The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Who's_buying?
What colour shirt/tie do you guys recommend a guy should wear? I've got quite a few but can't make my mind up!

Blue shirt and a yellow tie with blue polka dots - that's me anyway:biggrin:
Reply 21
I wore a white shirt with a baby blue tie with white stripes
Reply 22
Johnny C.
White shirt and black tie?!!!!!

It's not a flipping funeral:p:

lol Ohh yes very ture lol but it will look nice dont you think or maybe a brown or grey tie :smile: lol
how about that Johnny c hope to here from you soon,
Reply 23
don't forget to be smelling fresh :biggrin:

can't go in there shaking hands with the 'panel' and releasing armpit fumes... ew no.

one mini question, do you lot think a scarf/pashmina is unappropriate? i mean, i know i'm getting a little too specific/pedantic here, lol, but, y'know, if it's cold... plus they can look neat, even if they ARE a bit too... casual? perhaps? no?
Reply 24
ph9
don't forget to be smelling fresh :biggrin:

can't go in there shaking hands with the 'panel' and releasing armpit fumes... ew no.

one mini question, do you lot think a scarf/pashmina is unappropriate? i mean, i know i'm getting a little too specific/pedantic here, lol, but, y'know, if it's cold... plus they can look neat, even if they ARE a bit too... casual? perhaps? no?

You could wear a scarf up to the interview, but when you go in the interview room and sit down, I think you should to take it off. It's a bit strange wearing a scarf indoors:smile:
Reply 25
ha ha see that's the other thing... sort of...

i mean, i know i'm getting ridiculously active with my imagination now but where hell do you put the bits of clothing you take off? i.e. your coat and scarf? are you supposed to hang it on the back of the chair? doesn't that require time and effort meaning you'll end up making the interviewers sit and wait for you... watching you hang your damn coat thinking you're a freak

or do you just put it on your knees neatly... or something

:biggrin: i'm such an over worrier sometimes it's ridiculous
Reply 26
and i use the word ridiculous far too often
I left my stuff in the pre-interview room. :smile: (e.g. jacket, bag, etc.).
Reply 28
ph9
ha ha see that's the other thing... sort of...

i mean, i know i'm getting ridiculously active with my imagination now but where hell do you put the bits of clothing you take off? i.e. your coat and scarf? are you supposed to hang it on the back of the chair? doesn't that require time and effort meaning you'll end up making the interviewers sit and wait for you... watching you hang your damn coat thinking you're a freak

or do you just put it on your knees neatly... or something

:biggrin: i'm such an over worrier sometimes it's ridiculous

You should worry more about what you are going to say, rather than what you wear, where you leave your bags etc.....

There'll be loads of students at interview days who'll tell you where you can leave your stuff/ what you shouldn't take into the interview etc... so don't worry about that

Basically, I would leave everything you're intending to take-off in the pre-interview room so you're not holding anything or fidgeting with anything when you're actually in the interview.

Last point - all my interviews have been very friendly and relaxed so far and I get the impression it's like that most places so stop worrying!!!!!:smile:
Reply 29
At the Cam interview there was nowhere to leave your stuff, so I took it into the room and was told to leave it on the floor. (forgot about it afterwards and had to go back to get it :redface:)
At Manchester there was a waitiing room so I left my stuff in there. I really can't think they're going to worry about the 5seconds or so it takes you to hang your scarf/jacket on the back of the chair.
Good luck with your interview
:smile:
Reply 30
Hi, I'm wearing a black suit (am a girl by the way) with a white blouse plus orange jumper underneath- which looks alright. But I was wondering, I have a little puffin badge thing, that I always wear with the suit, at sixth form (where we have a formal dresscode), should I wear the badge to the interview? Its quite tiny by the way.
Thanks.
If you're in doubt... which it seems you are, less is better.
Reply 32
A SUIT!
You're applying for a professional career. You need to look professional and like you take it seriously. You are V fortunate to get interviews, so turning up looking like you don't care doesn't give the right impression. Plus, first impressions count for alot with many interviewers.
Reply 33
For the badge thing and jewelery - don't wear things you know you'll fiddle with EG: Watch etc...

But the puffin thing should be ok - if its part of what you're comfortable with it portrays your personality abit, which is good, because they want to see YOU.
Yeah strangely enough , I thought a suit might be too much ? but it isn't, just go with it!
Reply 35
what about

grey trousers and a black v-neck jumpery top?
or is that too casual?

*clueless*
I wore exactly that for both my interviews, ph9! As well as a scarf (I don't see what's wrong with a scarf...it was winter and bloody freezing!)

Personally I would never wear a suit to a uni interview. It doesn't look right on most 17/18 year olds. If you were a graduate or a mature student then possibly, but not someone fresh from school. Some guys at my interviews did the suit thing (even three-piece suits!) and while some looked really well, others didn't pull it off.

I'm quite plain with pale skin and weird coloured hair so I've always dressed up a little with a bright scarf or a weird bag and jewellery. I think it's nice to let a little personality through!
Reply 37
becca2389
I wore exactly that for both my interviews, ph9! As well as a scarf (I don't see what's wrong with a scarf...it was winter and bloody freezing!)

Personally I would never wear a suit to a uni interview. It doesn't look right on most 17/18 year olds. If you were a graduate or a mature student then possibly, but not someone fresh from school. Some guys at my interviews did the suit thing (even three-piece suits!) and while some looked really well, others didn't pull it off.

I'm quite plain with pale skin and weird coloured hair so I've always dressed up a little with a bright scarf or a weird bag and jewellery. I think it's nice to let a little personality through!

:biggrin::biggrin:

i just can't imagine myself in a proper suit lol. the mental image is hilarious.

now i just need to go shoe shopping... perfect excuse mwahah...

i hope your interviews went well?
Reply 38
Wear a suit. Seriously! Plus I think 17/18 year olds look great in suits, as long as it fits properly. I'm a girl and bought a nice dark grey suit for my interview and those coming up. It's worth it.
I'm 19, I demand my right to a suit! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending