The Student Room Group

Getting a job with little work experience

I did a week of retail work experience at the body shop however i am afraid to mention it on my cv as it concerns me that they might ask for a reference from the manager as she did not like me very much also there is noone else who could do it for me. I learnt a lot while i was there and Learnt a lot of skills worth mentioning on my cv or to employers in interviews, however it concerns me that i was there for so little time i didnt quite manage to get to know anyone else who could possibly write me a reference other than my satanic manager! Other than this i have no other work experience and it seems a waste to leave it out of my cv. However i am scared of what to say if they do ask for a reference as there would be pretty much noone i could ask and having to tell an employer that would make me lose my credibility
Reply 1
Original post by Treacle103
I did a week of retail work experience at the body shop however i am afraid to mention it on my cv as it concerns me that they might ask for a reference from the manager as she did not like me very much also there is noone else who could do it for me. I learnt a lot while i was there and Learnt a lot of skills worth mentioning on my cv or to employers in interviews, however it concerns me that i was there for so little time i didnt quite manage to get to know anyone else who could possibly write me a reference other than my satanic manager! Other than this i have no other work experience and it seems a waste to leave it out of my cv. However i am scared of what to say if they do ask for a reference as there would be pretty much noone i could ask and having to tell an employer that would make me lose my credibility

You're not actually allowed to give a bad reference, so the worst that could happen is that the manager gives a short statement confirming that you were there when you said you were.

If I were you, I would perhaps seek a voluntary role in a charity shop, and then use this as a springboard for more retail experience.
Reply 2
Whilst you can't be given a bad reference, you can be refused one.

That generally points to a certain degree of dissatisfaction on your previous employers behalf.
Original post by Smonnie
You're not actually allowed to give a bad reference, so the worst that could happen is that the manager gives a short statement confirming that you were there when you said you were.

If I were you, I would perhaps seek a voluntary role in a charity shop, and then use this as a springboard for more retail experience.

So whats the purpose of a reference if it isnt allowed to be truthful in the case of bad employees? Surely references are for saying what a person was like in another job. If such a person was as useful as a solar powered torch then a potential employer deserves a heads up.
Reply 4
Original post by Laomedeia
So whats the purpose of a reference if it isnt allowed to be truthful in the case of bad employees? Surely references are for saying what a person was like in another job. If such a person was as useful as a solar powered torch then a potential employer deserves a heads up.

It's a litigation thing, sadly.

But a lack of reference, or a very sparse factual one, is the new bad reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending