The Student Room Group

Can you undergo CBT whilst at university?

I just finished my second year at university and am currently at home for the summer holidays.

I think I have social anxiety and want to see a doctor about it. I'm registered with a GP at my university, does that mean I can't go to my GP at home who I was previously registered with?

In the case that I do have social anxiety, and decide to undergo treatment for it (medical or CBT), how would that work? It really wouldn't be practical for me to travel between uni and home weekly for sessions.

Argh, I'm so confused about what I'm supposed to do. Please help someone!
Original post by Anonymous
I just finished my second year at university and am currently at home for the summer holidays.

I think I have social anxiety and want to see a doctor about it. I'm registered with a GP at my university, does that mean I can't go to my GP at home who I was previously registered with?

In the case that I do have social anxiety, and decide to undergo treatment for it (medical or CBT), how would that work? It really wouldn't be practical for me to travel between uni and home weekly for sessions.

Argh, I'm so confused about what I'm supposed to do. Please help someone!

You re probably not registered back at your gp at home so might be best to phone up your uni doctors and ask about a referral.
Does your university have any sort of mental health services? I got CBT through mine last year, and it was much quicker than through the NHS. You probably aren't registered with your old GP any more, as I think you can only be with one at a time.
You should probably wait until you're back at university so you wouldn't have to travel between home and uni every week. Actually, it might be an idea for you (if it's not too far) to go see that doctor now and get on the waiting list as there's likely to be one.
Reply 4
Original post by Sabertooth
You should probably wait until you're back at university so you wouldn't have to travel between home and uni every week. Actually, it might be an idea for you (if it's not too far) to go see that doctor now and get on the waiting list as there's likely to be one.

Yeah, if I do get diagnosed with it then I want to get on the waiting list ASAP. Could I visit my GP at home and get them to refer me to a psychologist or whatever where I go to uni do you think? Should I just go to a GP at home and talk to them about possible options? Can't do any harm, can it?
Reply 5
Original post by Sabertooth

Plus, even once I'm back at university, terms are only 8 weeks long, and holidays are 5 weeks long each. It's still not really feasible for me to travel back to uni every week during the holidays :/
You d have to reregister at your home gp and lose your registration at your uni doctors to be able to get a referral from home. Its unlikely you d get a particularly long CBT session, more than 2 months is rare on the nhs from what i ve read so i d say get a referral for your uni gp and contact your unis student support and ask to see their in house counselling service as uni counselling can be longer than what you ll get on the nhs.
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
You d have to reregister at your home gp and lose your registration at your uni doctors to be able to get a referral from home. Its unlikely you d get a particularly long CBT session, more than 2 months is rare on the nhs from what i ve read so i d say get a referral for your uni gp and contact your unis student support and ask to see their in house counselling service as uni counselling can be longer than what you ll get on the nhs.

I did some research and apparently I'd be able to register as a temporary patient at my home GP (lasting 3 months) whilst remaining permanently registered at my university GP. So should I do that and see what my home GP suggests to do?

I'll look into my uni counselling service as well.

Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I did some research and apparently I'd be able to register as a temporary patient at my home GP (lasting 3 months) whilst remaining permanently registered at my university GP. So should I do that and see what my home GP suggests to do?

I'll look into my uni counselling service as well.

Thanks for the help :smile:

be worth a try in the mean time but your gp might suggest you wait till you get back unless their allowed to refer you to someone in your uni area, baring in mind waiting lists are a good few weeks in some areas if not a couple of months sometimes.
Reply 9
Original post by claireestelle
be worth a try in the mean time but your gp might suggest you wait till you get back unless their allowed to refer you to someone in your uni area, baring in mind waiting lists are a good few weeks in some areas if not a couple of months sometimes.

I think I'll see my home GP, and if they say they can't refer me I'll pay a visit to my uni one so I can get on the waiting list ASAP. Thanks so much for helping. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest