The Student Room Group

Why do some christians hate homosexuals?

I mean,it's like some Christians pick and choose from the bible;The bible was written by people,so there are bound to show flaws,but it is written through inspiration of god,so why people are so quick to judge on certain individuals,like your not GOD,sometimes I feel like some some Christians use this,as a way to cover up there sins and act inferior to others,so maybe they won't feel guilty about themselves being on the worse end ;to me Religion ,is self-contradictory,for example there is further accumulating evidence of people being gay is not a choice,but people still insist it is a mental disorder or it's just the action it's self;however it would make it impossible,because of sex drive,oh and why are some Christians against same sex marriage,I just don't understand,if it's clearly your definition that marriage is between a man and woman,than why bother on gay marriage,if it's clearly from your perspective not ideal and authentic;they not hurting you,your hurting yourself.

I believe in God and admire Buddhist aesthetics,but i am getting sick and tired on a whole that some Christians our ruining our reputation.

No rude comments pls;keep it logical

Scroll to see replies

Just thought I'd point out that there are plenty of non-religious or members of other religions who don't accept homosexuality. Being a Christian doesn't mean you can't think for yourself and have your own set of beliefs. Society evolves over time and so do people's views
Reply 2
There is no biblical justification for hating homosexuals. 'Love the sinner, hate the sin' and all that.
I've heard people say homophobia is the 21st century's racism.

By this, I have heard people say, why was it only in 2014, homosexuals could marry someone of their own sex when interracial marriage has been around for a lot longer?
Although, it is mostly people who feel that traditional values or religious people who seem to be against it.

So, why is it morally acceptable to be homophobic but not racist?
Original post by 2ne1Aaron
I mean,it's like some Christians pick and choose from the bible;The bible was written by people,so there are bound to show flaws,but it is written through inspiration of god,so why people are so quick to judge on certain individuals,like your not GOD,sometimes I feel like some some Christians use this,as a way to cover up there sins and act inferior to others,so maybe they won't feel guilty about themselves being on the worse end ;to me Religion ,is self-contradictory,for example there is further accumulating evidence of people being gay is not a choice,but people still insist it is a mental disorder or it's just the action it's self;however it would make it impossible,because of sex drive,oh and why are some Christians against same sex marriage,I just don't understand,if it's clearly your definition that marriage is between a man and woman,than why bother on gay marriage,if it's clearly from your perspective not ideal and authentic;they not hurting you,your hurting yourself.

I believe in God and admire Buddhist aesthetics,but i am getting sick and tired on a whole that some Christians our ruining our reputation.

But there is an obvious answer to your question so why do we need this thread? All it will bring in the long term is hateful comments, lol.
Reply 5
Original post by ivybridge
But there is an obvious answer to your question so why do we need this thread? All it will bring in the long term is hateful comments, lol.

Lol never thought in that way,I really just wanted to see other views tbh,lol I feel embarrassed.
Lol never thought in that way,I really just wanted to see other views tbh,lol I feel embarrassed.

But you know their views already?

Morality, "Man shall not lie with man kind as with woman kind, it is abomination", unnatural and defies natural laws due to the inability to reproduce, God made Adam and Eve and not Adam and Steve, etc.etc.
Original post by Hariex
There is no biblical justification for hating homosexuals. 'Love the sinner, hate the sin' and all that.

There is though. You should know by now, as everyone should, that when you want to find an idea in your faith, you want to find some representation of your own belief, you will. The Bible can be interpreted in so many ways - hence why people like the followers of the Westboro Baptist Church always manage to argue their points "well" no matter how vile and absurd they are... because you can find what you want to find in the Bible, it is open to interpretation.

Someone made a thread exactly like this before.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56253843
Why do Christians [some] claim to have no problem with homosexuality

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
But you know their views already?

Morality, "Man shall not lie with man kind as with woman kind, it is abomination", unnatural and defies natural laws due to the inability to reproduce, God made Adam and Eve and not Adam and Steve, etc.etc.

I know,but the action it's self not being gay,hence it's complex because that's like someone saying there heterosexual themselves but they can't have sex.
We don't hate people who are attracted to people of the same sex. We hate sodomy which is an immoral sexual act out side of marriage.
I know,but the action it's self not being gay,hence it's complex because that's like someone saying there heterosexual themselves but they can't have sex.

Because homosexuality is characterised by same sex SEXUAL attraction. I guarantee you no genuine, out, homosexual man or woman doesn't have any sexual contact - none are celibate - there's a difference between being homoromantic and asexual, and being homosexual.

I don't really like the whole "action itself is wrong" argument because, for one, that's referencing to a same-sex sexual practise with a focus on male sexuality. Homosexuality is not exclusive to the male population. Furthermore, that is what homosexuality really is - same-sex sexual and physical, as well as emotional, attraction so really, you just hate homosexuals and the act is a bonus point in your mind.

(Not you literally, I know you're being supportive :smile:)
Original post by william walker
We don't hate people who are attracted to people of the same sex. We hate sodomy which is an immoral sexual act out side of marriage.

Homosexuality is not restricted to men. You guys seem more interested in anal sex than we do. Heterosexuals take part in a great deal of anal sex, inside and outside of marriage. Anal sex is not an "outside of marriage" act - it's a sex act. It is not bound to any single relationship system.

You essentially do hate people attracted to the same sex because you're talking about living a celibate life and so on - well that defeats the object of even having a sexuality, doesn't it? Homosexuality is characterised by same-sex sexual, physical and emotional attraction. The smokescreen doesn't work, pal.

Edit: why are you not kicking-up the same fuss about promiscuous men and women? People who have sex and live together without getting married? People who use contraception? People who wear clothes of mixed fibres? People who shave?

You pick and choose what to follow from your faith.

Edit 2: You mention morality and so on but you do realise that you follow some modified code of ethics? That in itself basically just proves morality is completely subjective as many would disagree with you and therefore, morality cannot be objective or fixed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Homosexuality is not restricted to men. You guys seem more interested in anal sex than we do. Heterosexuals take part in a great deal of anal sex, inside and outside of marriage. Anal sex is not an "outside of marriage" act - it's a sex act. It is not bound to any single relationship system.

You essentially do hate people attracted to the same sex because you're talking about living a celibate life and so on - well that defeats the object of even having a sexuality, doesn't it? Homosexuality is characterised by same-sex sexual, physical and emotional attraction. The smokescreen doesn't work, pal.

Edit: why are you not kicking-up the same fuss about promiscuous men and women? People who have sex and live together without getting married? People who use contraception? People who wear clothes of mixed fibres? People who shave?

You pick and choose what to follow from your faith.

Yeah and it should be limited and constrained by laws and social ostracism. All sexual acts outside marriage should be.

No I hate immoral sexual acts.

What does that have to do with morality? I am kicking up a fuss about people in normal relationships having sex outside marriage, having abortions and not getting marriage.

No actually I can't pick and choose my religion as it is based on the legacy of my ancestors and maintaining my power and liberty.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Because homosexuality is characterised by same sex SEXUAL attraction. I guarantee you no genuine, out, homosexual man or woman doesn't have any sexual contact - none are celibate - there's a difference between being homoromantic and asexual, and being homosexual.

I don't really like the whole "action itself is wrong" argument because, for one, that's referencing to a same-sex sexual practise with a focus on male sexuality. Homosexuality is not exclusive to the male population. Furthermore, that is what homosexuality really is - same-sex sexual and physical, as well as emotional, attraction so really, you just hate homosexuals and the act is a bonus point in your mind.

(Not you literally, I know you're being supportive :smile:)
Thanks,it just bothers me that people go against gay people for just being themselves,they not hurting you,your just hurting your self.There are so many worse things in the Earth,that we need to care about.

As a catholic I feel that their hate is from their interpretation of the bible.
I'm also a bisexual IVF created female so maybe that shows how much of a liberal Christian I am.
Original post by william walker
Yeah and it should be limited and constrained by laws and social ostracism. All sexual acts outside marriage should be.

No I hate immoral sexual acts.

What does that have to do with morality? I am kicking up a fuss about people in normal relationships having sex outside marriage, having abortions and not getting marriage.

No actually I can't pick and choose my religion as it is based on the legacy of my ancestors and maintaining my power and liberty.

I have responded to your post as a whole and I deemed everything written in it to be relevant.

As for the maintaining bit - that is you choosing. You are consciously choosing to MAINTAIN the faith and legacy others left behind for you - that is your choice. It is incredibly weak-minded of you to try and act as though your beliefs are not optional. They are. If you choose to be uneducated about issues such as sexuality, then you choose to put up that mental barrier. No one has PUSHED you into a line of thought.
Original post by OliveMonty
As a catholic I feel that their hate is from their interpretation of the bible.
I'm also a bisexual IVF created female so maybe that shows how much of a liberal Christian I am.

Finally, someone else has said this. I felt like I was the only one saying it (the interpretation stuff) on this forum for ages.

Just out of curiosity - why do you identify as a Catholic when they condemn literally everything you stand for? I am a christened catholic and attended faith denomination schools all my life (catholic) - so I do know about this sort of stuff and I'm not trying to be rude, I fully respect your right to practise your faith. :smile:
Finally, someone else has said this. I felt like I was the only one saying it (the interpretation stuff) on this forum for ages.

Just out of curiosity - why do you identify as a Catholic when they condemn literally everything you stand for? I am a christened catholic and attended faith denomination schools all my life (catholic) - so I do know about this sort of stuff and I'm not trying to be rude, I fully respect your right to practise your faith. :smile:

Again my family are very liberal Catholics but I'll try to answer as best as I can.
I was baptised Catholic at the age of 6, my mum and dad wanted me to make my own choice.
I only started attending church at the age of 9 as the priest made us feel very welcome.
Many Catholics I know disagree with what is said in the bible. The priests at my church will often refuse to read certain gospels that contain racist/homophobic/sexist verses.
Also the current pope is a real babe to put it simply.
To give you an idea my priest congratulated me in front of the whole congregation during his homily for attending pride as a first aider.
Many people in my church come from deprived areas so I guess my priest tries to preach love of neighbour over fiery pits of eternal damnation.
I hope this answers your questions. And you were not being rude don't worry.
Original post by OliveMonty
Again my family are very liberal Catholics but I'll try to answer as best as I can.
I was baptised Catholic at the age of 6, my mum and dad wanted me to make my own choice.
I only started attending church at the age of 9 as the priest made us feel very welcome.
Many Catholics I know disagree with what is said in the bible. The priests at my church will often refuse to read certain gospels that contain racist/homophobic/sexist verses.
Also the current pope is a real babe to put it simply.
To give you an idea my priest congratulated me in front of the whole congregation during his homily for attending pride as a first aider.
Many people in my church come from deprived areas so I guess my priest tries to preach love of neighbour over fiery pits of eternal damnation.
I hope this answers your questions. And you were not being rude don't worry.

They sound lovely but do you not think they are the exception to the rule and you're not really a true catholic considering they don't follow the general teachings of their own faith? Has this ever concerned you?

Thanks for answering - it's interesting!