The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi gang,

Good to see this thread up and running already! People might call you keen, but having gone through the process last year I cannot emphasise the advantage that being prepared early can give you.

I wanted to check in to wish you all the best of luck and share some of my (personal) top tips when applying. A targeted approach is your best bet!

1) Use your summer. You've got a rare free 3 months so utilise them to the full. Get a retail job, volunteer locally or abroad, run a marathon! It really doesn't matter, just enjoy yourself and get some ammo to make your app a bit different.

2) Start drawing up "THE LIST". Narrow down what type of firm you want - type of work, location, size, international opportunities. Get it down to 6-12. Find out the dates these firms open and close for apps, whether they recruit on a rolling basis, when they open for TCs. Using this info, prioritise and order accordingly.

3) Get in the loop. Book onto as many relevant open days, campus events, law fairs, and workshops as you can. Read the legal/business press. Immerse yourself. Not only will you meet the people who will likely be reading your applications, they'll actually remember you.

4) Google "Aspiring Solicitors" - super helpful website/community where you'll meet a diverse range of applicants and experts who can help you.

5) Seek out experienced advice. Take any and every advantage for feedback. This is a learning process, and your apps will get noticeably better along the way.

6) J-SP is your friend! Look out for his/her posts in the forums - s/he is an ex-recruiter and knows exactly what s/he is talking about. Take J-SP's opinions over most others' :colondollar:

7) Stay positive! Don't get hung up on a rejection, a module percentage, or the wealth of legal experience others seem to have. Treat "THE LIST" as if you're already on a vac scheme and you've been given a list of work: complete all the apps to the best of your ability, impress whoever is reading them by allowing your best qualities and motivations to shine through, draw on all the advice you've got, and don't you dare give up until you've got through it all. The interviews will come.

8) Enjoy it. It's a grueling process but you'll meet great people along the way and get some awesome opportunities. Good luck with everything!
Original post by inc0gnit0
Hi gang,

Good to see this thread up and running already! People might call you keen, but having gone through the process last year I cannot emphasise the advantage that being prepared early can give you.

I wanted to check in to wish you all the best of luck and share some of my (personal) top tips when applying. A targeted approach is your best bet!

1) Use your summer. You've got a rare free 3 months so utilise them to the full. Get a retail job, volunteer locally or abroad, run a marathon! It really doesn't matter, just enjoy yourself and get some ammo to make your app a bit different.

2) Start drawing up "THE LIST". Narrow down what type of firm you want - type of work, location, size, international opportunities. Get it down to 6-12. Find out the dates these firms open and close for apps, whether they recruit on a rolling basis, when they open for TCs. Using this info, prioritise and order accordingly.

3) Get in the loop. Book onto as many relevant open days, campus events, law fairs, and workshops as you can. Read the legal/business press. Immerse yourself. Not only will you meet the people who will likely be reading your applications, they'll actually remember you.

4) Google "Aspiring Solicitors" - super helpful website/community where you'll meet a diverse range of applicants and experts who can help you.

5) Seek out experienced advice. Take any and every advantage for feedback. This is a learning process, and your apps will get noticeably better along the way.

6) J-SP is your friend! Look out for his/her posts in the forums - s/he is an ex-recruiter and knows exactly what s/he is talking about. Take J-SP's opinions over most others' :colondollar:

7) Stay positive! Don't get hung up on a rejection, a module percentage, or the wealth of legal experience others seem to have. Treat "THE LIST" as if you're already on a vac scheme and you've been given a list of work: complete all the apps to the best of your ability, impress whoever is reading them by allowing your best qualities and motivations to shine through, draw on all the advice you've got, and don't you dare give up until you've got through it all. The interviews will come.

8) Enjoy it. It's a grueling process but you'll meet great people along the way and get some awesome opportunities. Good luck with everything!

Great post.

Thank you! :h:
Hi everyone,

I'm a non-law undergraduate and am going in to my 4th year after my year abroad.

When do applications open for Training Contracts due to start in 2018? I have heard that some applications open in October for non-law students. Is this the case? Or does it vary from firm to firm?

Thanks
Original post by J-SP
Earliest tends to be 1 October, some will be later, sometimes the 1 November. But it will vary unfortunately, so you will need to check.

The applications tend to not really kick off until December though. Most firms have to wade through a load of different events on campus through October and up to mid to late November, so it isn't really a case of first come first served until these events are finalised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
I have seen on various websites that Norton Rose Fulbright's minimum A-Level requirements are AAB. However, I can't seem to find that information on their own website.

Would someone be able to confirm me that their A-Level requirements are indeed AAB?

Thanks a lot!
Hello Everyone,

I've got a feeling that this thread is going to be extremely helpful for me this year, so I thought that I would introduce myself now.

My first year average is 74.2%, but I have no idea yet as to what area of law I want to possibly look at. Is anybody else the same? Would it be wise to just apply for a variety of VS's in a number of different area's?
Reply 67
Original post by lawstudent18
Hello Everyone,

I've got a feeling that this thread is going to be extremely helpful for me this year, so I thought that I would introduce myself now.

My first year average is 74.2%, but I have no idea yet as to what area of law I want to possibly look at. Is anybody else the same? Would it be wise to just apply for a variety of VS's in a number of different area's?

If you're considering commercial law, a lot of firms put on open days and firm presentations at various universities that you can attend to get a flavour of the type of work done before applying for a VS. Even within commercial law there are a lot of options to consider, e.g. some firms are full service whereas others focus on niche areas like shipping, IP, finance etc.

Such events aren't as common with non-commercial firms so your best bet would be a law fair. There's no harm in applying for a range of VSs however as long as you can show your motivation for law and that firm in particular.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just going to introduce myself here for when things properly start up.

Finished my first year as a Cambridge non-law student (English) with a 1st/2.i in my exam papers; we didn't get overall marks this year but I've been advised to put down a first as my first year grade. I'm mostly prepped for consulting applications, but my interest in Law has come back recently. I've only been to two law open days on an access programme at Hogan Lovells and Clifford Chance, though I've applied for a non-law one at Weil in September; is it advisable to wait to apply for VS stuff until Law firm events and presentations at my uni in October?
Reply 69
Original post by pp93
Mostly SC and US ones with a couple of international niche ones as well. I had zero interest in magic circle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what were the names of the firms? if you don't mind me asking
Reply 70
Original post by shinao
what were the names of the firms? if you don't mind me asking

KWM, Macfarlanes, HSF and Ashurst, Reed Smith, DLA Piper, Olswang, HFW, WFW, Clyde & Co.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, I want to introduce myself too! Im starting my 2nd yr (law) in september; averaged a 2.2 for first yr :/ We are all in the same boat, most of us are probably reapplying this year and many of us are probably thinking of applying for VCs this November- i want to wish everyone all the best this cycle!
Pls do not be disheartened if you get a rejection, it just means the firm wasn't the right one for you - if you look hard enough, you will find a firm that fits your ethos :wink:
My mentor at DLA Piper told me that applying to VCs is a good way of finding out if the firm is right for you (e.g. atmosphere of the firm, the 'vibe' you get when you're actually there) - its sort of like a two way interview - the firm is looking for potential in you but don't forget you are also interviewing the firm to see if the firm is right for you.
For Slaughter and May, we apparently need to fill out a breakdown of our percentages in each exam module. I can't quite do this as I didn't receive my percentages, just a hint in a feedback sheet as to my class mark. Would I need to send an email to S&M when applications open about this, or would I need to send them a letter from my supervisor or something?
Reply 73
Original post by dlaiden
For Slaughter and May, we apparently need to fill out a breakdown of our percentages in each exam module. I can't quite do this as I didn't receive my percentages, just a hint in a feedback sheet as to my class mark. Would I need to send an email to S&M when applications open about this, or would I need to send them a letter from my supervisor or something?

You will need to give individual module percentages for all law firms you apply to, not just Slaughter and May. Unless someone on here has more experience applying from a non-law background, my suggestion would be to email grad recruitment and ask how they usually require non-law students to declare their grades.
Original post by RG14
You will need to give individual module percentages for all law firms you apply to, not just Slaughter and May. Unless someone on here has more experience applying from a non-law background, my suggestion would be to email grad recruitment and ask how they usually require non-law students to declare their grades.

Damn, I'm super annoyed at my uni now then. Thanks for the heads-up; I'll send them emails and also possibly email my supervisor while I'm at it.
Hey guys. I scored 66 in my first year with 67 in contract, crim and C&A, with 64 in legal foundations, and 62 in advocacy, studying at the university of Exeter. By the time of applications I should have shadowed a partner at Dentons, and attended a Simmons & Simmons open day as my relevant legal work experience. My ambition is for magic circle firms, do you think this is realistic?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sithlord101
Hey guys. I scored 66 in my first year with 67 in contract, crim and C&A, with 64 in legal foundations, and 62 in advocacy, studying at the university of Exeter. By the time of applications I should have shadowed a partner at Dentons, and attended a Simmons & Simmons open day as my relevant legal work experience. My ambition is for magic circle firms, do you think this is realistic?

From what you've written there, there's nothing to suggest that your MC ambition is not realistic. Go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aliakhan
Hi guys, I want to introduce myself too! Im starting my 2nd yr (law) in september; averaged a 2.2 for first yr :/ We are all in the same boat, most of us are probably reapplying this year and many of us are probably thinking of applying for VCs this November- i want to wish everyone all the best this cycle!
Pls do not be disheartened if you get a rejection, it just means the firm wasn't the right one for you - if you look hard enough, you will find a firm that fits your ethos :wink:
My mentor at DLA Piper told me that applying to VCs is a good way of finding out if the firm is right for you (e.g. atmosphere of the firm, the 'vibe' you get when you're actually there) - its sort of like a two way interview - the firm is looking for potential in you but don't forget you are also interviewing the firm to see if the firm is right for you.

Hey, do you have an idea of what sort of firms you'll apply to? I've also averaged with a 2:2 but don't really know what to do anymore, especially since a lot of firms have a cut off point of 2:1.
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Hey, do you have an idea of what sort of firms you'll apply to? I've also averaged with a 2:2 but don't really know what to do anymore, especially since a lot of firms have a cut off point of 2:1.

Hey, I've seen you on a couple of the other threads - nice to see you again :wink: Ahhh, as i said we are all in the same boat - its not unusual to get a 2.2 in your first year - just try not to be disheartened and make sure you aim for a mid 2.1 in your second year grades!
You've got the potential, you just need to be more active i guess.
In terms of firms that I'm looking into, I've already had extensive work exp. at quite a few regional firms, I've also had a few open days in the top London firms - at the moment I'm tethering towards a regional firm because of my first year grades however i haven't lost hope just yet in a couple MC/SC firms namely HG and Travers :wink: I would definitely recommend you to look at the lawyer, legal check and a couple of other websites to get a roundabout view of the law firms your interested in - i wouldn't say its over just yet, you've got a 2.2 but that doesn't mean you can't improve your second year grades to a 2.1/ 1st.
You have to realise its not just your grades that the firms look at, they also look at your extra curriculum activities, part time work, volunteering etc.
Your doing the 'Pathways Plus' scheme too right?
Just a quick question regarding the Clyde and Co. website - it states on their FAQ about work experience that they "look for a solid mix of legal, commercial and general work experience." Would this mean it would be unwise to apply without legal work experience? Or is this a more general statement about the application pool as a whole?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending