The Student Room Group

Applying for Biochemistry at University

What is the lowest entry requirement for Bio-chemistry? And do you need a lot of work experience? Can a personal statement for medicine be used for biochemistry?
Original post by Rasta Mouse
What is the lowest entry requirement for Bio-chemistry? And do you need a lot of work experience? Can a personal statement for medicine be used for biochemistry?

I've moved this to the University Life Sciences forum where hopefully you will get more responses :smile:

The lowest entry requirements for studying Biochemistry will depend entirely on where you want to study it. What I would recommend is that you visit a variety of university websites where they will clearly state the entry requirements for their Biochemistry course.

From what I understand, work experience is not necessary nor required for applying to Biochemistry. If you were to obtain relevant work experience, it would certainly help strengthen your application.

If you are applying to Medicine, then you will almost certainly need some relevant experience given how competitive the course is. You may have to ask the university/your tutor/an admissions advisor if you want to use a medicine PS for your application to Biochemistry.
Reply 2
Original post by Eloades11
I've moved this to the University Life Sciences forum where hopefully you will get more responses :smile:

The lowest entry requirements for studying Biochemistry will depend entirely on where you want to study it. What I would recommend is that you visit a variety of university websites where they will clearly state the entry requirements for their Biochemistry course.

From what I understand, work experience is not necessary nor required for applying to Biochemistry. If you were to obtain relevant work experience, it would certainly help strengthen your application.

If you are applying to Medicine, then you will almost certainly need some relevant experience given how competitive the course is. You may have to ask the university/your tutor/an admissions advisor if you want to use a medicine PS for your application to Biochemistry.

Thank you very much. I will start checking now
Would it be possible to apply to 3 universities for medicine and then 2 for biomedical sciences with the same personal statement geared towards medicine? Thanks a ton guys x
Reply 4
Original post by futuremedx
Would it be possible to apply to 3 universities for medicine and then 2 for biomedical sciences with the same personal statement geared towards medicine? Thanks a ton guys x

I think it is possible because I am going to do the same.
Reply 5
I think it is possible because I am going to do the same.

and i have asked my career's adviser and he said its alright. the only factor will be the grades
and i have asked my career's adviser and he said its alright. the only factor will be the grades

Ah right. It is tricky though because I know some unis will consider you for biomed even if your PS is for medicine, but some flat out won't. Where are you planning to apply for medicine and biomed if you don't mind my asking?
Reply 7
Original post by futuremedx
Ah right. It is tricky though because I know some unis will consider you for biomed even if your PS is for medicine, but some flat out won't. Where are you planning to apply for medicine and biomed if you don't mind my asking?

liverpool
Manchester
Leeds
newcastle
bradford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending