The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is the age of consent right?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OU Student
eh? You can get complications during pregnancy at any age.

it's nothing to do with pregnancy complications. I do think somewhere between 16 & 18 is about right. 13 - 14 is too young imo.

I've always assumed that a 14 year old has a much higher risk of dying during childbirth than a 16 year old, no?
Reply 81
@zippity do you think the age of consent should be 13?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by Coke1
Absolute rubbish, the study must of been done at an all girls catholic school.

But whatever makes you sleep at night.

From my experience Catholic schools usually have the people who sleep around the most. I would say those numbers are right, most boys claim to have had sex at a young age but it's usually a lie

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by Wade-
From my experience Catholic schools usually have the people who sleep around the most. I would say those numbers are right, most boys claim to have had sex at a young age but it's usually a lie

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry, so you think 70% of 16 year olds are still virgins? I don't think so.
Reply 84
Original post by Coke1
I'm sorry, so you think 70% of 16 year olds are still virgins? I don't think so.

Well I have no reason to doubt it, most of my friends were still virgins when they turned 16

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coke1

I would agree with that figure tbh. Even if people had 'experimented' before 16, most people at school hadn't had sex until sixth-form or uni, at the earliest.
Original post by jcwh97
@zippity do you think the age of consent should be 13?

Posted from TSR Mobile

some basic background information for you: I'm a libertarian and there are a lot of things that I believe that aren't based on emotion or culture but only on freedom for the sake of allowing individuals to decide their life choices for themselves as much as possible. to that end, I think if freedom can be increased, then obviously it should. if there are any bad consequences for private individuals based on their own choices to take risks with that liberty, then that was entirely up to them. their misfortune shouldn't be a reason to suppress liberty

yes, I think the age of consent would be fine at 13 - it's that age in japan and they're fine - no pandemic of teen sex abuse. I could say 12 (it's 12 in mexico and in some american states - look it up) but I don't, because I wouldn't say the majority of people start puberty (the time where people start feeling sexual attraction and therefore a readiness of sexual reproduction/intercourse) at that age, and 13 is the more reasonable age regarding that.

I'd even more easily say the age of consent should be 14, because it's proved fine in other european liberal democracies like germany, italy, austria, portugal, estonia, etc. it's 15 in france, sweden, denmark, etc. there are just so many countries that have proven that it doesn't need to be as high as 16 in society so why limit human liberty?
Original post by emmajones12770
Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone thought as far as the age of consent goes. Do you think 16 in the UK is too young or too old considering lots of other countries have different ages of consent?

I think it should be lower in Spain it's 14 and teen pregnancy is much lower heaving the age of consent so low kind of gives kids less to rebel against.
i honestly think the age of consent right now is perfect. It allows us real teenagers to do the 'stuff' (cringe I know I didn't know what else to say) while protecting younger preteens from abuse when they arn't as aware and have so many hormones rushing through them that they can't make a rational decision. It also stops older men praying on younger children and stops child prostitution. A lot of women protested to protect us with these laws and I would like to think that by having the age at 16 we are protecting alot of unwanted pregnancy, spreading of diseases and saving innocent children from acts they don't deserve or understand. Sorry that kind of turned into rant there but it's a subject I feel strongly about.

Latest

Trending

Trending