The Student Room Group

legache's Summer Bucket List

Hi! I just finished year 13 and am hopefully off to uni next year! In the meantime, I have a load of stuff I want to get done this summer and here's my bucket list:
1) Learn Spanish and French (using Duolingo and maybe Memrise, and get some books and CDs from the library). Maybe some conversational Italian/Maltese as I'm going on holiday to Malta.
2) Don't know if this really counts, but become a more patient, nice and calm individual: I often snap at my parents and have lots of mood swings so maybe I could do breathing exercises/physical activity to improve my psychological state!
3) Do more exercise (fitness DVDs, Wii fit, planks, sit ups. Become able to do 50 press ups in a row as currently I can't even do one :/) I want to be fitter, not particularly thinner. I'd like to improve the flabbiness of my arms and my stomach in particular but I'm aiming for a general increase in fitness. Oh and maybe go to a yoga class!
4) Improve my general knowledge (maybe read encyclopaedias, learn states of America and different countries in Africa and their locations, learn more history and some physics. Includes reading 10 non fiction books)
5) Read 50 novels (started last week and so far I have read three). Read some books in German (not as part of the 50 books)
6) Do more art - my wall is covered in pages from magazines, but there are still a few gaps. I want to do more collages to stick up on my wall, and also finish a few pieces of art I still haven’t completed from year 11. I also want to improve my drawing skill, so maybe I’ll watch some videos online, and do lots of practice!
7) Lucid dream regularly: I started lucid dream practice in the middle of year 13 and so far I’ve had 2.5 lucid dreams, but all that’s happened is I have become lucid and then I've either forgotten, had everything go grey or been stuck, unable to do anything. Just before exams I stopped waking myself up (you can wake yourself up in the middle of the night, at intervals 1.5 hours after you fall asleep to increase dream recall) but I’ve started again now. I want to lucid dream more! If anyone reads this and wants to talk about lucid dreaming, I’d love to discuss it!
8) Practise cooking - for university and just as a skill. Learn different techniques (e.g. sweating) and learn recipes from around the world. Focus on savoury foods (cook meat) but baking can be practiced too. Try SimplyCook.
9) Grow a plant from a fruit stone - currently trying to grow 7 apricot trees, all in different locations around the garden and in my house. No success so far!
10) Write a) my memories so far, so when I'm older I can remember life up to my teenage years and b) some fiction/poetry
11) Go on a city break in the UK to somewhere I've never been - whilst visiting different universities, I have visited many places in the UK but there's still more to discover. I want to find somewhere I love.
12) Watch and read classics - e.g. read some Charles Dickens (links to point 5), watch Pride and Prejudice. Watch films e.g. Notting Hill, not classics but well-known films that are 'must-sees'
13) Learn how to apply liquid eyeliner
14) Try Geocaching!
15) Play Sims 3 more
16) Make a short film
17) Catch up on Pretty Little Liars and Orange Is The New Black
18) Shallow, but get a tan!
19) Increase online activity - submit my revision resources, give advice on forums, review restaurants and books etc.
20) Open a bank account
I think that is everything! Jheez there is a lot here. I wonder how it will go... I wish you luck if you have a list!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! So today I continued to read the book I'm currently on (Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahern). I'm up to page 222 out of 558. I started yesterday so progress is good! At first I found the style of letters and emails in the book not very informative - I felt I was missing out on some emotions or details - but now I've got used to it and I like the book more and more! The plot is also very good. It makes me laugh but is also very frustrating!
I've just got back from my first search for a geocache. It was in a local park and I spent around half an hour looking for it with my parents. No success! There was a photo of it on the page and it's a tiny container that looked like a film case. But much smaller. And it was only rated 1/5 on difficulty! I'll go back tomorrow as I'm pretty sure I know its whereabouts. I like geocaching! You just walk around trying to find things. I can multitask and try to complete goal no. 18!
Decided to make a sea-themed collage for my bathroom to achieve goal no. 6.
My parents want to go to Devon to see family, so I may combine this trip with a visit to Exeter for point 11.
Point 2 is going to be difficult. I haven't argued with anyone today but apparently I've been 'aggressive' so I must improve!
I watered the apricot stone in my house and it rained so hopefully the others in the garden will grow...
Now I'm going to go and do some language practice. Adios!
Reply 2
Last night I levelled up in Duolingo French! I had already done some before so I had already reached level 5... Level 100 here I come!! (If it exists)

Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 21.57.48.png
Reply 3
Hey!So today I went for a walk to the library where I got some more books (trying to achieve goals 3 (kind of), 5 and 18). One of the books is Lord of the Flies which I hear is actually quite boring but I feel like I should read it. Maybe this contributes to achievement of goal 12.
Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 22.52.20.jpg
I ordered a SimplyCook box last night but I couldn't find the box where I could enter my promotional code Yum54 so I couldn't get a £1 food box! It cost £10... I immediately emailed them and got a refund, but maybe I'll try again some other time. Fresh ingredients are probably better anyway!
This evening I wandered down the road to a public garden thingy for a geocache, and I found one! My first geocache... I felt so proud! It was a film case and it had a cherry, 15p, a Parisian metro ticket and a log book (bit of paper) in it. Unfortunately I forgot a pen and something to swap. I'll return tomorrow!
Also, and kinda unrelated to the bucket list but slightly to do with trying to achieve goal 7, I keep having dreams about failing, missing or doing my exams! They're awful. I'm so relieved when I wake up. I wonder if anyone else dreams about reliving exams. Dreams are meant to be exciting experiences, not like these ones at all!
So: I've achieved goal 14 (Geocaching) but I want to do way more and continue it when I go on holiday! They have geocaches everywhere! I am in progress with some of the others... I decided on which bank account I now want (how thrilling).
Having a bucket list is actually very fun! Hope you guys are all enjoying working your way through yours!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm up to page 433 now!
However I have some complaints about Love, Rosie.
They keep interrupting each other on instant messenger. This isn’t possible in real life, is it?
For example:
"Alex: Yes, but -
Rosie: And were you or were you not -“
She interrupted him mid-sentence. On IM. It confuses me a lot. People don’t see what you write until you have finished and have pressed send. Oh well. It’s so frequent in the book, you get used to it.
Photographic proof of interruption in IM: Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 23.02.31.png

Also, they keep typing or writing letters and it sounds like actual speech.
For example, in an instant message you wouldn’t say: “Yes, well, it’s a long story, honey”
But this is in fact written in the book. Too much punctuation! Too many words! In a message this is not very realistic. I would prefer it to be a normal 1st/3rd person narrative but if you go with the flow and ignore the fact that it’s not written exactly as it would be in a real letter/message, it is a good book.
I just needed to vent. Sorry.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I finished Love, Rosie. I almost cried! I ended up really enjoying the book, and it was interesting to see the different points of view as different characters wrote letters/emails. Including Love, Rosie I've now read 4/50 books this Summer, including:
Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 15.54.08.png
and When We Were Friends by Tina Seskis. The book I'm now reading is This is Life by Dan Rhodes. It's set in Paris (one of my favourite cities) so it should be a good read.
I've been outside almost all day today so am on the way to achieve goal 18 (a tan). Trying not to burn!
Currently doing some Spanish of Duolingo! Unfortunately it's so hot, I can't do any exercise... :smile:
Reply 6
Woop woop! I started today and just levelled up in español on Duolingo!

Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 18.07.21.png
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Hey! Doing some Spanish now. Earlier I went to the geocache I found a couple of days ago and wrote my name in it... such an accomplishment!
For exercise I walked up a steep hill... I need to start proper exercise soon :/
I keep falling back asleep when I wake myself up in the night without writing down my dreams (trying to recall dreams for lucid dreaming), so I need to stop being lazy and just write them down!
Also, I got sunburnt :frown: I'm sure it'll improve!
Reply 8
I didn't post anything yesterday as I went paint balling and afterwards fell asleep almost immediately. I definitely took a step towards my goal of getting fitter! Unfortunately now I can barely walk but I am reading lots of books!
Also went to find another two geocaches but when I arrived and checked their webpages, it turned out that they were missing... I will attempt to find my 2nd geocache soon!
Reply 9
Levelled up again in Spanish! I think I'm enjoying it more than French, maybe because I literally knew none before. It's such an interesting language! Something I like doing is comparing different languages e.g. discovering that Spanish has two plural words, los and las, whilst German, which I studied at A Level, only has one: die. I <3 German!

Screen Shot 2015-07-13 at 20.33.56.png

Also today I did a survey and it asked how many meals I can cook from scratch (I assume without a recipe book). My answer was zero, how awful! I now feel extra motivated to learn to cook. I will start tomorrow!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
YAY!

Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 16.15.49.png in Spanish

Being bed-ridden due to being unable to walk properly after paint balling is coming in handy! Lots of Spanish to do! I did go on a long walk earlier to the shops and to find a geocache (I was successful and will upload a pic later), I thought it might be good to stay active but now my legs ache even more. Luckily it's not sunny so I don't feel bad being indoors all afternoon. I couldn't get a tan even if I wanted to!
Also yesterday I did some Just Dance (with my legs it was very difficult!) so am on the road to fitness!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
IMG_0470.jpg

... so it's sideways. But this geocache had poems written in it so that was cool! I wrote one on the log myself, so I have accidentally achieved goal 10! It was in a mini library in an old phone booth, and I exchanged some books. I got two German books about childbirth/pregnancy/medicine so I can practice German, and I got a Japanese book too... I have no idea what it's about.
My sunburn has faded, so now I have a tan (on the front of my legs :/ ).
I've been reading some more which has been fun. Last night I didn't have a lucid dream but I did dream about Batman which is just as fun!
I did some art today too, which was nice and relaxing. Hopefully I'll become calmer and kinder as a result :smile: Also I have watched 3 films recently: Morning Glory, Admission and Begin Again. Haven't watched films in so long so it was so nice to be able to just chillax and not revise. Feels weird.
Reply 12
OMG I had a lucid dream!!
Normally I'm an early bird and I try to get up/awake at around 8am every day, but today I stayed in bed and read until about 9, then became so tired that I fell back asleep. Imagine my horror when I woke up about half an hour ago (1:20pm ish)!
(I was just about to say luckily I didn't miss out on any sunshine and tanning potential, but now the sun has come out so I need to hurry this post and get outside!!)
Anyway yes, I was quite horrified. I then tried to remember my dreams, and some of it (3 different dreams) came back to me, one of which included becoming lucid!
Being lucid in a dream is basically when you become aware that you are dreaming whilst you are dreaming. As a result, you can choose what to do in your dreams.
I have become lucid a couple of times before and then not really done anything. The most I've achieved is hovering and flying into a door. This dream was similar. I realised I was dreaming as a minute ago, I was a mini person on a tiny planet the size of a beach ball, and the next minute I was sitting on a sofa with a man, looking at that same beach-ball planet. I said, 'this is still a dream' - I think I had been telling the man about my dream of the planet, and then realised the planet was still there. I spoke the words "when I'm dreaming I will remember I'm dreaming" (not sure why, because I had already realised. I think I panicked and didn't know what to do next).
I've read that when you become lucid, often people become excited and this makes the dream go away. In order to continue with the dream, you can spin around in a circle or fall backwards. I tried both of these things with my eyes closed. Then I looked up and I saw beautiful marbled blue and green patterns on the ceiling. Then I stopped being lucid, and I had a normal dream.
So I became lucid! Yay! Next time, though, I really want to use my lucidity to do something fun e.g. go to Paris in a dream.
Reply 13
Thanks to XcitingStuart I have now signed up to eTandem Europa, a website through which you can find a pen pal from a different country and you can improve your language skills. I've signed up to do German, but if I improve well enough in Spanish or French, maybe I will sign up to find a French or Spanish pen pal as well.

Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 09.24.00.png

I've wanted a pen pal for ages! I wonder who I'll be paired with...
Reply 14
The search for my pen pal has begun!

Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 09.29.39.png
Reply 15
Hey! Thought I'd do an update of the 5th book I'm reading, as I'm about halfway through.
I'm up to page 212/423 of the book This is Life by Dan Rhodes. It's amazing! The quality of writing is so much higher than Love, Rosie and it feels like I'm reading a proper book, not chick-lit, but at the same time it's still easy to read and doesn't drag at all. It's set in Paris which I love, and there is such a wide range of characters. You get to know each and every one of them, not just Aurélie (the only character whose name is mentioned in the blurb). It's like there are lots of main characters, not just one. It's humorous and interesting with lots of twists and turns, it's romantic and dramatic, fast paced and exciting too! I think I've become obsessed and may be going slightly overboard, but it truly is a great book!
Dan Rhodes has such a cool imagination and I'm now a great fan of his! Can't wait to read on and see how the plot develops.
Reply 16
So I'm about to make some banana and honey bread. I'll post a pic when I'm done!
... the one day I decide to stay inside and bake and it's sunny outside :frown:
Reply 17
I didn't update yesterday because I was on a sleepover and didn't have access to the interweb but I'm back today!
I haven't done language practice for a couple of days now, but I'm doing some at the moment and am getting back into the habit of doing at least 30 minutes a day of each language.
Due to the lovely weather I have been outside quite a lot to develop my tan, and have been continuing to read This is Life.
The banana and honey bread is... interesting. It didn't really cook properly, I put it in the oven for way longer than it said to but there are quite a lot of sticky uncooked bits and other bits are really dense and dry. It was sad because the dough actually rose so I had hope. Overall, kind of a fail, but still good baking practice!
I've done some art, some Just Dance and written a poem. All is going well!
Reply 18
According to Duolingo I am now 17% fluent in Spanish... I seriously doubt that!
Original post by legache
According to Duolingo I am now 17% fluent in Spanish... I seriously doubt that!

Yeah I started Italian the other day and apparently I'm 6% fluent in Italian but only 4% fluent in Spanish even though I've done Spanish a-level haha:biggrin:

Enhorabuena! Y buena suerte con tu español:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest