The Student Room Group

UKL Psychology Society (UKL PsychSoc)

Scroll to see replies

Very soon I have to choose my A-Levels and I think I want to do Psychology amongst other things. I have 6 subjects I'm interested in taking (maths, eng lang, psychology, media, IT, business) and only want to pick 4! Dilema! So I thought I'd come and ask you psychology dudes what it's like and what the different modules are. It looks interesting but I don't know much about it. And also where could it take you in the future?

Thanks everyone! :biggrin:
Ill join.
gemgems89
Very soon I have to choose my A-Levels and I think I want to do Psychology amongst other things. I have 6 subjects I'm interested in taking (maths, eng lang, psychology, media, IT, business) and only want to pick 4! Dilema! So I thought I'd come and ask you psychology dudes what it's like and what the different modules are. It looks interesting but I don't know much about it. And also where could it take you in the future?

Thanks everyone! :biggrin:

Not sure how helpful this is, but I've absolutely hated A-level Psychology so far (though this is partly to do with having the most uninspiring teacher in the world!).

I think mainly it's because it seems to require little actual creative/independent thought - you learn theories, you learn studies, the textbook even gives you the damn evaluation points...then you just have to remember it. If it interests you that's probably a good thing, as it'll be easier to learn (I get bored trying to revise it).
Also I think psychology as the A-level (AQA B, at least) syllabus presents it is a tad up-its-own-arse with it's (apparently) "rigorously objective", "scientific" method which it applies with a mechanical uniformity to all research. It's very...restrictive, and makes things seem kind of repetitive.
[N.B. - don't flame me people, I'm not slagging of Psychology, just the way it's taught and comes across at A-level!!]

I have enjoyed some modules though - atypical psychology is fascinating, and escapes some of the problems with the other topics noted above.

Oh and there's a lot of statistics 'n' stuff at A2 (the other part that I'm enjoying!), but given you're also considering maths that should be no problem :wink:

ZarathustraX

(PS: Also think ahead to what you want to do / where you want to go for Uni, as some of the more "prestigious" places may look down on a combination involving both Psychology and Media - again, not slagging them off, don't flame please!)

EDIT: Sorry, meant to say: can I join this soc please? I do like psych, honest! Just not the A-level...
Reply 103
I totally understand Zarathustra, the things you have to learn can be boring. Especially without an interesting teacher. I'm lucky to have an animated and very funny teacher this year and so it is interesting. I'm doing AQA A and have a lot of studies/theories to learn which can be uninspiring. If you do background reading however it can get really good...obviously if you enjoy psychology that is.
You can use your own evaluation points as well, if you have done enough background reading I have found that a lot of the theories can be interconnected no matter what module they are in to be used as supporting research or a criticism.

May I also join this Soc?
I'm doing a one-year A level course in psychology, we've just started A2 this week, and I'm loving it!

We're doing AQA A.

I have to admit that it's a lot harder than I thought it was going to be, I have a science background (biology, chemistry, maths, french and general studies A levels, and I did zoology and genetics at uni) so I'm not used to essay type questions, and certainly not used to evaluation. It's been hard to get into the right frame of mind to get good A02 marks. Still, I've enjoyed the challenge of it!

Learning the key studies is hard, but possible, and I've even enjoyed doing that. I love how psychologists are always trying to prove each other wrong!

Just a bit about my background - I'm 25, I didn't finish my course at uni and worked as a science technician for a few years, then decided I wanted to go back to uni. I thought it would be too hard to just go straight back into it, so I decided to do psychology just to get me into the routine of studying again. It's a subject I've always wanted to do, but it wasn't available at my school. When I started the course I liked it so much I decided to apply for psychology at uni instead of applying for the course I did before!

Oh, and I'm new here.... how does this societies thing work??
silverleaf
Oh, and I'm new here.... how does this societies thing work??

Welcome :smile:

You just ask to be a member. They should add your name to the list at the start of the thread, and then you can (if you want) put something along the lines of the following in your signature:

"Member of the UKL Psychology Society!"

(Type in: "Member of the UKL Psychology Society!" without the space inbetween 'URL' and '=' -sorry, don't know how else to get the code to show other than to wreck it!)

ZarathustraX
Thank you Zarathustra!

I'd like to be a member please.
I have a question which has been bugging me for a while now, With the case study of Genie, the girl who was locked in a room.. As she never learnt language, how did Genie think? As we think with words, so did she not think? Was her mind blank?

Just wondered peoples points of view on this
Maybe she didn't think as such, she just had the basic drives like hunger etc, as you have these from birth...
Reply 109
twinkledust
I have a question which has been bugging me for a while now, With the case study of Genie, the girl who was locked in a room.. As she never learnt language, how did Genie think? As we think with words, so did she not think? Was her mind blank?

Just wondered peoples points of view on this

Animals think and they haven't learnt a language...but I guess 'think' is a diverse word, could be thought of in many ways like think of a solution, think she's hungry, daydream...
Reply 110
twinkledust
course, just add to your signature

I'd like to join if that's ok. I'm doing AQA A Psychology, i agree it's all down to how much you study, i've started now for my May exams, i'm one of those who get scared by failure easily.

Thanks Ems x :smile:
Emsy
...i've started now for my May exams, i'm one of those who get scared by failure easily...

Yeah I'm one of those too. Sadly I don't have time to act on my fear :eek: :eek: :eek:

ZarathustraX *worried*
please can i join
lol
i love psychology and am planning to study it next year at university
Reply 113
Can i join....please? :biggrin:
Reply 114
can i join? i'm studying AQA specification A psychology Alevel , and hoping to study Forensic Psychology and Criminal Justice at Lierpool JMU in September!
Reply 115
Id Love to Join! Im studying A2 Psych at the mo.. Have a estimated A, and I got 60/60 for my coursework so far. Im doing a Bsc in Psych in the fall.. So you can see I love the Psychology. :smile:
Can I join? I'm doing psychology A2 at the moment (AQA-A) and am gonna do the BSc at uni starting september. :smile:
Hi I'd love to join please but how will i know if you've let me in?! :wink:
Chocolatefudge
Hi I'd love to join please but how will i know if you've let me in?! :wink:

You'll be put on the list at the start of the thread - not sure how often it gets updated though.

You're doing psych at uni by the look of your sig, and I can see no reason why you'd not get in! (everyone seems to - I hate psychology but joined just because I study it!).

Just whack it in your sig...:smile:

ZarathustraX
Can I join please. I'm currently in my 3rd year of Bsc(hons) Psychology.

Started work on my proposal for my 4th year project! :smile: Its going great very interesting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending