The Student Room Group

Russia débuts straight flag

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/vladimir-putins-united-russia-party-unveils-straight-flag-to-rival-gay-pride-symbol-10377440.html

Vladimir Putin's United Russia Party unveils 'straight flag' to rival gay pride symbol

Upset, dismayed and evidently feeling a little left out by the global embrace of the gay pride flag following the US Supreme Court ruling legalising same-sex marriage, Vladimir Putin's United Russia Party has hit back against with their own "straight" flag.While homosexuality is not illegal in Russia, Mr Putin introduced a law in 2013 that bans symbols which promote "non-traditional" values.Homosexuality is not illegal in Russia, however the country has implemented a law since 2013 which outlaws the use of symbols which could be considered "propaganda" promoting "non traditional" values.Therefore, in response to the LGBT movement's rainbow flag, the United Russia Party unveiled a flag that celebrates the traditional, nuclear Russian family: it depicts two parents - a woman and a man - holding hands with three children. The flag was unveiled at a party rally in Moscow's Sokolniki park on the Day of Family, Love and Fidelity, an annual country-wide celebration held on July 8.Andrei Lisovenko, deputy head of the United Russia branch in Moscow, told the Izvestia newspaper, "This is our response to same-sex marriage, to this mockery of the concept of the family."We have to warn against gay-fever at home and support traditional values in our country."We are speaking of the traditional family. We mean the average standard Russian family that is ours: mother, father and three children."The flag was launched alongside the hashtag: #realfamily and it comes in three different Russian coloured backgrounds.On social media, many were quick to point out that United Russia may have a plagiarism case on their hands, given that the flag of La Manif Pour Tous, a French group against gay marriage, is incredibly similar to the Russian one, the only difference being that United Russia's nuclear family has three children, while the French stopped at just the two kids.Others were just as quick to have fun mocking United Russia's attempt to rival the rainbow flag.A Stonewall spokesperson said: "A #realfamily is not determined by sexual orientation or gender identity, but love. That sentiment is certainly missing from this flag as is, in our opinion, a splash more colour. It’s also another example of how much work we still have left to do to combat homophobic, biphobic and transphobic attitudes and behaviours."

Scroll to see replies

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Reply 2
the United Russia Party unveiled a flag that celebrates the traditional, nuclear Russian family: it depicts two parents - a woman and a man - holding hands with three children.

They've apparently omitted the five discarded Vodka bottles left on the rug, then.
Russia is one of the worst places for family life, the level of premature deaths in men due to depression and alcoholism, domestic abuse within marriages, it's a complete joke that Putin can act as if they have this ideal.
:lolwut:

It's not even well designed. You'd think Vlad's gang of bloodthirsty reactionaries posing as anti-capitalists with a Fox News twist when on the telly would at least be able to come up with a decent flag to serve their fascist delusions of grandeur.

It must be the Vodka.
Well one of the laughingstocks of the world does something stupid again. Who'd have thought it :lol:
Reply 6
Looks like a flag for child molesters.
Reply 7
Me thinks they doth protest too much.
This is just the most unnecessary thing:facepalm:
Plot twist: The silhouette is of a transwoman.

Pretty progressive for Russia.
I particularly like how Hugh Laurie phrased it:

'I'd boycott Russian goods if I could think of a single thing they made besides the rest of the world depressed.'
Reply 11
Good step I think it is about time people with traditional values united and started countering gay pride parades.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

It's not even well designed. You'd think Vlad's gang of bloodthirsty reactionaries posing as anti-capitalists with a Fox News twist when on the telly would at least be able to come up with a decent flag to serve their fascist delusions of grandeur.

It must be the Vodka.

Hey don't blame the vodka! :frown:
Original post by Fullofsurprises

It's not even well designed.

hmm, perhaps we need a talk about what is usually true of people working in design.
I suppose you want Russia to be like that Eurovision bearded lady?

Or how about that Bruce Jenner?

These people are heavily promoted by the media. They should not be role models, their behaviour not encouraged.. but that is what the media does.

Read the protocols of Zion. They planned to destabilize the West by destroying society. They promote the destruction of the family, homosexuality, transgenderism, PROMISCUITY. Use feminism to turn male against female and make women feel oppressed for having children and being MOTHERS.

Vladamir Putin is a great man. He is the leader Europeans need. Too bad most will just see it as bigotry.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't get it. Why are you all so angry that someone introduced a straight flag?

Is this the cultural Marxism speaking? We think it's OK to have the black Policeman's society but not the White policeman's society thing going on here because minorities need to be constantly pandered to?

Why don't you want to celebrate your Hetero pride!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Résistance
I suppose you want Russia to be like that Eurovision bearded lady?

Or how about that Bruce Jenner?

These people are heavily promoted by the media. They should not be role models, their behaviour not encouraged.. but that is what the media does.

Read the protocols of Zion. They planned to destabilize the West by destroying society. They promote the destruction of the family, homosexuality, transgenderism, PROMISCUITY. Use feminism to turn male against female and make women feel oppressed for having children and being MOTHERS.

Vladamir Putin is a great man. He is the leader Europeans need. Too bad most will just see it as bigotry.

And don't forget the role of the Frankfurt School that influenced the entire education system to promote subverted values.

It really is astonishing to see how people can see what is actually going on in the world. (Real history and real news).

Folks, you don't get the full story from the institutions or mass media.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am not opposed to either gay marriage or straight marriage with more than two children. I would happily fly these flags side by side:

Original post by cranbrook_aspie
This is just the most unnecessary thing:facepalm:

And if you look into what makes up the rainbow flag and why, you'll see it is incvlusive of everyone anyway, straight people too! XD oh dear Russia!
That spokesman is right, we do have to warn against that nasty infection known as "gay-fever". Outbreaks normally result in symptoms of fabulousness, farting rainbows and bad karaoke versions of YMCA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending