The Student Room Group

Course involving sustainability, ecology, urban planning, geography

I've searched TSR for answers but didn't find anything like that so I'm starting a new topic.

I seriously have no idea what I should study at university. I'm doing Geography, Biology, Maths and Further Maths for A levels. I'm really interested in sustainability, sustainable urban settlements, ecology -- this kind of stuff. I'm really concerned about the environment, I'm kind of a 'recycling freak' (I try to teach people in my school to recycle and reuse... it's really sad when they don't care or can't do it properly).

I volunteer for the National Trust and I'm a contributor for YJI, I like to write articles and take photos etc. and I can imagine myself in a couple of years working for a magazine, or a website, or for a NGO for example Greenpeace or WWF.

I was planning on going to study Geography, more like human geography (so BA/MA in Scotland), but maybe I should choose something more specific? I don't have work experience (just volunteering) and I don't think I will get any placement, but I want to apply for a course that my National Trust work (I'm also doing Gold DofE) will support so something strongly connected with the environment.

Do you have any ideas? Or maybe you study or know a specific course on a specific university that could match my interests?

(I would love to study in Scotland, so any information on Scottish unis is very very kindly welcome).

Thanks a lot for reading & helping xx
Personally I haven't studied geography since year 9 but looking through the prospectus, St. Andrew's has a course in Sustainable Development which seems pretty cool and might be the kinda thing you're looking for [x].
I'm currently doing environmental science. Look into that, it seems like it would go well with what you want. I can recommend Plymouth's course. Ive just finished my first year and loved it.
Reply 4
Thanks a lot folks, I'll have a look at them tomorrow :smile: (absolutely knackered after a whole day on a train) If anyone has heard of any courses that are less scientific, I'll be glad too. Also, any ideas on work experience for environmental sciences etc?
Environmental science at Plymouth is excellent. Would highly recommend! :biggrin:

EDIT:
Original post by kunoichi
I'm currently doing environmental science. Look into that, it seems like it would go well with what you want. I can recommend Plymouth's course. Ive just finished my first year and loved it.

No way.

I think I know you! :P Just finished my first year at Plymouth too!
Volunteering for work with Conservation Volunteers(http://www.tcv.org.uk/) and Groundwork UK(www.groundwork.org.uk/default.aspx) would be relevant, as is WWoof where you work on organic smallholdings or farm in exchange for bed & food. Also have a read of this : http://www.theguardian.com/careers/environment-graduate-career-tips
Original post by ChemicalBond
Environmental science at Plymouth is excellent. Would highly recommend! :biggrin:

EDIT:

No way.

I think I know you! :P Just finished my first year at Plymouth too!

Oh hey! I know you too! I'm the one with the piercings. Congrats on your first!
Original post by kunoichi
Oh hey! I know you too! I'm the one with the piercings. Congrats on your first!

Hello! :biggrin: Thank you, congratulations on your 2:1 as well! :smile:
Reply 9
Haha, nice that this thread helped you to find each other. :tongue:

Thanks for the suggestions, @returnmigrant. I'll see what I can do during the school year (I'm only a boarder, I live in a different country). I'm also doing a DofE residential in YHA in October, we'll be doing some environmental work perhaps so I could add that too.
I'm planning on doing an EPQ on waste or sustainable cities, or green housing. That's because I think unis should really appreciate EPQs because this is the kind of work people do at uni (own research and 'dissertation' type of work).
Students doing geography/environmental/sustainability type courses/modules should seriously think about doing a urban/town/spatial planning post-grad course. Undertaking a post-grad prog that has been accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute will allow you to become a professionally qualified Town Planner after a period of planning experience. The RTPI have a list of accredited programmes on their Web site (http://www.rtpi.org.uk/education-and-careers/find-a-course/accredited-qualifications/) and many universities will have some scholarship funding to help you.

Joe Doak (Associate Professor of Urban Planning & Development, University of Reading)
Original post by Loony_26
Thanks a lot folks, I'll have a look at them tomorrow :smile: (absolutely knackered after a whole day on a train) If anyone has heard of any courses that are less scientific, I'll be glad too. Also, any ideas on work experience for environmental sciences etc?

Work experience for envi science is broad ranging and due to the nature of the course you can probably justify applying for experience that belongs to a 'sister' degree if you get what I mean.

Environmental science can be applied in many areas - university's tend to spout consultancy but oil and gas, airports and aviation, nuclear, water and utilities etc will all need environment departments and something will be available somewhere.

Getting internships is competitive - you need to be doing well academically and be driven to get the internship you are applying for. But both myself and my best friend got them so definitely doable!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending