The Student Room Group

Conservatives scrap maintenance grant, tuition fees will rise with inflation

This is unbelievable! They will be replaced by maintenance loans.

I assume those of us in Uni will not be affected?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3152873/Osborne-takes-axe-student-grants-1-6-billion-saving-Handouts-replaced-loans-paid-graduation.html

EDIT: Tuition fees will rise with inflation (thanks to calso4 for the link)

Apparently only institutions that can demonstrate excellent teaching can do this, but the 9k fee was also only for 'exceptional' circumstances.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jul/08/budget-2015-grants-poorer-university-students-scrapped-loans
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I accepted the £9 000 fees but now you're just taking the piss.
Reply 2
Is this a response to the increase in BME's and low income families going onto university because of such grants?
This is just the start. Are we going to see Uni fees rise as well?
"How dare those from poorer backgrounds have opportunities!"

Hate the conservatives with a passion, why tf did people vote for them :colonhash:
Original post by JXLS
Is this a response to the increase in BME's and low income families going onto university because of such grants?

Don't exaggerate the importance or the grants or victimise yourself. The grants are one aspect of it. You don't need to pay a penny to go to uni and you only pay back if you earn enough. Besides, higher fees don't seem to have decreased the number of BMEs at uni.
Reply 6
Im gonna ask my boss to pay me £20,999 and ask for any pay rises to be in the form of bonuses and other financial/non-financial incentives.
Reply 7
Original post by Juichiro
Don't exaggerate the importance or the grants or victimise yourself. The grants are one aspect of it. You don't need to pay a penny to go to uni and you only pay back if you earn enough. Besides, higher fees don't seem to have decreased the number of BMEs at uni.

Because there are so many grants and bursary schemes available, how long till those are scrapped or fees are increased even further? Then you will see a drop.
Reply 8
Original post by JXLS
Because there are so many grants and bursary schemes available, how long till those are scrapped or fees are increased even further? Then you will see a drop.

If they uncap the fees I think we will see a collapse in student numbers for many unis/courses.

The problem is though that schools shoehorn most pupils into going to University. A lot of teachers also imply that you will be a cleaner all your life unless you attend Uni.
(edited 8 years ago)
The Tory plan is to achieve surplus by transferring debt onto private citizens.

They know debt will not deter anyone from going to university as long as loans are available: people will have to go to keep up with everyone else in the job market: simple game theory.

It also has the happy coincidence of keeping people scared and working hard. For the last generation, the wheeze was mortgages; for us, they mortgage our access to the job market; for the next generation, it'll probably be health.

In thirty years when nobody can pay back the debt, we will have to put up with a load of **** before finally organising democratically to repudiate it like the Greeks have had to. A big waste of time and energy which will result in a write-down of the debts receivable which until that time the government will have been using to trumpet its notional surplus.

But of course by that time Osborne, Cameron and company will have long since disappeared into the lucrative world of non-executive board memberships and prestigious speaking tours, trading on their claimed fiscal responsibility.

This is neo-liberalism, folks. Debt bondage pure and simple, holding back innovation, productivity and progress in favour of rentiership. This *******s is what we keep reading in the papers and voting for.

Let's hope that by the time the **** hits the fan the people are rather savvier than they are today about economics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh god...there's five more years of the Connies doing stuff like this.
Yes, five freakin' stinkin',terrible, horrible, no good, very bad years under this tyranny.

In real terms, this *will* force a lot of young people's hands, to not going to university, which does not bode well for the country's prospects in the future. Bravo, Connies, bravo...there's nothing like providing little prospects in the present -- ie. by proclaiming a 'recovery' based on protecting tax evaders and employers to trample all over their workers by supporting the use of zero hours' contracts. In the coalition government they butchered education, but they are out doing themselves this time.

N.B. I may be fortunate that I have benefited from a maintenance grant while at university, but for a lot of people from a poorer background, it is a neccessary source of extra income. University costs are rising in real terms, and students are paying back more.
Reply 11
Original post by Gouki
If they uncap the fees I think we will see a collapse in student numbers for many unis/courses.

The problem is though that schools shoehorn most pupils into going to University. A lot of teachers also imply that you will be a cleaner all your life unless you attend Uni.

That is very true. I don't think Uni is the best way forward but then again if I don't go I won't know and I will work hard to gain something. I think schools need to be honest and realistic because they tell us what we want to hear about Uni instead of alternatives and risks of Uni.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by JXLS
That is very true. I don't think Uni is the best way forward but I don't go I won't know and I will work hard to gain something. I think schools need to be realistic because they tell us what we want to hear about Uni instead of alternatives and risks of Uni.

I agree. The job market for graduates has changed and Uni is not as attractive as it once was.
Original post by jammy4041
Oh god...there's five more years of the Connies doing stuff like this.
Yes, five freakin' stinkin',terrible, horrible, no good, very bad years under this tyranny.

In real terms, this *will* force a lot of young people's hands, to not going to university, which does not bode well for the country's prospects in the future. Bravo, Connies, bravo...there's nothing like providing little prospects in the present -- ie. by proclaiming a 'recovery' based on protecting tax evaders and employers to trample all over their workers by supporting the use of zero hours' contracts. In the coalition government they butchered education, but they are out doing themselves this time.

N.B. I may be fortunate that I have benefited from a maintenance grant while at university, but for a lot of people from a poorer background, it is a neccessary source of extra income. University costs are rising in real terms, and students are paying back more.

No, changing the grant to a loan won't deter anyone any more than the fee rise did. That's because you don't have to pay any of the money up front. If you know everyone else is likely to go (and incur debt), you have to go too, or be underqualified.
So is the grant completely gone or is it basically a form of maintenance loan now? Will students from poorer backgrounds still get full £3387? And who does it apply to people already at uni or new students
Original post by cake_lover
"How dare those from poorer backgrounds have opportunities!"

Hate the conservatives with a passion, why tf did people vote for them :colonhash:

And yet there's. Higher percentage of people going into higher education in England that's in Scotland where it's all free.

When you look at a lot of those things that the nasty conservatives have done, reality doesn't actually link into perception. Remember when labour said that austerity would cause a triple dip
Recession?
When is this taking effect? And basically uni fees are now another 3k on top for the non wealthy given that the grant is now a loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It won't come in until at least September, more likely next year.

I have no issue at all with this, students will still receive the same amount of money however the taxpayer won't be on the hook.
Reply 18
Original post by saeed97
Im gonna ask my boss to pay me £20,999 and ask for any pay rises to be in the form of bonuses and other financial/non-financial incentives.

Bonus' incurr tax/NI/student loan.

So not sure what the point of that would be...

Also messes you up if you ever want a mortgage

Also severly reduces the number of employers who will take you.

But feel free, go ahead :P
Reply 19
Original post by Gouki
I agree. The job market for graduates has changed and Uni is not as attractive as it once was.

Clearly is, currently at record student numbers.

Quick Reply

Latest