The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
why they not important??

I'm fairly pleased that I now hava a 2270 composite in the SAT, although it has taken me 3 attempts to get there (hehe)

On my SAT IIs I have 750 Math II, 720 Lit and 690 on chem and bio.
Reply 21
i tell you what has pissed me off...! I still only got a 10 on the essay, and I did hours of work for the darn thing!
My first SAT essay was a 7. My second was a 12? haha.
Reply 23
ebonyphoenix
My first SAT essay was a 7. My second was a 12? haha.

I know how everyone says you should write lots... well I did, but in quite tiny handwriting cus i was worried I would run out of space. I only did 1.5 pages, now I'm thinking i should have written bigger and gone for 2 pages! Oh well, 780 isn't a bad score, but with an 11 on the essay it would have been 800.
Reply 24
My god, I just realised how much I sound like some of those kids on college confidential.

I am really not like that!!!
Reply 25
well i dunno wht to do...got only 730 n 660 in chem n phy....thot i;d done it brilliantly....was the overall score less or nethin?
Reply 26
manusnair_msn
well i dunno wht to do...got only 730 n 660 in chem n phy....thot i;d done it brilliantly....was the overall score less or nethin?

dont worry. I got a very high A at AS biology and only got 690, similarly i am doing further maths and only got 750 on Maths II. They dont count much for internationals becuase they know how different our courses are. Do not worry, your scores are in the acceptable range for all unis.

What you have to be realistic about though is that your chances of getting in are very very slim, as they are for most UK applicants who have not been preparing for US admissions since they were 14. Those scores are not going to significantly affect you application at all. Just chill. What will be will be. and all that jazz.
yay i got 800 in Chemistry, 680 in bio, and 770 in math level 2!!
Reply 28
Louise_1988
What you have to be realistic about though is that your chances of getting in are very very slim, as they are for most UK applicants who have not been preparing for US admissions since they were 14. Those scores are not going to significantly affect you application at all.

Could you possibly just explain this a little further? By 'preparing since 14', do you mean in terms of ECs, or something else? I'm taking the SATs in May & June, and am really working so terribly hard to get 760+s in all of them...I'd be really mortified to think that this had all been for nothing :frown:

Please shed some light for me! :smile:
Reply 29
badegine
Could you possibly just explain this a little further? By 'preparing since 14', do you mean in terms of ECs, or something else? I'm taking the SATs in May & June, and am really working so terribly hard to get 760+s in all of them...I'd be really mortified to think that this had all been for nothing :frown:

Please shed some light for me! :smile:

well what I am trying to say is that the top colleges have admit rates of around 10%. There are quite a few applicants who can immediately me disregarded and some that are immediately inn. Then, for the rest a lot comes down to luck and standing out in the crowd. Most of the competitive candidate will have 2200+ on the SAT and great academic records with good ECs thrown in. In all probability you will be one of these candidates-one who requires that bit of luck working in your favour.

There are kids, mainly in the US, who have been preparing for HYPS admissions since the beginning og high school, and will have set up charities, run businesses, worked in labs, with the sole intention of getting into college, and many of these applicants have an advantage. In the UK we don't have quite the same opportunities or attitudes, so although we are compared against fellow UK applicants, we are still a step behind our US counterparts.

Yes, work hard and get the good scores, they will help you, but also understand that admissions is very competitive, in what I feel to be a more luck based manner than the UK system.

I shall let you know how i get on in April, maybe I can shed some more light on the luck aspect once I see how I have done!
I got 2130 on SAT1 (Writing 760, Math 700, Critical 670). Retrying October, hoping about 2250+ this time.

Can you give SAT 2 in the same month as SAT 1?
Reply 31
give??? do u mean take?? U can only take one of either SAT I or II in the same session, and there is only ever one session per month.

That writing score is very good, better than i have managed of 3 attempts!
Reply 32
I think the writing section is by far the hardest, especially if you're from the UK. We just don't ever have to write essays in that style - there's nothing on the curriculum that would require it. I don't really understand how they're scored, the ones given high marks don't seem that great :confused: - relating the argument to something you saw on TV seems to get you a lot of points :s-smilie:

My SAT was a total disaster, I left my pencil case in my mother's car on my way in so I didn't have a calculator and was really worried which also stuffed up the essay coz it comes frist :frown: - 1980 with 590 on the Math section.
Just to give everyone an idea of how pointlessly stupid the writing section is:

The first time I took it (and the first administration of the test) I received a score of 750. My grammar subscore was perfect (80/80); my essay garnered a 7/12.

The second time I took the SAT (only a month later) I recieved a score of 730. This time my grammar subsection was 69/80 and my essay was perfect- 12/12.

Collegeboard fails at life.

Latest

Trending

Trending