The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

History BA Feedback

Could anyone who's done history or looking to do history fill me in on what they know about it? Such as modules in first year and contact time
Original post by FFC96
Could anyone who's done history or looking to do history fill me in on what they know about it? Such as modules in first year and contact time

Hello,

I currently study History and Archaeology at the University of Reading and have just finished my first year. Unfortunately you will be taking different History modules to previous years as the course has been updated for the new undergraduates in September. The compulsory modules you will take include;
- Journeys though History 1: Power and People (Gives an introduction of political and social History and includes topics such as Industrial, People and Global power as well as the power of Kings and Parliament. You will have to write an essay and review 2 articles.)
- Journeys though History 2: Culture and Context (Gives an introduction to cultural and intellectual history including areas such as chivalry, the reformation, romanticism, evolution and feminism. You will have to write an essay and complete a piece of coursework)
- Research Skills and Opportunities in History (to help with analysis of primary and secondary sources, you then have to choose any historical topic and write an in-depth study on it).

Optional Modules include:
- Ideas and Ideologies
- Texts and Contexts
- Past and Present

You will get more information of each of the modules and how many optional modules you can take after you have your results and a confirmed place at the University later in August. Each of the core modules usually have 2 lectures a week and then a seminar every 2 weeks, however this isn't always the case! I would say your contact hours will range between 8 and 10 hours a week.

I hope this helped, feel free to ask any more questions,
Amelia :biggrin:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending