The Student Room Group

Pets at home work experience help!

Hi:smile: I'm doing work experience at pets at home next week but I'm not sure what to wear! I think they told me to wear black trousers, but all the staff seem to wear cargo pants type things and I can't remember if she said jeans were fine? I'm not sure whether to bring lunch as well or go to the sainsburys over the road. If anyone has done any work experience there or works there please please help me out! I've never done anything like this so I'm kinda nervous.
Why not wear the black trousers there but take the others and if it seems appropriate to change then you simply can, or you could ask once you get there! Take a packed lunch on the first day and make judgments based on the other work experience people there or employees..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Ok yeah I think I might try and get some cargo pants to take there! Thank you that's a good idea:smile: and i think I will definitely take a packed lunch for the first day just in case I'm not allowed to leave for lunch! Thanks:smile:
Hi, I did work experience at Pets at Home three years ago.

I didn't personally, but a few people that were also doing work experience at the time wore jeans. I just wore black trousers. If in doubt I'd err on the side of caution and dress reasonably smart on the first day and judge it after that but they're really not that bothered.

I was allowed out for lunch but some people preferred to eat in the staffroom. Up to you :smile:

Best of luck, hope you enjoy it :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Hi, I did work experience at Pets at Home three years ago.

I didn't personally, but a few people that were also doing work experience at the time wore jeans. I just wore black trousers. If in doubt I'd err on the side of caution and dress reasonably smart on the first day and judge it after that but they're really not that bothered.

I was allowed out for lunch but some people preferred to eat in the staffroom. Up to you :smile:

Thanks for the really quick reply:smile: so they're not too strict on what you wear? Yeah I'll stick to the cautious side and probably wear black trousers with some spare just in case! Ok what kind of things did you do there?
They honestly didn't care what people wore :tongue:

There wasn't that much to do :tongue: I helped set up every morning before the store opened. There was a delivery every day and we had to put all the stock out before customers arrived. Throughout the day we had to 'front up' the shelves, bringing all the stock to the front and making sure the shelves were neat. I didn't get to do much with the animals, but I cleaned them out/fed them a couple of times. We had to take all of the dead fish out of the tanks throughout the day too. I got to go on the checkout for a bit as well, and from time to time customers would approach me to ask questions.

All pretty standard retail stuff, really.

EDIT: Actually, this was way back before all the stores had dog grooming parlours and vets. You might be able to work with them for a bit now which might be more interesting. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
They honestly didn't care what people wore :tongue:

There wasn't that much to do :tongue: I helped set up every morning before the store opened. There was a delivery every day and we had to put all the stock out before customers arrived. Throughout the day we had to 'front up' the shelves, bringing all the stock to the front and making sure the shelves were neat. I didn't get to do much with the animals, but I cleaned them out/fed them a couple of times. We had to take all of the dead fish out of the tanks throughout the day too. I got to go on the checkout for a bit as well, and from time to time customers would approach me to ask questions.

All pretty standard retail stuff, really.

EDIT: Actually, this was way back before all the stores had dog grooming parlours and vets. You might be able to work with them for a bit now which might be more interesting. :tongue:

Ok so mainly retail sounds easy enough!:smile: I think I'm the only volunteer at the time I do it, so hopefully I might get to do a bit more with animals!😁 ooh yeah that would be interesting I'm tried to get a place in a grooming parlour so that would be good if I could do it at pets at home. Thanks for telling me this, the people and place seem pretty chilled, I'm feeling a lot less nervous about it!:smile:
Reply 7
I did year 10 work experience in pets at home. We were provided a t-shirt to wear we didn't really have any type of trousers to wear as long as it was suitable. Also had to bring a packed lunch.
Reply 8
Original post by L116
I did year 10 work experience in pets at home. We were provided a t-shirt to wear we didn't really have any type of trousers to wear as long as it was suitable. Also had to bring a packed lunch.

Ok thank you I'll definitely bring a packed lunch then!

Quick Reply

Latest