The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is the age of consent right?

Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone thought as far as the age of consent goes. Do you think 16 in the UK is too young or too old considering lots of other countries have different ages of consent?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emmajones12770
Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone thought as far as the age of consent goes. Do you think 16 in the UK is too young or too old considering lots of other countries have different ages of consent?

I think it is right, personally. I think a lot of people feel ready and are aware enough to make the decision to consent when they are 16.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I think it is right, personally. I think a lot of people feel ready and are aware enough to make the decision to consent when they are 16.

Yeah 15 or 16 is the way to go on this one.
Original post by BurstingBubbles

So do I personally. It suprised me the other day though whwn a friend said Spain's age of consent is 13! That's what made me think, is ours quite high in relation to other countries?
Reply 4
I'd say its a well considered age, but from what I can gather from my own school and information from friends and the internet, it isn't terribly helpful as most kids don't care about the age and go for sex whilst they are far younger, where they are not mature enough to deal with it and the consequences.
So do I personally. It suprised me the other day though whwn a friend said Spain's age of consent is 13! That's what made me think, is ours quite high in relation to other countries?

Over 14, under 17. You have to think though that girls mature faster than guys do so....

A lot of countries have a consent age of 18. I think that's too high. People will have sex when they want, at the end of the day - the age of consent is to protect children as they are vulnerable... I don't think the majority of 16/17 year olds are vulnerable, and are aware of what they are doing. I'm 19 and I don't feel much more 'mature' than I did when I was 16/17 in that way, but I think I was quite naive when I was 14/15 though :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by cbreef
Over 14, under 17. You have to think though that girls mature faster than guys do so....

I guess, though you'd have to take into account pregnancies...would you allow 14 yr olds to have kids? What about school?
Original post by Saleha09
I guess, though you'd have to take into account pregnancies...would you allow 14 yr olds to have kids? What about school?

I was getting at the fact that 15 or 16 is the way to go
Kids under 16 still have sex. Age of consent is nothing. Only purpose is serves is obviously getting pedophiles arrested.
Reply 10
Original post by ghost88
I'd say its a well considered age, but from what I can gather from my own school and information from friends and the internet, it isn't terribly helpful as most kids don't care about the age and go for sex whilst they are far younger, where they are not mature enough to deal with it and the consequences.

The age of consent is mostly in place to stop those over 16 from exploiting young adolescents, not to stop teens from having sex.
What happens if you do have sex below the age of consent (and both of you are below age)
I think 16 is a pretty good age as I think if the age was lower I may have made decisions I wasn't ready to make had I ended up in an awkward position when I was younger. However, I think if the people involved are mature enough to be fully comfortable with their choices, and saying no if they want to, there shouldn't really be a punishment for them should something occur, provided there's no significant age gap/ power issues within the relationship.
You can put the age of consent at whatever you want, young people will still have sex so its more important to focus on educating people about safe sex and relationships/emotions at as young an age as possible.
However i think 18 is probably best to be honest, some people aren't emotionally ready for sex at age 16 and it can lead to a lot of issues with relationships later on, but like I said, people won't wait until they are 18.
Hi all,

I don't think having an age of consent stops anyone anyway, so in a way it's kinda pointless
13 is very, very young. I know some 13 year olds do have sex (although it's worth noting many don't), but at 13 you are very much still a child, and not really ready to deal with the consequences of having sex, or the issues that come with it.

16 is still pretty young, and probably too young for some people.

In some ways, I think having a hard age of consent isn't helpful- I think it's ok for a 16 year old to have sex with another 16 year old (or a 15 year old, or say, and 18 year old). I don't think it's ok for a 16 year old to have sex with someone who's say, 20. There's a huge maturity gap, and the potential for exploitation is just too much.

Having a hard age is obviously much easier to enforce though, and to be fair the law in the UK does say something about the purpose of the law not being to criminalise people of a similar age experimenting together.

In general, I think between the ages of say, 13 and 30, the 1/2 your age +7 rule is actually a pretty good guideline :tongue:
Original post by Saleha09
What happens if you do have sex below the age of consent (and both of you are below age)

If both of you are younger than 16, in theory nothing would happen, although if you both were very young, questions might be asked about your home life/situation. Assuming both of you were of a similar age (say 14), normally it would be seen as fine.

Prosecutions only tend to happen when one party is significantly older than the other.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If both of you are younger than 16, in theory nothing would happen, although if you both were very young, questions might be asked about your home life/situation. Assuming both of you were of a similar age (say 14), normally it would be seen as fine.

Prosecutions only tend to happen when one party is significantly older than the other.

Also isn't there an act to protect 16 and 17 year olds for having sex with a 14/15 year olds (I think it's 13 and under which is not allowed)? Iirc it's only once they are over 18 that sex with under 16 can lead to prosecution? :holmes:
Hmmm, I'd rather raise it to 18.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think it should be left alone tbh because you will get more nasty ****ers perving and having sex with school kids.
Imo it should be anyone who attends school i,e from year 7 -11 you should not be allowed to have sex with them

Latest

Trending

Trending