The Student Room Group
My first reaction is that you should just choose the course that you think you will still find worthwhile and enjoyable after 3 years. In this case, it sounds like you prefer drama. I don't know how enthusiastic you are about languages, but you shouldn't do them just for your career if you're going to hate it.
Nevertheless, you should remember that it is extremely difficult to get into acting, etc, so you do need a back up plan in case it doesn't work out. Also, there are several universites where you can combine language and drama (for example, I considered German and Drama at Bristol) so maybe you could look into that as a happy compromise.
Reply 2
Yea i was thinking the same thing-though my passion is for drama, i do enjoy languages and i suppose the cultural education a long course would give me would be pretty worthwhile. the only worries i had were from people i know who've taken languages and didnt seem to enjoy their courses. But I suppose that's just personal preference. Linguistics alwyas looked pretty interesting too-what made you decide on it?
Reply 3
I have a friend who also wants 2 go into drama, but she chose to do an undergraduate degree in another subject but then go on 2 do a drama postgrad. Apparently they like that coz it shows that u can do more than just drama. Languages I recon wld go quite well with it- u'll be studying literature which is closely related plus u will speak 2 other languages fluently which is definately an advantage if they need ppl for roles abroad.
Reply 4
Well with languages you would be able to be a broadcaster/presenter if you wanted. I personally don't see what a drama degree has to do with broadcasting or presenting, and many actors don't have any formal training in drama at all. You can get all the drama you need by doing something like joining the local drama club, or the drama soc in your uni. Personally I love drama but have never actually studied it, just been involved in drama clubs and the like (although I have done drama lessons they were much more practice orientated and not at all like the drama lessons people have at GCSE or A Level).
sootycoconut
Linguistics alwyas looked pretty interesting too-what made you decide on it?
Linguistics rules :cool:

I chose linguistics because I'm just completely obsessed with languages in general. Since linguistics is the study of language, it was perfect for me.

To me, it doesn't sound as though you're completely interested in language. You said you "enjoy them" and you "suppose the cultural side would be worthwile" but I'm not sure whether your primary interest is languages.

Ignore me if I'm wrong. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending