The Student Room Group

Can my boss fire me (as an apprentice) and re-hire me for the exact same position?

I have been wondering whether it would be possible to talk with my boss about this subject. As neither of us see the learning side as helpful to what I do, most of what I go into the academy for, to do lessons, I have done previously at work. And the in-work courses are asking me to divert time from work, to create something the company doesn't need.
So quite simply, I was thinking of seeing if it would be possible for him to fire me as an apprentice, and re-hire me but as an actual employee.

I don't see any use in my apprenticeship (social media & digital marketing, seriously, who needs that as a qualification?), I only took it so I could get a job easier with no experience.
My boss doesn't seem to care about the apprenticeship side of it, and said he didn't really want another apprentice. (So I can only assume that he wouldn't care either way)

If this is possible, how would I go about bringing this up as a topic?
Reason I ask, is because I basically see this as an "I want a raise" sort of question (which, yes, is one of my personal reasons for wanting to get out of the apprenticeship part). There's a few main reasons I don't want to continue as an apprentice; low pay, travelling to the academy once a month (it's just a hassle, which I have to pay for), in-work assignments don't actually correlate to the work I do, and the in-work meetings (with assessors) is just a hassle too, as we don't have meeting rooms, so if they come in on a date other meetings are going on, then there's issues.
Original post by jordsta95
I have been wondering whether it would be possible to talk with my boss about this subject. As neither of us see the learning side as helpful to what I do, most of what I go into the academy for, to do lessons, I have done previously at work. And the in-work courses are asking me to divert time from work, to create something the company doesn't need.
So quite simply, I was thinking of seeing if it would be possible for him to fire me as an apprentice, and re-hire me but as an actual employee.

I don't see any use in my apprenticeship (social media & digital marketing, seriously, who needs that as a qualification?), I only took it so I could get a job easier with no experience.
My boss doesn't seem to care about the apprenticeship side of it, and said he didn't really want another apprentice. (So I can only assume that he wouldn't care either way)

If this is possible, how would I go about bringing this up as a topic?
Reason I ask, is because I basically see this as an "I want a raise" sort of question (which, yes, is one of my personal reasons for wanting to get out of the apprenticeship part). There's a few main reasons I don't want to continue as an apprentice; low pay, travelling to the academy once a month (it's just a hassle, which I have to pay for), in-work assignments don't actually correlate to the work I do, and the in-work meetings (with assessors) is just a hassle too, as we don't have meeting rooms, so if they come in on a date other meetings are going on, then there's issues.

hi of course your boss you could do that, as long as he has sufficient power of in terms of management, however its likely if your on a low wage he is getting paid to have you as an apprentice and also paying you a lesser wage (as bad as it is) is better for him/ the business. but if your friendly with your boss talk to him about it ? dont go shooting yourself though, think about the qualifications and if you really do need that for the future >?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending