The Student Room Group

What to do in a gap year?

My gap year begins this September, and I don't have a lot planned. I can't travel really so I'm already limited. I did have a full-time job lined up for me through a mutual friend, however I took so long finishing my exams and stuff that they no longer need me :frown:

So basically my goals for this gap year:
- Carry on finding a job,
- Retake some exams (not more than 6)
- Learn to drive & swim (possibly boxing)
- Things to prepare me for uni (like cooking and stuff)
- Gym more often, join classes etc.
- Get back into reading a lot.

What else? Tbh most of these won't take up the whole day and I don't want my parents thinking I have chosen to waste a year. I could have gone to uni this year but I chose not to since my grades won't be good for my intended university.

Any advice is appreciated. ^.^ thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by diamondluck
My gap year begins this September, and I don't have a lot planned. I can't travel really so I'm already limited. I did have a full-time job lined up for me through a mutual friend, however I took so long finishing my exams and stuff that they no longer need me :frown:

So basically my goals for this gap year:
- Carry on finding a job,
- Retake some exams (not more than 6)
- Learn to drive & swim (possibly boxing)
- Things to prepare me for uni (like cooking and stuff)
- Gym more often, join classes etc.
- Get back into reading a lot.

What else? Tbh most of these won't take up the whole day and I don't want my parents thinking I have chosen to waste a year. I could have gone to uni this year but I chose not to since my grades won't be good for my intended university.

Any advice is appreciated. ^.^ thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey diamondluck,
Firstly I would just like to highlight that when you come to handing out your CV for jobs in the future, whatever job that may be, you may be questioned at some point on your gap year and what you did during that year. Looking through your list, I don't think all of them are good enough to state the use of your gap year really so my advice,
- look for one or two work experience placements relevant to your your degree
- find relevant or general enjoyable voluntary work

Both of these will show you have used your time effectively, you have gained valuable work experience and have gained useful skills.

Hope I helped and enjoy your gap year! : )
Reply 2
Original post by FutureDr.
Hey diamondluck,
Firstly I would just like to highlight that when you come to handing out your CV for jobs in the future, whatever job that may be, you may be questioned at some point on your gap year and what you did during that year. Looking through your list, I don't think all of them are good enough to state the use of your gap year really so my advice,
- look for one or two work experience placements relevant to your your degree
- find relevant or general enjoyable voluntary work

Both of these will show you have used your time effectively, you have gained valuable work experience and have gained useful skills.

Hope I helped and enjoy your gap year! : )

ok i will do that, is that better than paid work in retail?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest