The Student Room Group

All the muscle seems to be going to my arms?

Since starting the gym I have put on 5 kg, but it has pretty much all gone to my arms. I workout chest, back, biceps, triceps and shoulders but I have only put on mass on my arms, why is this?
Aren't you the guy who's only been going to the gym for a month? Arms are just an easy place to notice muscle gains. Stick at it and the rest will come - you can't expect results too quickly. :smile:
You haven't put 5kg onto your arms alone or they'd be huge.
As said above there is no way you've put 5kg on your arms. What workout are you doing?
Reply 4
Original post by will_jg
As said above there is no way you've put 5kg on your arms. What workout are you doing?

Well when I started I was 79kg, just weighed myself today on same gym scales and i'm now 84kg, and the only part that looks bigger is my arms

I do chest and triceps one day (flat Bench press, incline bench press, cable flies, tricep exercises that I don't know the name of)

Next day I do back and biceps

Next day I do shoulders

I do each of these twice a week
Reply 5
And you don't do legs?! Ever?!
You're hitting your arms 6 days a week, of course that's where you're going to notice growth first.
Reply 7
Original post by abc101
And you don't do legs?! Ever?!

No I already have ok legs I want to focus on my upper body at the moment
Original post by zigglr
Well when I started I was 79kg, just weighed myself today on same gym scales and i'm now 84kg, and the only part that looks bigger is my arms

I do chest and triceps one day (flat Bench press, incline bench press, cable flies, tricep exercises that I don't know the name of)

Next day I do back and biceps

Next day I do shoulders

I do each of these twice a week

Get yourself on a proper weight training programme. What you're currently doing is hitting arms 6x per week. Keep in mind when you train back and shoulders etc, depending on the exercise you may also be hitting your triceps/biceps.
The routine's fine, lol. It's a typical c/t, b/b, l/s split without the legs. If he doesn't want to do the legs part, that's his own decision. :lol:
Reply 10
Original post by will_jg
Get yourself on a proper weight training programme. What you're currently doing is hitting arms 6x per week. Keep in mind when you train back and shoulders etc, depending on the exercise you may also be hitting your triceps/biceps.

Lol I am just working out all muscle groups though apart legs
Reply 11
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
You're hitting your arms 6 days a week, of course that's where you're going to notice growth first.

Thanks, hopefully it's not because i'm not capable of growing muscles in those areas or something lol
You may be having trouble activating your chest/back when working them out therefore all your growth would be going to their synergist muscles which would be your biceps/triceps.

Try to focus on really activating your chest and back when doing exercises for them. A good way to do this is before your regular workout routine, do an exercise where you feel the movement working your chest/back the most (called pre-exhausting) then move on to your other exercises. This way your chest and back will be better activated and will allow the growth to primarily go to those muscles rather than your biceps or triceps.

Good chest activation exercises:
- cable flies
- dumbbell flies
- pushups

Tip for activating your back:
Think about pulling with your elbow rather than your hand (I know it sounds a little weird) as this will help you to use your back more than your biceps throughout the movement.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by studentsfitness
You may be having trouble activating your chest/back when working them out therefore all your growth would be going to their synergist muscles which would be your biceps/triceps.

Try to focus on really activating your chest and back when doing exercises for them. A good way to do this is before your regular workout routine, do an exercise where you feel the movement working your chest/back the most (called pre-exhausting) then move on to your other exercises. This way your chest and back will be better activated and will allow the growth to primarily go to those muscles rather than your biceps or triceps.

Good chest activation exercises:
- cable flies
- dumbbell flies
- pushups

Tip for activating your back:
Think about pulling with your elbow rather than your hand (I know it sounds a little weird) as this will help you to use your back more than your biceps throughout the movement.

Good luck :smile:

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
The routine's fine, lol. It's a typical c/t, b/b, l/s split without the legs. If he doesn't want to do the legs part, that's his own decision. :lol:

Do you guys have any tips for increasing the thickness of my back? I'm currently doing deadlifts, pullups and bent over rows. Thanks
Reply 14
All kinds of fat gains! All kindz
Original post by zigglr
Do you guys have any tips for increasing the thickness of my back? I'm currently doing deadlifts, pullups and bent over rows. Thanks

Heavy deadlifts, bent-over barbell rows, seated rows (most row movements are great for thickness).
Funnily enough its gone on my legs(chest and arms are coming, but slowly).

Quick Reply

Latest