The Student Room Group

Is beauty a lie?

Just watched this youtube video, of this make up Artist.....i think, and it made me question, what beauty really is.

[video="youtube;WWTRwj9t-vU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWTRwj9t-vU[/video]

What is beauty? is it real?

Scroll to see replies

I actually think she looked better at first. :colondollar: I could see she had a good face and jaw line. Just spots on her face, nothing wrong her. Apart from no eyebrows. :puke:
Beauty's definitely real, but it's incredibly subjective.
Beauty is subjective really.
Reply 4
OP,

If I wear to smear **** all over my face, would you call me beautiful?
The video can be seen as ironic, to many girls these days just wear make-up to hide what is underneath their skin and are refereed to as "beautiful" when it is evident it is because of the make-up.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it is real, but it is incredibly subjective, so there's no 'true' standard of beauty that everything else is judged from.
Reply 7
Original post by Kanairee
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it is real, but it is incredibly subjective, so there's no 'true' standard of beauty that everything else is judged from.

I think while beauty is definitely subjective, everyone is still more-or-less on the same page when it comes to what can be attractive and what isn't. That video itself only works because it starts from what people generally agree to be unattractive and ends with what people generally agree to be attractive.
You wear make up, you get called fake ect
You don't wear make up you get called ugly. You just can't win.
Original post by NHM713
Just watched this youtube video, of this make up Artist.....i think, and it made me question, what beauty really is.

[video="youtube;WWTRwj9t-vU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWTRwj9t-vU[/video]

Of course beauty is not a lie, there are certain traits in humans which are attarctive to other humans and studies have found things like good symmetry in your face and certain features create 'beauty'. However, beauty is still in the eye of the beholder as they say, and humans can find a range of other features attractive, but there is a 'standard' for beauty, its why most people would find people with deformed faces like the elephant man repulsive, we are programmed to find certain things attractive.
Reply 10
Original post by EmperorPowerMan
Of course beauty is not a lie, there are certain traits in humans which are attarctive to other humans and studies have found things like good symmetry in your face and certain features create 'beauty'. However, beauty is still in the eye of the beholder as they say, and humans can find a range of other features attractive, but there is a 'standard' for beauty, its why most people would find people with deformed faces like the elephant man repulsive, we are programmed to find certain things attractive.

But, its not something that is there from day one, you learn about it as you grow up. If that was the case, why are beauty standards different in different countries then?
Reply 11
Original post by william walker
I actually think she looked better at first. :colondollar: I could see she had a good face and jaw line. Just spots on her face, nothing wrong her. Apart from no eyebrows. :puke:

Lol, she has eyebrows.
Reply 12
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Beauty's definitely real, but it's incredibly subjective.

I think the only thing that is real, is that we think it is, and we have an idea of what it is.
Reply 13
Sure she has some acne/ pimples but I think she's rather attractive without the make up.
Reply 14
Original post by A5ko
OP,

If I wear to smear **** all over my face, would you call me beautiful?

If, you are lead to believe that smearing **** all over your face was beautiful, that you probably would.

I'm guessing that by ****, you mean make up.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder- everyone has different perceptions of what is attractive and there's no wrong opinion when it comes to what is 'beautiful'
Reply 16
Original post by German123
The video can be seen as ironic, to many girls these days just wear make-up to hide what is underneath their skin and are refereed to as "beautiful" when it is evident it is because of the make-up.

I do think the fact that someone covers the skin up, is a marker of them not being beautiful, some things are out of your control.
Original post by NHM713

To be honest, many attractive people in the media look like they could be brothers and sisters, even ones of different races. So, I think beauty is decided upon by society and so we showcase those who look closest to society's idea of beauty.
if she wanted to get rid of the acne/spots then she should've implemented a simple skin care routine into her life. A bit of moisturising and exfoliating would've done the trick gradually.
Beauty is natural. It doesn't come from something fake. Beauty is completely spoiled by makeup.

I mean why did she have to have such a huge amount of makeup caked onto her face? She looks better without it. It's a shame that women use makeup as a substitute for proper skincare and hygiene.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending