The Student Room Group

Is this legal?

So I'm picking up a car for my friend, he's paying the road tax and one day inaurance so I can drive it back to him. This is legal right?

Scroll to see replies

legal if YOU are insured to drive.
Reply 2
Original post by Air_wolf
legal if YOU are insured to drive.

So as long as it's insured and road tax/ mot are good, I should be fine?
Original post by Zuki
So as long as it's insured and road tax/ mot are good, I should be fine?

If you personally are insured then yes. If it is insured under his name, no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Shorty94
If you personally are insured then yes. If it is insured under his name, no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're over 25 and have your own fully comprehensive insurance, then you can drive someone else's car with their permission. Remember that the insurance is for the driver, NOT the car.
Original post by rainbow.panda
If you're over 25 and have your own fully comprehensive insurance, then you can drive someone else's car with their permission..

Not true.It used to be the case that cover for driving other cars (DOC) was included by most insurers on comprehensive policies. But many comprehensive policies now do not offer this benefit at all or without a catch. You’ll often have to request it, and pay for it as an extra.
Original post by SummerAnthems
Not true.It used to be the case that cover for driving other cars (DOC) was included by most insurers on comprehensive policies. But many comprehensive policies now do not offer this benefit at all or without a catch. You’ll often have to request it, and pay for it as an extra.

Most do. Mine does. My last policy did the one before that did. My brothers does. So do my parents policies.

Just have to be over 25 as thats the law. Why give out information on something when you are wrong?
Original post by Sam Walters
Most do. Mine does. My last policy did the one before that did. My brothers does. So do my parents policies.

Just have to be over 25 as thats the law. Why give out information on something when you are wrong?

Most/Some whatever. the key thing here is not all policies offer the DOC benefit. It's not the law that if you are over 25 and fully comp yourself, you can automatically drive someone else's car; it depends on your policy.
What I'm saying is check with your policy before you end up with 6-8 points, a fine and a seized car because you listened to some guy on the internet that told you that you were automatically covered.

Sources:
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/driving-someone-elses-car/
http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/driving-other-cars-guide
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/blog/are-you-covered-in-another-car/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/picturegalleries/9287871/10-car-insurance-myths-busted.html
(enough?)

Look carefully at the wording of your policy. You will almost certainly find that it would not cover you in the situation in the OP. It will cover you to drive someone else's car provided it's already covered by a valid insurance policy for someone else, but not if the car is uninsured.
the OP says that the new owner is paying the one day insurance, but isn't' clear who is insured.

The most sensible thing would be to insure the OP for one day and deliver the car.

Then it needs to be SORNed and parked off road until the new owner does whatever.
don't forget that road tax needs to be paid,
Original post by CurlyBen
Look carefully at the wording of your policy. You will almost certainly find that it would not cover you in the situation in the OP. It will cover you to drive someone else's car provided it's already covered by a valid insurance policy for someone else, but not if the car is uninsured.

Indeed be very careful on this. You don't want the car seized by Police.
No one actually 'Road Tax'. It's VED.

After all the DVLA don't repair roads. That's the council via Council Tax.
Original post by SonicOfPron
No one actually 'Road Tax'. It's VED.

After all the DVLA don't repair roads. That's the council via Council Tax.

True - I was using common parlance.
People imply that NI pays for the NHS and Pensions but it doesn't

although since the budget, it may well be referred to as "road tax" again.
the local authorities only pay for local roads via central government funding. The highways agency pay for major roads
Funny enough, the budget yesterday stated that VED will go into a road fund that is used for road infrastructure projects only.

Unfortunately some don't cover you, it is always best to check. :smile:

my insurance covers me...but then they said "but you'll have to wait til you're 25 😭". So I dont really know why I have it.
No its not legal. You cannot legally get insurance if you are under 25 for less than a year. Ignorance is not an excuse.
Original post by mechanicjohn92
No its not legal. You cannot legally get insurance if you are under 25 for less than a year. Ignorance is not an excuse.

Well, The RAC states otherwise.

http://www.rac.co.uk/insurance/temporary-car-insurance/summary-of-cover

Eligibility:The customer and any other person who will drive must:

Be aged 19 to 75 (restrictions apply to certain vehicle models).

Hold a current, valid, full UK, EU, EEA, Australian, New Zealand, South African or Swiss driving licence and have done so for at least 12 months. Any other international licence types are not acceptable.

Have no more than 8 penalty points in the last 3 years, and have no prosecution or police enquiry pending.

Have had no motoring offence involving alcohol or drugs, careless, dangerous or reckless driving or taking a vehicle without consent in the last 3 years. This includes all convictions with the Conviction Offence Code prefixes DR, CD, DD, IN or UT.

Not have had more than 2 fault claims in any three year period.

Not have been disqualified from driving in the past 3 years.

Only use the car for social, domestic and pleasure purposes or business use by the policyholder excluding the carriage of passengers or goods for hire or reward.

Have not been convicted within the last 5 years of any offence relating to fraud, robbery, theft or handling stolen goods including any pending prosecution or police enquiry.

Not be using this insurance for the purpose of removing an impounded vehicle from a compound.

the RAC are known for giving incorrect information. Why do you think the AA gets so much business?
Original post by mechanicjohn92
the RAC are known for giving incorrect information. Why do you think the AA gets so much business?

Even the AA contradicts what you claim.
http://www.theaa.com/insurance/short-term-car-insurance.html

Who's eligible for short-term car insurance

Drivers aged between 18 and 75

Any person with a current full UK driving licence held for a minimum of 6 months, European Union licence for a minimum of 12 months or a provisional driving licence

Any person who has been resident in the UK for 12 months or more

Please note, there is no discount available for buying short term car insurance online. Terms and conditions for your short-term car insurance will be available when you get a quote.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending