The Student Room Group

Is beauty a lie?

Scroll to see replies

There was a thread on makeup on TSR a few days ago, asking if most guys think girl A or B is hotter (girl A looking hotter without makeup and B looking hotter with it).

I think the guys said A and the girls B?
Original post by NHM713
You saying make up was there before a market was made for it?

women are not more beautiful with make up, but, we think they are. and that's the problem. our perception.

Yes, i am saying make up has been around since the dawn of civilisation and long before there was a capitalist market for it.

Maybe you just cant tell the difference because you are female. But 99.99% of males will tell you she looks better with make up on.

You position is like saying a saying a person who doesn't wash, doesn't comb their hair, stinks of BO and smells of crap, is no more appealing than someone who is perfectly groomed.

Its nothing more than politically correct platitudes to even suggest such a thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NHM713
We are different mostly because we express emotion, are able to use language and we possess the able to recall, other than that all other living things have an intelligence and an awareness of there own.

Yes, I have, and to be honest I'm not always thinking about whether I find someone attractive or not, I may think in the instance, what happened and try and understand why.

We may like symmetry, but, I don't think it is natural?

Why do you not think it's natural? If we like it, isn't it something naturally in us natural humans?
Reply 63
Original post by Summerxo
There was a thread on makeup on TSR a few days ago, asking if most guys think girl A or B is hotter (girl A looking hotter without makeup and B looking hotter with it).

Don't no, will check it out, but also it's
Not really about guys think, because they are as equally influenced as women are, but there are that bit more removed, as they don't see it from a woman's viewpoint.
Original post by Summerxo

Can you link to this thread i am interested in seeing it? :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by capitalismstinks
Yes, i am saying make up has been around since the dawn of civilisation and long before there was a capitalist market for it.

Maybe you just cant tell the difference because you are female. But 99.99% of males will tell you she looks better with make up on.

You position is like saying a saying a person who doesn't wash, doesn't comb their hair, stinks of BO and smells of crap, is no more appealing than someone who is perfectly groomed.

Its nothing more than politically correct platitudes to even suggest such a thing.

Because she fit the idea of what a woman is meant to be, this reminds me of a thread I didn't about this seemly straight guy that, was/is going out with a trans woman.
Original post by NHM713
Don't no, will check it out, but also it's
Not really about guys think, because they are as equally influenced as women are, but there are that bit more removed, as they don't see it from a woman's viewpoint.

Good point :smile:

capitalismstinks
Can you link to this thread i am interested in seeing it?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3431925
Reply 67
So what if she looks better with/without makeup? If she wants to cake herself, then let her. And if she wants to remain makeup free then that's her choice too. Nobody has the right to tell her whether or not she should wear makeup, it's how she feels most comfortable.

People tell me all the time that I look better without makeup (mainly my mum), but that's not going to stop me from wearing it.

Me personally, I don't wear makeup because I think society is going to view me as 'more beautiful'. I wear it cause it gives me confidence, and if I think I look good, I'll also feel good.
Reply 68
Original post by LauraMayden1
Why do you not think it's natural? If we like it, isn't it something naturally in us natural humans?

No, because we can be programmed/ influenced to like anything, that isn't natural, that is man made.
Reply 69

But, in essences that is the truth, although you probably won't want to be stand around them for very long. I'll admit that.

It's not political correctness, it's the truth, they are the same.
Reply 70

Saw the thread (thanks) but it's more about comparison, which is subjective.
Can it really be real (beauty), if the only way you can validate it, is through comparing?
Original post by NHM713
No, because we can be programmed/ influenced to like anything, that isn't natural, that is man made.

Well, that depends. Even when I see new fashion trends that everyone is going crazy over and everyone thinks it looks amazing, if I don't like it, I don't like it. I have seen so many things that celebrities wear, certain makeup styles and hairstyles, and I can't get myself to like it no matter how many people say it looks amazing.

Do you think I'm being programmed/influenced? I don't know, maybe I am but I don't realise it. Sometimes, us humans think 'if everyone thinks it's beautiful then it must be beautiful'. But really, we just need to realise that if you don't find it beautiful even though everyone else does, no big deal, no need to try and see it as beautiful when you really don't.

Also, if you think beauty is a lie and it's completely subjective, what about ugliness? I'm sure everyone agrees that spots aren't attractive, mainly since we've evolved like that because they are a sign of bad health. What about wonky/discoloured teeth? They aren't attractive because they're also a sign of bad health. Therefore, the opposites of those features would be considered objectively attractive as it would be a sign of good health.

Makeup only covers up those flaws to make one appear healthy (and therefore attractive) and that's why we find it beautiful (and probably why most guys prefer natural looking makeup).
Original post by NHM713
Because she fit the idea of what a woman is meant to be, this reminds me of a thread I didn't about this seemly straight guy that, was/is going out with a trans woman.

Please, don't tell me you are suggesting attraction and beauty is a social construct?

This girl objectively looks better without spots, without bags, with non-shiny skin tone, with big mane of hair etc.

Make up improved her attractiveness. Just like soap improves her smell. lol

What is the big deal here exactly? Why do feminists have to make life so difficult and laden with guilt for other women exactly??
Reply 73
Original post by meems5
So what if she looks better with/without makeup? If she wants to cake herself, then let her. And if she wants to remain makeup free then that's her choice too. Nobody has the right to tell her whether or not she should wear makeup, it's how she feels most comfortable.

People tell me all the time that I look better without makeup (mainly my mum), but that's not going to stop me from wearing it.

Me personally, I don't wear makeup because I think society is going to view me as 'more beautiful'. I wear it cause it gives me confidence, and if I think I look good, I'll also feel good.

Can there really be beauty, if it is seen through comparison? She is only conforming to what is deemed beautiful.

but you got to ask yourself, why does she feel comfortable with it?
Original post by NHM713
But, in essences that is the truth, although you probably won't want to be stand around them for very long. I'll admit that.

It's not political correctness, it's the truth, they are the same.

Yes, they are the same person. But they look different and smell different. So in terms of attractiveness and desire they are completely different.
Reply 76
Original post by NHM713
Is that it?

Yes.
Reply 77
Original post by LauraMayden1
Well, that depends. Even when I see new fashion trends that everyone is going crazy over and everyone thinks it looks amazing, if I don't like it, I don't like it. I have seen so many things that celebrities wear, certain makeup styles and hairstyles, and I can't get myself to like it no matter how many people say it looks amazing.

Do you think I'm being programmed/influenced? I don't know, maybe I am but I don't realise it. Sometimes, us humans think 'if everyone thinks it's beautiful then it must be beautiful'. But really, we just need to realise that if you don't find it beautiful even though everyone else does, no big deal, no need to try and see it as beautiful when you really don't.

Also, if you think beauty is a lie and it's completely subjective, what about ugliness? I'm sure everyone agrees that spots aren't attractive, mainly since we've evolved like that because they are a sign of bad health. What about wonky/discoloured teeth? They aren't attractive because they're also a sign of bad health. Therefore, the opposites of those features would be considered objectively attractive as it would be a sign of good health.

Makeup only covers up those flaws to make one appear healthy (and therefore attractive) and that's why we find it beautiful (and probably why most guys prefer natural looking makeup).

As have I, fashions not a biggie for me, though I like dressing up putting an outfit together, having my own style....though, it's probably not.

In the world we live in, it's very hard not to be influenced, unless you are aware.

Beauty and ugliness are two side of the same coin. Spots aren't attractive, but they are they are not unattractive either, they are just a part of nature, and by far, not the worst disorder out there. as for bad teeth, unless the person is in need of urgent dental care, it's not that bad. They are only a sign of good/bad health, if you have an image of what they are.

How can you appear health, either you are or you're not, appearing healthy has little to do, with actually being healthy.
Reply 78
Yes, they are the same person. But they look different and smell different. So in terms of attractiveness and desire they are completely different.

Yes, but, though terms are subjective and therefore not real.
Reply 79
Original post by *Stefan*
Yes.

Ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending