The Student Room Group

Quitting a summer job

I've been in my summer job for 2 weeks, and it's safe to say I do not enjoy it, but I feel I may as well see the summer out, mainly out of respect for the the guy who gave me the job (+ the cash always helps). When interviewing they asked if I'd be willing to work whilst at university on the basis that I'd come home every two weeks and work the weekend. I said that's something I'd consider and feel it was a reason I got the job.

I now have no intention of carrying on after Spetember and had some queries regarding quitting:
-Will only working a job for 4 months have a negative/positive/no impact on my CV?
- Will the referee be kind to me?
-How much notice do I give?
- How formal does my resignation have to be?

It's working in a pub/restaurant that's part of a medium sized chain, that is part of a huge corporation.

Original post by The Wavefunction
I've been in my summer job for 2 weeks, and it's safe to say I do not enjoy it, but I feel I may as well see the summer out, mainly out of respect for the the guy who gave me the job (+ the cash always helps). When interviewing they asked if I'd be willing to work whilst at university on the basis that I'd come home every two weeks and work the weekend. I said that's something I'd consider and feel it was a reason I got the job.

I now have no intention of carrying on after Spetember and had some queries regarding quitting:
-Will only working a job for 4 months have a negative/positive/no impact on my CV?
- Will the referee be kind to me?
-How much notice do I give?
- How formal does my resignation have to be?

It's working in a pub/restaurant that's part of a medium sized chain, that is part of a huge corporation.

It's not a big deal, don't worry about it.

It won't have a huge impact on your CV - since you're in uni it will be a positive impact, not a negative one. It shows that you worked alongside uni, that's a good thing. But since it's a pub/restaurant it's not going to make you stand out in any way from other students. So it will impact positively but not massively.

As for the referee, it totally depends on the person but by law they can't say anything negative about you. Also, you don't need to use them as a referee. Get some voluntary work during term time (even one afternoon per week) and use that as a reference for your next step OR use a tutor as a reference. You don't need to use them as a reference.

Notice - depends on the contract. 2 weeks is generally the best and you should give your notice verbally to your manager and at the same time hand it to them in writing - they need it for their records. There are loads of templates online for resignation letters - use one, don't copy it word for word. Just offer your thanks for the opportunity to work with them, say you've learned a lot and enjoyed it (even if you haven't) and generally leave on a positive note.
Original post by somethingbeautiful

It won't have a huge impact on your CV - since you're in uni it will be a positive impact, not a negative one. It shows that you worked alongside uni, that's a good thing. But since it's a pub/restaurant it's not going to make you stand out in any way from other students. So it will impact positively but not massively.

As for the referee, it totally depends on the person but by law they can't say anything negative about you. Also, you don't need to use them as a referee. Get some voluntary work during term time (even one afternoon per week) and use that as a reference for your next step OR use a tutor as a reference. You don't need to use them as a reference.

Notice - depends on the contract. 2 weeks is generally the best and you should give your notice verbally to your manager and at the same time hand it to them in writing - they need it for their records. There are loads of templates online for resignation letters - use one, don't copy it word for word. Just offer your thanks for the opportunity to work with them, say you've learned a lot and enjoyed it (even if you haven't) and generally leave on a positive note.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the addition of 4 months work in a restaurant to make me the worlds most employable man but I figured its better than having nothing down. Hoping the ol' degree and possible internship will give me the edge after I graduate.

I knew the individual that I would put down as a reference before hand, so hopefully they would be kind, but equally I don't want to tick them off after they've given me the opportunity (although I imagine they didn't expect me to work there forever). I'm also planning on booking 5 days off to go on holiday in Spetember also.

Thanks for th help!
Original post by The Wavefunction
Yeah, I wasn't expecting the addition of 4 months work in a restaurant to make me the worlds most employable man but I figured its better than having nothing down. Hoping the ol' degree and possible internship will give me the edge after I graduate.

I knew the individual that I would put down as a reference before hand, so hopefully they would be kind, but equally I don't want to tick them off after they've given me the opportunity (although I imagine they didn't expect me to work there forever). I'm also planning on booking 5 days off to go on holiday in Spetember also.

Thanks for th help!

I did the same thing when I was in uni - worked at McD's for the summer and left after a few weeks. I never used it as a reference and it's a really small part of my CV now.

Hope it goes well!
I did the same thing when I was in uni - worked at McD's for the summer and left after a few weeks. I never used it as a reference and it's a really small part of my CV now.

Hope it goes well!

Haha! Your volunteering idea sounded like a good one. My main concern as that at the moment I feel I'm more trouble than I'm worth at the moment as I'm not the most gifted at the job, although I haven't really been trained so it's not totally my fault. To quit once I'm just getting good seems like a bit of a slap in the face to the manager.

As for the referee, it totally depends on the person but by law they can't say anything negative about you.

Not true at all. Employers can give out negative about you as long as they can back it up. The below links states it must be accurate.
https://www.gov.uk/work-reference

I agree
Reply 7
I absolutely hate my job. I've been workicng there for 3 weeks. They randomly give me shifts and change my hours minutes before i begin all the time. My manager randomly comes up to me and says you can go home now, shouts at me for not knowing things, calls me useless. He demoralises me, degrades me and constantly says something negative to me, today he shouted at me infront of the costumers because i dropped a fork. I've had enough do you think i should quit?,
Original post by Kerrymuli
I absolutely hate my job. I've been workicng there for 3 weeks. They randomly give me shifts and change my hours minutes before i begin all the time. My manager randomly comes up to me and says you can go home now, shouts at me for not knowing things, calls me useless. He demoralises me, degrades me and constantly says something negative to me, today he shouted at me infront of the costumers because i dropped a fork. I've had enough do you think i should quit?,

Depends. Do the positives outweigh the negatives? If they don't then it's probably best you move on. Doesn't sound like fun at all.
Reply 9
The positives is i get minimum wage.
Thats about it.
However the negatives are endless...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending