The Student Room Group

Is expensive makeup worth it?

For the past few years I've graduated from buying regular store brand make up like Rimmel and Max Factor to more higher end brands like YSL and Dior, but it's getting quite expensive since the items are up to 3x the price of regular products and I always seem to finish everything at the same time so end up spending loads to replace the items!

I feel more confident wearing the better brands and I'm not noticing as many issues with the make up as I did with the regular stuff which may be psychological or an indication of quality. It also seems to give me more of a natural look.

Thoughts ?
I have quite a few expensive foundations including: Mac, Estee Lauder and Tom Ford but my favourite until this day has been Rimmel. Maybe because I wore it since high school until now I feel most comfortable with it and feel that is suitable for all weather's including rain. Where as the expensive ones I feel are not so good for long wear. Therefore I only wear them occasionally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What sorts of things are you looking to buy?

I watch a few makeup artists on YouTube, and some of them have done drug store hauls and explained how some drugstore brands were still quite good on them in terms of the look and affect it had on their skin. But obviously the more expensive brands are better as they don't usually carry the risk of damaging your skin or looking horrible. I don't wear that much makeup, I only wear foundation from Mac. 1. Because drug store makeup brands don't really cater to black people. 2. The matchmaster foundation I have is so amazing it's the perfect match to my skin tone. 3. It lasts for months. I occasionally wear lipsticks, but I buy from brands like Rimmel and L'Oreal, and have had no problems with them.

If what you're buying is expensive but lasts very long then I guess it's worth it. That's why I have no problem buying my foundation from Mac because I know it's worth the price.
I think some makeup is very much overpriced for what it is, but it depends on what you are buying and the alternatives available. I don't usually spend much money on things such as mascara and eyeliner because I've found a lot of high street brands that are really good and inexpensive for that. However, I will buy more high end foundation because I've not found any foundation by cheaper brands that match my skin tone. :smile:
I've started collecting MAC lipsticks and I personally find that it's worth paying that little bit extra, however you can still get very good lipsticks for a fraction of the price so it's down to preference really. I love the wide range of lipsticks offered by MAC though :tongue: I also agree it depends on the type of makeup as some of my best mascaras have been lower end brands.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I prefer rimmel for everyday but I do save my MAC and NARS for special occasions because they look a lot better. But for everyday I'd have a cheaper foundation if I were you, check YouTube and online to see dupes for high end makeup you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest