The Student Room Group

Conservatives scrap maintenance grant, tuition fees will rise with inflation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
Exactly the same way you were before. You just get a bigger loan.

That is simply not sustainable for students and the government.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I think this is reasonable. Grants for everyone or no-one. Your parents income at a snap-shot of your life doesn't affect your ability to pay back the loans after graduation. Almost everyone going to uni is an adult (I know in Scotland it's different) so why are we expected to be reliant on our parents? It is a personal, adult decision to study at university, why should that affect your parent's finances? Everyone should receive the same amount and then if parents choose to give their child assistance that is their choice, if not the student has to budget and/or get a job.

Parents are the sole reason why most people go to university. They provide with the funds for a lot of things. If grants were to be removed, literally every working class student would have to get a part time job whereas the richer student get funded by thier parents. Hence making the richer advantaged when it comes to studying and getting the degree. Many students who have part time jobs cannot cope with the stress that comes with the degree and hence fail.
This is another way to advantage the richer over the poorer.
Original post by rakib567
Parents are the sole reason why most people go to university. They provide with the funds for a lot of things. If grants were to be removed, literally every working class student would have to get a part time job whereas the richer student get funded by thier parents. Hence making the richer advantaged when it comes to studying and getting the degree. Many students who have part time jobs cannot cope with the stress that comes with the degree and hence fail.

Grants are going to be replaced with loans as far as i am reading. It's not as if everybody is going to have a £3000 hole all of a sudden.
The sole difference is the grant didn't have to be paid back and the loan did. When I was at uni I got both and the maintence grant allowed me to get my uni bursary
Original post by _Morsey_
Grants are going to be replaced with loans as far as i am reading. It's not as if everybody is going to have a £3000 hole all of a sudden.

Its tge fact that tgey are piling more loans on us that is the scary bit. I'm Bot saying that every "poorer" student will need to get a job, but they will be forced to a bit more compared to much richer students.
Original post by cake_lover
"How dare those from poorer backgrounds have opportunities!"

Hate the conservatives with a passion, why tf did people vote for them :colonhash:

Give me strength. People from "poor" backgrounds in the UK have more opportunities than ever before.
Going to get hate for this, but isn't this better for working class people? Especially those who are struggling financially? With a lower chance of tax increasing, a lot of poor families and hard working citizens will be very relieved at this news.

Or am I wrong here?
Why the **** did people vote the tories !? Well done seriously. Fair enough labour messed up but they support education and wouldn't have done this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't like this change, move to America where you get almost nothing from the stat and uni fees are twice the cost...
I don't see the fuss, they will still have a loan to cover costs. My parents are funding everything for me and they don't complain
Original post by neal95
I don't see why students are up in arms about this- go to university study hard and get a good job and the repayments will have little effect on your standard of living. Alternativelyif you did a liberal namby pamby course with **** career prospects or you fail to supplement your studies with work experience, then you will most likely be earning below 21 k for a significant amount of time and again, the measure won't effect you. What's the problem then?

There is no problem, and it makes me genuinely sad that people are so up their own arses that they can't distinguish between a minor budget cut and "oppression" or "kicking the poor". This thread is full of people whining like spoiled children when they are told they have to do family chores to pay back their pocket money.

Hate the conservatives with a passion, why tf did people vote for them :colonhash:

Simple because ...............

First they came for the Disabled, and I did not speak out—Because I was not Disabled.
Then they came for Large Families, and I did not speak out—Because I was not from a Large family.
Then they came for the Unemployed, and I did not speak out—Because I was not Unemployed.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Parents are the sole reason why most people go to university. They provide with the funds for a lot of things. If grants were to be removed, literally every working class student would have to get a part time job whereas the richer student get funded by thier parents. Hence making the richer advantaged when it comes to studying and getting the degree. Many students who have part time jobs cannot cope with the stress that comes with the degree and hence fail.This is another way to advantage the richer over the poorer.

People who are entitled to grants will still be getting the same amount of money but will now have to pay it back. This is a much fairer system.

They were scared of a Labour-SNP coalition, well now they'll see their tax credits cut and millions of working people going into poverty. Well, no one else to blame but themselves.

The only cases I've heard of people having to put off uni due to finances are people with parents who earn more but can't or won't help their children. How is it fair that some students get around £4000 a year more to live off (most of which they don't have to pay back)?

And if your parents are the SOLE REASON you went/are going to uni then you need to get your priorities sorted out. You should be getting an education for YOUR future. That should not affect or be affected by your parents.
Original post by Toussaint
If you don't like this change, move to America where you get almost nothing from the stat and uni fees are twice the cost...

At least some universities in America are willing to let you pay nothing just because you got accepted. This is why so many middle-class applicants to UK universities are going abroad; it's much cheaper and are willing to pay for financial assistance.
As far as I can see all this means is that maintenance grant money is now repayable if, and only if, you can afford to repay it.

Why would this stop anyone going to uni?
Univerities popularity in UK is going to slip so low...
More loans..? mannn
Good. Sorry, but good.

I survived my entire 3 years off a loan of £3,575, making ends meet without any help from mum and dad and was beyond pissed when people would use a sizeable chunk of their loan on absolute rubbish.

I personally feel everyone should be entitled to the same loan (not grant) which should cover everything, irrespective of your parents wages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending