuber' deserves to get that much money for what they do. It's ridiculous how much they get idolized by their fans, too. Not to mention that they get so many privileges outside of their income: think of the free stuff that gets sent to them by potential sponsors or the invites to 'gaming events' because they are somehow very relevant. The fan mail too; I saw a video a while ago where one YouTuber had a whole room near full with items sent by their fans.

Something I find cringeworthy is that some of these people who get too much money from YouTube are now exponentially making even more from other mediums of media- I've seen loads of people who cover make-up/style tips then appear in the newspapers or on daytime TV, or people who make sports related content commentating on TV, e.g. that constantly shouting racist 'KSI' on the 'Greatest England Moments' show or whatever it was called.

To anyone that says that these fools require as much or more respect that people with actually important but potentially less paying roles (e.g. healthcare careers, etc), I say bugger off.

This phenomenon really boils down to supply and demand. Is that any reflection of 'desert'? No, not necessarily, but it's how our world works.

The guy lives in Sweden. His company will pay high taxes on the income, and then he'll pay taxes on whatever the company pays him. The more he makes, the greater the amount and proportion of his income which will go to the public purse to pay for the health and education which you prize.
Original post by Davalla

There are much worse/undeserving rich people than Youtubers dude...
I have no objection whatsoever. The market is entirely uncoercive. I would only object if he started saying it was all down to him rather than dumb luck or if he didn't pay his taxes.
Original post by TurboCretin
This phenomenon really boils down to supply and demand. Is that any reflection of 'desert'? No, not necessarily, but it's how our world works.

The guy lives in Sweden. His company will pay high taxes on the income, and then he'll pay taxes on whatever the company pays him. The more he makes, the greater the amount and proportion of his income which will go to the public purse to pay for the health and education which you prize.

Actually he now lives in the UK.
Original post by GuppyFox

I'm really tempted to say "No", but I also know that when I was 13-15, I might have found him funny. In my day it was the Yogscast that I thought was hilarious and to be perfectly honest, PewDiePie isn't really much worse. Obviously he isn't exactly providing a high-class comedy experience but I think this is the children's entertainment of the new decade - I don't think anybody would have berated the CBBC for having "immature" humour, either.

A lot of these YouTubers are getting a huge amount of flak for the huge fanbases they're attracting but how exactly is this different from pre-existing celebrity culture? I don't like it either but I hardly think this is new, it's just something that already existed spreading onto a new medium to a new demographic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
He earned about half his subs and worked at something he knew will make him a lot of money so he is smart in that sense.
Everyone saying he does not deserve it need to give a good reason.

He knows that having millions of subs will make millions from ad rev and sponsorship so he was smart enough to do it as a job. He may not deserve it in terms of what he contributes for his pay but he deserves it in the way that he took advantage of the demand for a big YT'er.
Fair play, he's got it all himself without help so yeah I guess he deserves it
Fair play to the bloke. He has worked hard to get where he is (filming, editing, etc takes way longer than people seem to think). I personally don't think he's funny but obviously people do so what's the problem.

People are just way too jealous in my opinion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Good on him. I respect that. Made a living out of absolutely nothing, that's the definition of genius.

Does he deserve it? Deserve got nothin' to do with it (Snoop). He got himself out there and earned himself a slice of the pie, earning millions despite not having any qualifications or skills that actually benefit society...that in itself is a huge achievement and nothing short of genius. He's successful because he marketed himself and fulfilled public demand. Despite being utterly dumb and uneducated, he established a huge cult following (for reasons unknown to me). Gotta respect people like that who make it big without actually doing anything significant or useful to anyone.

Millions have tried to do what he does. Most have failed, only very few have made it to the top levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending