The Student Room Group

Licking your lips at a stranger when you're in a relationship?? Acceptable?

So I was on the Tube with a friend and her dad (who's in his late 30s and married, so not exactly senile lol) earlier today as I was seeing them in London.

There was this really attractive hipster/goth looking girl sitting opposite us (she looked like Ruby Rose) in leather jacket, ripped jeans and Doc Martens, and she was doing the blank stare thing into empty space as she was getting ready to get off. I was looking to my left and so could see my friend's dad out of the corner of my eye as I was waiting for the tube to stop too.

Suddenly my friend's dad made eye contact with the girl (not sure if he looked her up and down too) and as I turned to look at him he licked his lips, you could see she was freaked out as she stared and then pretty much jumped off her seat and ran off the train. I was so surprised I almost forgot to say goodbye to my friend and couldnt look her dad in the eye. I don't think she noticed as she was on her phone. Dunno if I should tell her lol.

Do you think this is acceptable to do in a relationship? (being creepy to strangers) if it doesnt go further?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As in, licked his lips at her while making eye contact btw
Maybe he just had dry lips? Or wanted Ruby rose not to have dry lips?
Reply 3
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Maybe he just had dry lips? Or wanted Ruby rose not to have dry lips?

hahahahaha

Id be freaked out as hell if an older guy looked me in the eye and did that though
:lolwut:

That's so creepy. Totally unacceptable IMO
Who licks their lips at random strangers in the first place? :K:
Reply 6
Original post by Most Competitive
That's so creepy. Totally unacceptable IMO

Creepy if you're in a relationship or generally? I don't think its ever acceptable but dunno if I'm overreacting cos my friend's mum is lovely lol.

He's nice to his wife to her face but says nasty things behind her back, and keeps making weird comments to me and my other friends whenever we visit :eek:

vee_wuvshugs
Who licks their lips at random strangers in the first place?

I dunno lmao, I could understand if he was some 70 year old who didn't know what he was doing but he's in his late 30s and quite a smart guy lol
Depends, did he recently eat a packet of salt and vinegar crisps?
Reply 8
Original post by yelllowribbon
Depends, did he recently eat a packet of salt and vinegar crisps?

Loool
Original post by Anonymous
Loool

Or a sugared doughnut? Trust me, it's nearly impossible to not lick your lips after munching through those
Or a sugared doughnut? Trust me, it's nearly impossible to not lick your lips after munching through those

Looked like he wanted a piece of her..
The guy sounds like a total creep - not necessarily because of the lip-licking, but if his wife is lovely and he makes mean comments about her behind her back, then that's just a really *****y thing to do.

Personally, I'm not the kind of person who minds wolf-whistles or being looked up and down - I think there's a risk that people get too uptight about these things. As long as there is no threat and people respect the boundaries of personal space, I think it's reasonable for people to show appreciation for the opposite sex.

For people who are in relationships, however, I think it's totally inappropriate and disrespectful to the person's partner.
Creepy if you're in a relationship or generally? I don't think its ever acceptable but dunno if I'm overreacting cos my friend's mum is lovely lol.

He's nice to his wife to her face but says nasty things behind her back, and keeps making weird comments to me and my other friends whenever we visit :eek:

I dunno lmao, I could understand if he was some 70 year old who didn't know what he was doing but he's in his late 30s and quite a smart guy lol

I guess it could be understandable if he was a teenager, but he's a married man in his 30s ffs.

I agree that it's always unacceptable. He's just ungrateful for what he's got.
Original post by Plumstone
The guy sounds like a total creep - not necessarily because of the lip-licking, but if his wife is lovely and he makes mean comments about her behind her back, then that's just a really *****y thing to do.

Personally, I'm not the kind of person who minds wolf-whistles or being looked up and down - I think there's a risk that people get too uptight about these things. As long as there is no threat and people respect the boundaries of personal space, I think it's reasonable for people to show appreciation for the opposite sex.

For people who are in relationships, however, I think it's totally inappropriate and disrespectful to the person's partner.

I don't mind being wolf whistled at if I've already made eyes at the guy or something, I think it's rude if you haven't acknowledged the person though. Plus I think licking your lips is a step beyond and obviously the girl wasn't exactly inviting it, she looked horrified.

Should I tell my friend?

Most Competitive
I guess it could be understandable if he was a teenager, but he's a married man in his 30s ffs.

I agree that it's always unacceptable. He's just ungrateful for what he's got.

Yeah dunno if I should tell my friend. Feel really creeped out for some reason.

He seems to think he's a teenager, keeps saying stuff like "bruv" and going on skateboards despite the fact he has a PhD. Oh well lol
I don't mind being wolf whistled at if I've already made eyes at the guy or something, I think it's rude if you haven't acknowledged the person though. Plus I think licking your lips is a step beyond and obviously the girl wasn't exactly inviting it, she looked horrified.

Should I tell my friend?

Hmm...well your friend might not appreciate having you cast aspersions on her father, but if it genuinely made you feel uncomfortable, then it's not unreasonable for you to talk to her about it.
Looked like he wanted a piece of her..

Yeah, sounds pretty creepy
Yeah, sounds pretty creepy

what would you do if someone did that to you :lol:
Winking isn't too bad but licking lips is going too far imo...
Original post by bassbabe
Winking isn't too bad but licking lips is going too far imo...

Yeah I wouldnt flirt at all if I were in a relationship, but winking is kind of OK if you're not in one I guess.

Licking lips just = pervy :shudder:
Did he lick his lips in an intentional creepy way, or absent mindedly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending