The Student Room Group

Wanting to lose 6 stone

I am a female weighing around 17 stone.
Any advice on how I can loose 6 stone healthily and keep it off?
Reply 1
* lose
Cut your calorie intake and exercise... MyFitnessPal is really good - if you record everything you eat you will find that you start to care more about what foods and how much you eat.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Seriously, go vegetarian (vegan if you can hack it) , you will find yourself eating less often as snacking may not be so easy, fast food etc is a no no most of the time.

I am the only veggie in the house atm, so I cook my own meals, which helps SO much with healthy meal planning.

The amount of weight you want to lose is great, and also that you have made the decision and are moving in the right direction.

It's a big goal, and will require a lifestyle change, rather than just a diet and more walking. Vegetarianism will aid this lifestyle change (also meat is murder, kids).

I have made assumptions here of course, but nonetheless, hope this gives you something to think about :smile:
Drink a lot of water, reduce your intake gradually, more veg and fruit but treat yourself to your favourite foods once in a while!!

do it slowly, otherwise you`ll end up having food meltdown and going crazy on takeaway (yes i have done this lol)
Apps like Myfitnesspal and so on can be a great help! I won't lie to you, losing weight is HARD to do. Find some type of exercise you like, yoga, pilates, martial arts, anything that seems interesting and keeps you in activity. It's easier to lose weight when you do some kind of exercise you like, even though it might be hard. Cut down on soda and start drinking water (just this can help a lot actually). If you really are motivated to do this, you should contact your GP and get help monitoring your health :smile:

Good luck!!!
Original post by joeamoz
Seriously, go vegetarian (vegan if you can hack it) , you will find yourself eating less often as snacking may not be so easy, fast food etc is a no no most of the time.

I am the only veggie in the house atm, so I cook my own meals, which helps SO much with healthy meal planning.

The amount of weight you want to lose is great, and also that you have made the decision and are moving in the right direction.

It's a big goal, and will require a lifestyle change, rather than just a diet and more walking. Vegetarianism will aid this lifestyle change (also meat is murder, kids).

I have made assumptions here of course, but nonetheless, hope this gives you something to think about :smile:

I second this. Try vegetarianism(or veganism, which is even better) and you'll feel the weight slowly coming off.

I've always had a bit of a battle with my weight, and in the past I've dieted(restricted/counted my calories, starved myself etc) quite a lot. Sure the dieting worked and the weight did come off fairly quickly but the only thing that I've noticed with this method was that it just wasn't sustainable enough. I've changed to a 75% vegan/15% vegetarian diet now, and although the weight isn't creeping off as fast as before I feel like I can eat whatever I want whenever I want, plus I really believe this lifestyle is much more sustainable! It's made me more conscious of what I feed my body and has taught me how to cook for myself. I've literally spent -and still am- this summer cooking healthy meals, and have actually managed to convince my family to try veganism. Feeding yourself with wholesome natural foods is the key here :smile: (Also knowing that you're not contributing to the meat/dairy industry is pretty awesome too.) Even if you can't completely remove meat, slowly wean into it. Try meatless Mondays! You don't have to completely remove meat at once, a small change in your weekly diet is enough.

I understand that this kind of lifestyle isn't for everyone, but I just wanted to share my experiences. Hopefully it gives you something to think about like the previous poster said, good luck! :h:
Do some exercise, watch your calorie intake and portion control, you should also generally educate yourself on health and nutrition, a lot of people think what they are eating is healthy but in reality it isn't. You dont need to go vegetarian or vegan to lose weight as some others have suggested, I have lost 8 stone while eating meat.
Cambridge diet, worked wonders for me I lost 4 1/2 stones, or if u don't want to do it lower your carb intake and try to eliminate processed food

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I'll happily be your diet buddy.

Quick Reply

Latest