The Student Room Group

What To Do If Predicted Grades Aren't Great

Hello all.

I've just finished my AS's and am in a bit of a pickle. I have taken Maths, AS Further Maths, English Literature and Philosophy. I am dropping Philosophy and picking up Economics to do for next year (AS and A2 in one year).

My maths exams have gone quite poorly. I must be close to 95% in my C1 but have gotten around 60%+ in C2 and about 50%+ in M1. Around 85% in D1. I have started C3 and am excelling, and have since been doing C2 and M1 so much that I could easily get 90% if I sat them right now.

My main concern is that due to my poor performance in C2 and M1 my AS level grade will be poor. This will then mean that my predicted grade will be worse. I am worried that with poor predicted grades for maths and further maths will be poor and will make it much harder to get in to a Russell group uni.

Will doing poorly in these modules hinder my chances of getting accepted into Russell groups even if I am redoing them next year? And by how much?

Thanks in advance for any help, I may add to my predicament but at the moment I am in school and on my phone so I've had to cut it short. Thanks
Original post by Lairyfliquid
Hello all.

I've just finished my AS's and am in a bit of a pickle. I have taken Maths, AS Further Maths, English Literature and Philosophy. I am dropping Philosophy and picking up Economics to do for next year (AS and A2 in one year).

My maths exams have gone quite poorly. I must be close to 95% in my C1 but have gotten around 60%+ in C2 and about 50%+ in M1. Around 85% in D1. I have started C3 and am excelling, and have since been doing C2 and M1 so much that I could easily get 90% if I sat them right now.

My main concern is that due to my poor performance in C2 and M1 my AS level grade will be poor. This will then mean that my predicted grade will be worse. I am worried that with poor predicted grades for maths and further maths will be poor and will make it much harder to get in to a Russell group uni.

Will doing poorly in these modules hinder my chances of getting accepted into Russell groups even if I am redoing them next year? And by how much?

Thanks in advance for any help, I may add to my predicament but at the moment I am in school and on my phone so I've had to cut it short. Thanks

Hey! I'm pretty much in the same situation as you and whilst I'd like to think my teachers know what I'm capable of, unfortunately they're all switching round next year so I worry my predictions will just be the AS grades. This is what happened to my friend last year, and at his school, he was able to get them changed by showing teachers his past paper results and proving his dedication to the subject. It's in the school's best interest to get you to the best uni possible, so if you can show you're worthy of the predicted grades you need, they should cooperate with you. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
same situation as well, fingers crossed for 13 august
i d would wait on your results and say if you re only one grade under on each subject then you might get them to predict what you need, i mean theres no harm in applying and then taking a gap year in a worst case scenario. Depends how competitive the subject you want to do is really.
Reply 4
Shouldn't be a problem tbh, if you're doing well this year and can show your teachers you're gonna resit (?) and/or get high in mocks they can predict you higher.
Reply 5
Hello all.

If you have an amazing personal statement you can apply anywhere excluding Oxbridge. My friend was predicted BBB for a course that was AAA. She got offered a conditional place at Nottingham for AAB I think.
I am worried that with poor predicted grades for maths and further maths will be poor and will make it much harder to get in to a Russell group uni.

Even if your AS results aren't great, you should still get a good prediction and it will be clear that you are resitting. Therefore you should get offers from at least some RG unis. Whether you would from Bath, Lancaster etc is another matter...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by arfah
If you have an amazing personal statement you can apply anywhere excluding Oxbridge. My friend was predicted BBB for a course that was AAA. She got offered a conditional place at Nottingham for AAB I think.

You stalking my posts yeah
Reply 8
Original post by Depleted
You stalking my posts yeah

I was NOT. It was a coincidence! :colonhash:
Hello all.

Same also doing econ in one year to get a better grade overall at A2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending