The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Chemistry at Leeds

Hi there! Was just wondering if anyone who is a current student at Leeds studying Chemistry (MChem or BSc) could tell me what their course is like. I'm aware Leeds has slid down the rankings a bit for Chem in the last few years but then again I don't think league tables tell you much about the overall quality of the department! Other universities I'm thinking of applying to are Nottingham, Bristol, Manchester and Oxford. I haven't been to a Leeds open day to see the department and will go on 12th Sept but if someone could give me a heads up now that'd be great! :smile:
Hey, I'm hoping to get into Leeds this September (for chemistry) and I can tell you now, don't worry about choosing unis until you've visited them. I didn't think I wanted to go to Leeds at all when I was applying, but once I went on an open day I fell in love with the campus. A uni can look amazing on paper but if you don't like it when you get there, don't go to that one! No matter how good it's suppose to be. You're gonna spend the next 3 years (minimum) there and if you don't like it, then it's gonna suck.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by Pythagorwalrus
Hey, I'm hoping to get into Leeds this September (for chemistry) and I can tell you now, don't worry about choosing unis until you've visited them. I didn't think I wanted to go to Leeds at all when I was applying, but once I went on an open day I fell in love with the campus. A uni can look amazing on paper but if you don't like it when you get there, don't go to that one! No matter how good it's suppose to be. You're gonna spend the next 3 years (minimum) there and if you don't like it, then it's gonna suck.

Oh ok thanks for your help! :smile: what are your A Levels and predicted grades? Sorry for being a bit nosy ahaha, I'm just curious! And also, I'm not sure whether Leeds has the best rep for Chemistry...I really like the look of the course though, and want to go for the MChem :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aerosmith
Oh ok thanks for your help! :smile: what are your A Levels and predicted grades? Sorry for being a bit nosy ahaha, I'm just curious! And also, I'm not sure whether Leeds has the best rep for Chemistry...I really like the look of the course though, and want to go for the MChem :smile:

My predicted are ABB. Which is what my offer is for. I'd suggest applying for BSc because you can transfer up once you get there, just in case you don't get the grades. But if you're fully capable then apply away :smile:
For me it was a combination of the university and the course. I really liked the campus and SU. They were things that stood out for me, and that's what you remember. I went to loads of unis and they all kinda merged together, so choose the one you remember :P
Reply 4
Could anyone who currently studies at Leeds for Chemistry tell me what it's like?

Quick Reply

Latest