The Student Room Group

A Level options - Should I change my future career path completely?

Hi, I may be asking questions that have been answerd to quite an extent already...but never the less...I basically want(ed) to become a system analysist (requires programming) or network mangaer, something quite high end in the world of computers when it comes to jobs. Now I am fully aware computing is FAR more admirable/superior than any ICT course, forgive me but I am not too good at maths, so I was not able to study computing a GCSE, and probaly not a A-Level as I believe I achived a D in GCSE maths (of course I have to wait, but I'm fairly sure I didn't scrape a C). (After 2 years BTEC L3 IT, you can study system analysing; in HND/C, but Uni always want an A* star in A Level maths)Anyways, I decided to pick BTEC L3 IT, however, it is a BTEC and only studying one thing, doesn't sound to good, and may become monotonus. So to be more sensible, I decied to pick some A-Levels that I will enjoy, but also look good on a Uni applcation: English Langauge+Literature A-Level Law- (or Politics, I know Law, is better) - Or I can comtinue to study DT Grpahics, of course, architechture requires something high in maths too, I imagine.OCR BTEC L3 ITAnd retake maths (if I do get a C in maths, I will study this new course, basically it is like a foundation version of A-Level maths and gives you one AS, better than noting in maths, right)?So my main question is, should I change my future job in IT? To something that requires a job or Uni course less rigorous about maths. Like English Litriture, or Law, maybe even teaching ICT in a secondary school? I have thought about becoming a teacher.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by Just_Another_One
Hi, I may be asking questions that have been answerd to quite an extent already...but never the less...I basically want(ed) to become a system analysist (resquires programming) or network mangaer, something quite high end in the world of computers when it comes to jobs. Now I am fully aware computing is FAR more admirable/superior than any ICT course, forgive me but I am not too good at maths, so I was not able to study computing a GCSE, and probaly not a A-Level as I believe I achived a D in GCSE maths (of course I have to wait, but I'm fairly sure I didn't scrape a C). (After 2 years BTEC L3 IT, you can study system analysing; in HND/C, but Uni always want an A* star in A Level maths)Anyways, I decided to pick BTEC L3 IT, however, it is a BTEC and only studying one thing, doesn't sound to good, and may become monotonus. So to be more sensible, I decied to pick some A-Levels that I will enjoy, but also look good on a Uni applcation: English Langauge+Literature A-Level Law- (or Politics, I know Law, is better) - Or I can comtinue to study DT Grpahics, of course, architechture requires something high in maths too, I imagine.OCR BTEC L3 ITAnd retake maths (if I do get a C in maths, I will study this new course, basically it is like a foundation version of A-Level maths and gives you one AS, better than noting in maths, right)?So my main question is, should I change my future job in IT? To something that requires a job or Uni course less rigorous about maths. Like English Litriture, or Law, maybe even teaching ICT in a secondary school? I have thought about becoming a teacher.

Hi. Unless you're 100% about wanting to work in IT then I wouldn't do the BTEC, however I don't think a C in GCSE maths would really be great preparation in a short course in maths (the one you said is equivalent to the AS qualification) and if I were you I'd pick something you enjoy instead anyway. If I were you I'd study A Level ICT. This is different to computing and not as maths-heavy. Then you mentioned English and Law or politics A Levels. I think you should do politics as you seem to prefer the idea of this and it is generally a more respected A level than law anyway. ICT, combined English and Politics world put you in good stead for a degree in ICT, English or law, and you don't have to worry about maths. (To teach ICT in a secondary school, you would still need to do a degree in ICT, before a teaching qualification).

I hope this helps- good luck.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest