The Student Room Group

Should the tubes go driverless?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SeaPony
And costing the jobs of hundreds? So instead of a strike there is a glitch? Pathetic.

To be honest i'd prefer it, tube drivers pretty much deserve it due to their greediness.
Ever seen a glitch on the DLR lasting more than 30 minutes? No? Thought not.
Reply 21
Original post by Crystalz
To be honest i'd prefer it, tube drivers pretty much deserve it due to their greediness.
Ever seen a glitch on the DLR lasting more than 30 minutes? No? Thought not.

Too much reliance on technology is dangerous.
Original post by SeaPony

To what extent? Where do you draw the line at "too much" in terms of technology?
Original post by SeaPony

This isn't too much reliance, this is driver-less trains.
Too much reliance on tube drivers is dangerous, they hold London to ransom for higher wages and more holidays than Doctors whilst inciting chaos. People had to sleep at their workplaces because they had to be in the next day and lived too far.
Reply 24
Where are peoples jobs going to be? In the end the employment rate will be around 5% and still decreasing from there. What are you going to be poets and artists?
Original post by SeaPony
Where are peoples jobs going to be? In the end the employment rate will be around 5% and still decreasing from there. What are you going to be poets and artists?

shut up. lol
Do you know how many people are tube drivers. A very small amount. Jobs will still be needed. They can try their hand at something they are qualified for with a substantially lower pay like the rest of us.
Reply 26
shut up. lol
Do you know how many people are tube drivers. A very small amount. Jobs will still be needed. They can try their hand at something they are qualified for with a substantially lower pay like the rest of us.

When will technology take those jobs?
Original post by SeaPony

Unless we create life like artificial intelligence, never. For a lot of jobs human connection is needed.
Obviously. This is a complete no-brainer.
Original post by Bret_Clement
Technology will move forward and we probably will have no drivers in the tubes eventually but where will it end? We have technology taking everybody's jobs and only creating minimal jobs to replace all of the ones that are going. Unemployment is already high. Boycott supermarkets that have self serve checkouts and where possible buy stuff made in your own country.

That's really dumb.
Original post by SeaPony

Restricting technology to prevent jobs becoming obsolete is one of the most stupid things I have ever heard in my entire life, but then, you are a tea party supporter so it's certainly something I should expect from you.

If we restricted technology on this basis, we would still have hundreds of people working in 'gangs' on farms or people with pickaxes going down mines as they do in Sierra Leone and South Africa. Either new jobs will be created in a new more high tech economy or working hours for current jobs will be reduced, heck lots of people dream of a post scarcity society where machines carry out most of the work.
Reply 31
All I am saying is there are becoming less and less jobs available because of technology. So what will we do in 200 hundred years or so? Just piss around being waited on by a robot?
Reply 32
And btw why do you think I am a tea party supporter? Oh the flag, well the flag does not represent the tea party. Best look that up.
Original post by SeaPony
All I am saying is there are becoming less and less jobs available because of technology. So what will we do in 200 hundred years or so? Just piss around being waited on by a robot?

At the same time more and more jobs are becoming created due to technology.
Original post by SeaPony

Rather than complaining that they are being replaced by a machine or even by immigrants people really do need to adopt a mentality of improving themselves, learning new skills and adapting rather than complaining.

Currently jobs exist which people 200 years ago wouldn't even be able to imagine in their minds so obviously within 200 years time there will be completely different jobs which need to be performed.At some point yes this will be the case, people will be able to lead lives based on doing what they enjoy without really working, but this is far in the future.

Original post by SeaPony
And btw why do you think I am a tea party supporter? Oh the flag, well the flag does not represent the tea party. Best look that up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsden_flag#Tea_Party_Movement_symbol

Exactly.

If a machine automates a task, the person who was previously employed to carry out that task is able to perform the next task nobody was performing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35

Not as many that are being taken away.
So in the end all of us will be scientists? Don't be ridiculous.
Original post by SeaPony
Not as many that are being taken away.
So in the end all of us will be scientists? Don't be ridiculous.

In the end robots will take over and we'll all be obsolete? Don't be ridiculous.
Reply 37
Original post by yo radical one
There may or may not be.Currently jobs exist which people 200 years ago wouldn't even be able to imagine in their minds so obviously within 200 years time there will be completely different jobs which need to be performed.At some point yes this will be the case, people will be able to lead lives based on doing what they enjoy without really working, but this is far in the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsden_flag#Tea_Party_Movement_symbol

So we won't work? Just become lazy slobs? What a disgusting society.

The flag does not just represent the tea party movement.
Reply 38
In the end robots will take over and we'll all be obsolete? Don't be ridiculous.

That is not a positive thing.
Original post by SeaPony
So we won't work? Just become lazy slobs? What a disgusting society.

The flag does not just represent the tea party movement.

At some point no, however this doesn't mean we won't do things.

There is sport, art, self-improvement, learning lots of things people will do rather than degenerate, at the same time, your attitude of believing in work for the sake of work rather than work for progress, is far worse.

If a machine can perform a task better than a person, faster, never needing to rest, be paid, there is no reason for a person to carry out that task out of some sense of duty or rustic honour.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest