The Student Room Group

Does chemistry matter?

Hi guys. I've been a bit worried, since, as an accelerated set, I got to take my chemistry exams in year 10. I think I did okay on those, but I get my results back in August.

However, I slacked off really badly on my coursework. It was terrible for my usual stuff. It was predicted to get a C, so I took it home and did some literal overnight 'improvements' before handing it back in. I can't change it any more, and apparently the highest grade I can receive is a B for chemistry.

Should I be worried about this? I was supposed to get an A, but this really sucks. I've been great at my other subjects so far, but I just completely lacked effort with the coursework. It irritates me that I didn't try hard enough, but it's gone now.

Any advice or whatever would calm me down a little. Thanks!
It depends on what subjects you want to do for a levels in terms of direct effects to you. It may hamper you if you want to do chemistry or any other science at A level but most places only require you have B to pursue the subject further anyway and if you get good grades in other sciences it won't matter if you wish to carry on studying them or subjects like psychology.

In more broader terms only oxbridge will really take notice of a bad grade in chemistry and other universities will only care if you want to study a related subjects and as for employers I doubt they'll care in the slightest.

If it really will change you're plans in terms of study you can always retake it given you'll be in year 11 next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Astrtricks
It depends on what subjects you want to do for a levels in terms of direct effects to you. It may hamper you if you want to do chemistry or any other science at A level but most places only require you have B to pursue the subject further anyway and if you get good grades in other sciences it won't matter if you wish to carry on studying them or subjects like psychology.

I definitely won't be taking chemistry for A-level. I hated it as a subject. I might not even take a science for that matter. Maybe physics, but that's unlikely. I'm probably more interested in computer science or history. A-levels are still a bit of a mystery to me.

All that's really worrying me is that a B will look a bit odd next to a bunch of As and a couple of A*s.

Quick Reply

Latest