The Student Room Group

For those living with parents - how much do you pay board?

And has this been decided based on your earnings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I pay £45 every fortinight (I get paid fortnightly).
i pay £100 a month as i earn about £400 after what i reinvest in my business
Wow you guys have got it good. Staying at home is a good option if that is all you need to pay. Well done.:smile:
Reply 4
25 per week.

I did have to pay 40 per week when I was working full time.
Reply 5
Original post by Airfairy
And has this been decided based on your earnings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 20 my sister is 22 we pay zilch/nothing mum cooks, does laundry, buys groceries, lets us borrow her money if we need it (don't ever need to take out a loan)
perks of living in an asian family :biggrin:
Original post by Jerry
I'm 20 my sister is 22 we pay zilch/nothing mum cooks, does laundry, buys groceries, lets us borrow her money if we need it (don't ever need to take out a loan)
perks of living in an asian family :biggrin:

Is that the norm in all asian families? How can they afford it?
Here in Austria it's very uncommon to pay rent to your parents before you have graduated from university and started a proper career.
To be honest, I've never even heard of anybody who is still a student and paying rent to their parents, before seeing this thread.
Reply 8
I pay £240 per month :smile: (110 every two weeks)
Reply 9
[QUOTESimonthegreat;58155481]Is that the norm in all asian families? How can they afford it?

Yeah pretty much the norm and I love it :biggrin: Not too sure on how they can afford it I think the difference is between white and asian families is that asian's don't drink or go on nights out like white people do ... (not calling it a bad thing though :smile: ) also i think when white people get their wage they tend to blow it out on friday nights, going on vacation etc. Whereas, asian families don't drink and most have savings etc. that's the only reason i can think of not sure if it's all 100% true but yeah :smile:

The other day I said to my mum if i had enough money i'd be glad to move out of this house and she told me no matter how much money you have you don't need to move out unless when you get married so yeah she's more than happy to have us so hey :colone::colone:
Oh what the heck, are they against you two being together or you living in their home?
I pay nothing when ever I am home, actually they give me money lol.
Still not moved out. Full board so to speak: internet, TV, food (including occasional naughty takeaway), laundry (although I usually put my own through the machines)... I pay equivalent of £75 p/w, was £100 p/w before I cut my hours at work due to health reasons.

Little steep I know but until recently I've been the only one working out of 4 adults; Mum is disabled and unable to return to work, my sister is her carer, and sister's fiancé has until recently been out of work. The way I look at it, it's cheaper than living on my own and if I were to pay the equivalent in rent somewhere (even for a bedsit/single room) it wouldn't cover food etc.
Reply 13
Wow... I didn't know people living with their parents had to pay rent. I don't pay anything, never have, and my mum doesn't expect me to. In fact, she's against it & she doesn't want me to move out the house unless I'm married *sigh* :indiff:
I pay £25 a week but I buy my own food and most of our electricity is solar powered, otherwise it'd be £40.
Original post by stars_
Wow... I didn't know people living with their parents had to pay rent. I don't pay anything, never have, and my mum doesn't expect me to. In fact, she's against it & she doesn't want me to move out the house unless I'm married *sigh* :indiff:

I don't see why some people think this is bizarre. Just because parents have their child (who is usually an adult by the time they're paying board anyway) pay them money for food, water, heating, electricity etc. it doesn't mean they're being harsh. It teaches important financial lessons & means you don't develop a carefree attitude towards money & realise that basic things cost money. It's certainly better than having them pay for anything meaning you're less prepared when you do actually move out & have to look after yourself

I'm not saying that's what you're implying or anything, you just set me off on one
Reply 16
Original post by TornadoGR4
I don't see why some people think this is bizarre. Just because parents have their child (who is usually an adult by the time they're paying board anyway) pay them money for food, water, heating, electricity etc. it doesn't mean they're being harsh. It teaches important financial lessons & means you don't develop a carefree attitude towards money & realise that basic things cost money. It's certainly better than having them pay for anything meaning you're less prepared when you do actually move out & have to look after yourself

I'm not saying that's what you're implying or anything, you just set me off on one

No, I understand. I guess cultural differences also play a part in how people go about these things too? Just that this is the first time I'm hearing of this, that's all :smile:
I'm home for about 5 months a year (when I'm not at uni) and I don't pay for anything. My parents probably wouldn't expect anything unless I was working full time.

I'm expected to find my own place after uni though
I pay absolutely nothing (though I'm away at university for a good portion of the year) and neither does my older brother who's into his twenties.

Those people seem a bit crazy. Not allowed to keep food in a fridge? Not allowed to use a dryer? Getting annoyed at a bin?
Reply 19
At the moment I'm on jobseekers allowance and get about £50 a week. I pay £10 a week board - mainly as a contribution towards food. This will go up once I have a job though. (Reactions and opinions on this are welcome as there's a big debate between my Mum and my Stepdad - he would like me to be paying a lot more)...

Quick Reply

Latest