The Student Room Group

Wanting to study in the USA, help needed

I'm turning 20, I'll be starting my second year of University in the UK in September. I've decided to act upon my long and burning desire to move to North America. I just want my options broken down in laymens, I don't have much money up-front if that's a necessity then it's game over. It's something I've always wanted to do, quite frankly I think I need the culture change. Whether it's Canada or the USA, I'd be thrilled with either.

I'm studying television at probably the best University in the UK for media related studies. I'm even very open to starting a new course, something sports related as I have a strong background in sport. As a youngster I played for the youth academy of a top football club, I've looked in to Soccer Scholarships as I know of a few people who have crossed the pond to do them but the information online seems to blow hot and cold as to whether it's a realistic option. I've also been quite successful as a boxer.

What steps should I take starting now? I would really appreciate some help guys, cheers!
Reply 1
I'm going to be honest here, try study abroad or a work placement abroad through your current uni or it's nothing at all. Fact of the matter is that the American College system requires a lot of money, money that I'm guessing you don't have and probably won't be able to get unless you got a full scholarship with more money to sustain yourself while studying; this probably won't happen unless you're the next Messi or Ronaldo. You could try for a loan but the risk will far outweigh the reward.

If you somehow won the lottery and found the money go to the College Confidential forums, it's the TSR of the US

If you can't get study or a work placement abroad then your best bet is to find a job over there after you graduate
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mm14
I'm going to be honest here, try study abroad or a work placement abroad through your current uni or it's nothing at all. Fact of the matter is that the American College system requires a lot of money, money that I'm guessing you don't have and probably won't be able to get unless you got a full scholarship with more money to sustain yourself while studying; this probably won't happen unless you're the next Messi or Ronaldo. You could try for a loan but the risk will far outweigh the reward.

If you somehow won the lottery and found the money go to the College Confidential forums, it's the TSR of the US

If you can't get study or a work placement abroad then your best bet is to find a job over there after you graduate

Thanks a lot! I actually missed out on study abroad this year unfortunately. Are you certain the move would require a tonne of money up-front? is there not any kind of international student loans or financial aid?

I have mutual friends with quite a few people who are on scholarships in the USA playing football (soccer), and I really don't think they were in too much of a different financial position as I am. They definitely were not the best footballers either, in all honestly they were slightly above average at best at that counts for all of them. The whole soccer scholarship thing baffle me, one side of me believes it's all a hype job that companies are exploiting by selling dreams to kids over here, many articles say this, but then I actually see quite a few people living the dream and playing in the US.
Reply 3
Original post by punyuni
Thanks a lot! I actually missed out on study abroad this year unfortunately. Are you certain the move would require a tonne of money up-front? is there not any kind of international student loans or financial aid?

I have mutual friends with quite a few people who are on scholarships in the USA playing football (soccer), and I really don't think they were in too much of a different financial position as I am. They definitely were not the best footballers either, in all honestly they were slightly above average at best at that counts for all of them. The whole soccer scholarship thing baffle me, one side of me believes it's all a hype job that companies are exploiting by selling dreams to kids over here, many articles say this, but then I actually see quite a few people living the dream and playing in the US.

Grass is always greener on the other side, financial aid for international students is minimal if it even exists, loans will cripple you financially. Here's an excerpt from someone wanting to transfer to the US, bare in mind NYU2012 is working on the assumption that this person's time in uni will transfer over, whereas you will most likely have to start again.

Original post by hay_gra
I'm not too concerned about financing, I can get a loan and would most likely have a co-signer. It's more a question of whether they would accept me as a Sophomore (2nd year). But again, thank you!
Original post by punyuni
I'm turning 20, I'll be starting my second year of University in the UK in September. I've decided to act upon my long and burning desire to move to North America. I just want my options broken down in laymens, I don't have much money up-front if that's a necessity then it's game over. It's something I've always wanted to do, quite frankly I think I need the culture change. Whether it's Canada or the USA, I'd be thrilled with either.

I'm studying television at probably the best University in the UK for media related studies. I'm even very open to starting a new course, something sports related as I have a strong background in sport. As a youngster I played for the youth academy of a top football club, I've looked in to Soccer Scholarships as I know of a few people who have crossed the pond to do them but the information online seems to blow hot and cold as to whether it's a realistic option. I've also been quite successful as a boxer.

What steps should I take starting now? I would really appreciate some help guys, cheers!

Sorry wanted to ask as this post seems helpful for me also, so you've just finished your first year here in the UK but you would like to transfer to another university in the US? Is the possible to do as the courses may not be the same over at the US?
Reply 5
Original post by Cherry82
Sorry wanted to ask as this post seems helpful for me also, so you've just finished your first year here in the UK but you would like to transfer to another university in the US? Is the possible to do as the courses may not be the same over at the US?

I believe you can, but it's not like your Universities would be in contact. You would just apply elsewhere and drop out of your current one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending