The Student Room Group

What exactly is a mickey mouse degree?

I have seen this term used around here a lot (i was googling some stuff on tsr) so what exactly does a course have to consist of (the modules) for it to be considered mickey mousey? Because someone who does music at Cambridge can still be hugely successful.

Is it about the usefulness of the skills taught? the practicality? the ease/speed with which the degree lands one a job?

Or maybe, at the top institutes, you can do f all but when it comes to lower less prestigious ones, the criteria for mickey mousiness applies in greater depth.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'd guess a degree that any child could learn. I.e. one that won't impress a potential employer.
Because Mickey Mouse isn't real and neither is the value of the degree.
Original post by AgentMooHoo
I'd guess a degree that any child could learn. I.e. one that won't impress a potential employer.

First you need to define what wouldn't impress a potential employer; you may find that those two points you've just made are not equivalent. For instance, if you assume that, as the original poster seems to be suggesting, music isn't impressive - from an employment point of view - that is not the same as saying, "Any child could learn it" for they definitely could not deal with learning the theory of music and writing extensively on it in essay form.
Reply 3
Because Mickey Mouse isn't real and neither is the value of the degree.

One of the degrees I applied for, International business and economics, people say international business is a mickey mouse degree, when in reality it is just a business administration degree with an extra language taught. Is business a bad degree? I found the modules (a mix of finance, management, + the economics side to be very very quantitative and relevant.).

I think most people just label it without thinking it through.

But for me, a music degree is a mickey mouse degree, as I cannot see why your average employer would want someone with that.
Reply 4
Original post by Furios
I have seen this term used around here a lot (i was googling some stuff on tsr) so what exactly does a course have to consist of (the modules) for it to be considered mickey mousey? Because someone who does music at Cambridge can still be hugely successful.

Is it about the usefulness of the skills taught? the practicality? the ease/speed with which the degree lands one a job?

Or maybe, at the top institutes, you can do f all but when it comes to lower less prestigious ones, the criteria for mickey mousiness applies in greater depth.

I'd say it's do with the usefulness and practicality.

Gender Studies, anyone?
Reply 5
It's a degree in Disney Characters BSc at Cambridge Anglia Ruskin.
Reply 6
Original post by flibber
I'd say it's do with the usefulness and practicality.

Gender Studies, anyone?

Hmm but won't a background in gender studies be useful in say, an activist organisation? like an ngo?
lol.jpg This.
Original post by Paraphilos
First you need to define what wouldn't impress a potential employer; you may find that those two points you've just made are not equivalent. For instance, if you assume that, as the original poster seems to be suggesting, music isn't impressive - from an employment point of view - that is not the same as saying, "Any child could learn it" for they definitely could not deal with learning the theory of music and writing extensively on it in essay form.

You're asking me for a definitive definition for an arbitrary colloquial phrase. It isn't possible for me to give that definition.

If you want something more accurate you'll have to refer to a dictionary. I thought we were just having a normal conversation here.
You are all swift to judge music as a 'mickey mouse' degree which I find quite interesting; if you study music you will find that there is a vast array of theoretical, artistic and mystical aspects to it that make it fairly interesting and difficult to understand at times too - to me, this defines something of some worth.

But of course, to define a 'mickey mouse' degree is impossible, for everyone has their own personal perception of what is worth something and what isn't. It seems like a lot of you base the value of a degree on its exchange value i.e. to get a job.
Reply 10
You are all swift to judge music as a 'mickey mouse' degree which I find quite interesting; if you study music you will find that there is a vast array of theoretical, artistic and mystical aspects to it that make it fairly interesting and difficult to understand at times too - to me, this defines something of some worth.

But of course, to define a 'mickey mouse' degree is impossible, for everyone has their own personal perception of what is worth something and what isn't. It seems like a lot of you base the value of a degree on its exchange value i.e. to get a job.

I know for a fact that I am underestimating the worth and intellectual challenge of a music degree, thing is, I think employers also think like me, in which case we need to actually need to know what a real mickey degree is.
It isn't possible for me to give that definition.

That is what I am insinuating indeed. It isn't possible to give a definitive list of worthless degrees because, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
A job that will enable you to work in Disneyland. Engineering, business etc
Original post by Furios
One of the degrees I applied for, International business and economics, people say international business is a mickey mouse degree, when in reality it is just a business administration degree with an extra language taught. Is business a bad degree? I found the modules (a mix of finance, management, + the economics side to be very very quantitative and relevant.).

I think most people just label it without thinking it through.

But for me, a music degree is a mickey mouse degree, as I cannot see why your average employer would want someone with that.

I tend to agree that people label it without thinking it through. Cause everyone seems to want to be the big man these days.

Some people who have had to learn good business the hard way, by experience, might begrudge you learning it the easy way, by academia. Maybe that's why they dismiss it or pass on a dismissal meme.

As for music, I doubt many people would do that degree for employment. Maybe self employment but not to be employed by another. Unless it was for a specific job in the music industry like studio sound technician or something like that. Those can get quite technical and require a considerable understanding of sound levels, gain, reverb, channels etc.
Reply 14
Original post by r_u_jelly
A job that will enable you to work in Disneyland. Engineering, business etc

Lol. will rep when I can again.
That is what I am insinuating indeed. It isn't possible to give a definitive list of worthless degrees because, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But that doesn't mean we should avoid answering the OP. The definition I guessed at didn't attempt to imply rationality, just it's possible use.

2 second google search later:

Mickey Mouse Job
A job done incorrectly in an extremely poor manner using the simplest, easiest, cheapest and fastest way possible.

So I'm guessing it's the same concept just applied to degrees.
Original post by Furios
Hmm but won't a background in gender studies be useful in say, an activist organisation? like an ngo?

Nah- what's the point of wasting 3 years of your life on it?

There's a course called 'MSc Breast Imaging', although I guess it has some serious uses (detecting breast cancer, mammograms etc. ) at London Southbank so I wouldn't call it a Mickey Mouse degree.

A London Southbank degree called 'Culinary Arts' sounds funny- that'd definitely be something I'd call a Mickey Mouse degree.
(edited 8 years ago)
You're asking me for a definitive definition for an arbitrary colloquial phrase. It isn't possible for me to give that definition.

If you want something more accurate you'll have to refer to a dictionary. I thought we were just having a normal conversation here.

emboldened word is the key one in discussion of Mickey Mouse degrees ...

especially on TSR.
Reply 18
Original post by flibber
Nah- what's the point of wasting 3 years of your life on it?

There's a course called 'MSc Breast Imaging', although I guess it has some serious uses (detecting breast cancer, mammograms etc. ) at London Southbank

A London Southbank degree called 'Culinary Arts' sounds funny.

Yeah culinary arts, deffo a mickey that one. Msc breast imaging, well..
But that doesn't mean we should avoid answering the OP.

Unfortunately it's hard to give him an answer. There are people who genuinely have a desire to learn gender studies - the subject has a meaning for them. They probably don't care what JP Morgan think of their life choices; to them, that is irrelevant since they have witnessed enough value in the material itself.

Quick Reply

Latest