The Student Room Group

Clearing in Medicine?

If you don't meet your conditional I know that most students follow through with clearing. But I heard that Universities don't offer seats for Medicine through clearing? Is this true? Do any universities take in students for the A100 course through clearing ?
Original post by Hedwig97
If you don't meet your conditional I know that most students follow through with clearing. But I heard that Universities don't offer seats for Medicine through clearing? Is this true? Do any universities take in students for the A100 course through clearing ?

This is very much true - medical schools are heavily oversubscribed and do not ordinarily enter Clearing. If a medical school is in the unlikely position of having spare places come results day, they will usually offer them to applicants who were rejected following interview or who are on a reserve list.
Clearing isn't for medical schools as interview is required by the GMC guidelines, plus the DBS and selection and Occupational Health, these require more time than Clearing allows.
I think there were one or maybe two cases in the last 5 years where some of the new med schools ended up with a couple of places in clearing. Its certainly extremely rare though.

Original post by Star Light
Clearing isn't for medical schools as interview is required by the GMC guidelines...

Edinburgh does not interview.

plus the DBS and selection and Occupational Health, these require more time than Clearing allows.

Those are normally done after the offer is made anyway aren't they? Certainly not a barrier to making an offer in the unlikely event a med school did end up in clearing.
Original post by Star Light
Clearing isn't for medical schools as interview is required by the GMC guidelines, plus the DBS and selection and Occupational Health, these require more time than Clearing allows.

I think it's more to do with the fact that Medicine is heavily oversubscribed, and the vast majority of people meet their offers. The purpose of Clearing is to match students who missed their offer/missed the application deadline with places not yet filled, which doesn't apply so much with some courses, one of which is Medicine.

As nexttime pointed out, interviews aren't mandated by the GMC; they're just common practice in almost all medical schools. As for the DBS and Occ Health, as far as I'm aware, no medical school gives you clinical experience from the first week, and those checks are only really necessary for clinical stuff. I can't remember when I did my DBS stuff, but Occ Health wasn't done until a few months into the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending