The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2016

Hey everyone! Applications for the 2016 vacation schemes are opening soon (well, sort of). The thread last year started around this sort of time, so feel free to use this thread as a platform to ask questions and generally support one another. Best of luck for all of your applications and here's to getting on to some amazing placements!

So to get us started off, I'll be applying to mainly US firms (Weil, Latham & Watkins etc.), and perhaps a few MC and SC firms. Where are you all planning on applying to?

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

What sort of level firm should I be thinking of aiming at for vacation scheme applications? I went to both Mayer Brown and Clifford Chance open days and they were frequently citing a 2:1 in every module as a requirement...

My first year results were:
Tort - 74
EU Constitutional - 67
Contract - 63
Human Rights - 63
Legal Skills - 58
UK Constitutional - 55

so an average of 63.3 or a 2:1

I have landed a summer job in the insurance industry which should benefit my application in terms of commercial awareness and the role also includes some work with trusts and wills. I've noticed, however, that many UK students with myself included have not had access to as much legal work experience or internships as our fellow students from overseas so was also wondering whether we might also be lacking in this area when applying to firms towards the top of the legal sector?
Original post by Selym95
Hey everyone! Applications for the 2016 vacation schemes are opening soon (well, sort of). The thread last year started around this sort of time, so feel free to use this thread as a platform to ask questions and generally support one another. Best of luck for all of your applications and here's to getting on to some amazing placements!

So to get us started off, I'll be applying to mainly US firms (Weil, Latham & Watkins etc.), and perhaps a few MC and SC firms. Where are you all planning on applying to?

Good to join you for another year mate, seems like we've been on the same threads since year 12 haha.

Looking similar to you, planning on going mainly for the US firms, thinking of Latham, Skadden, Weil, Kirkland, Cleary, Shearman - maybe a couple others too. Will also probably apply to the Magic Circle + Hogan Lovells.
Reply 3
Original post by silkysmoothpro
Hi,

What sort of level firm should I be thinking of aiming at for vacation scheme applications? I went to both Mayer Brown and Clifford Chance open days and they were frequently citing a 2:1 in every module as a requirement...

My first year results were:
Tort - 74
EU Constitutional - 67
Contract - 63
Human Rights - 63
Legal Skills - 58
UK Constitutional - 55

so an average of 63.3 or a 2:1

I have landed a summer job in the insurance industry which should benefit my application in terms of commercial awareness and the role also includes some work with trusts and wills. I've noticed, however, that many UK students with myself included have not had access to as much legal work experience or internships as our fellow students from overseas so was also wondering whether we might also be lacking in this area when applying to firms towards the top of the legal sector?

Go for whatever you like I'd say. You're application will have to be at a good quality, however, if you're intending on applying to the US firms, and the MC/SC firms, where module results are focused on more heavily.

Don't worry about the lack of law experience. Was at Weil a few days ago and I heard the same question asked to a partner. Law experience with real value (i.e. not just photocopying and making cups of tea) are few and far between - law firms know that. If you have some; great, but if you don't then other experiences that can be shown to have some value to yourself are entirely sufficient! :smile:
In.

I have one open day (US law firm), got a low 2.1 in my first year (law at Cambridge), strong A levels and GCSEs - what kind of firms should I be looking at (I'm assuming my low 2.1 rules out US/MC)?

Thanks.
Original post by Law-Hopeful
In.

I have one open day (US law firm), got a low 2.1 in my first year (law at Cambridge), strong A levels and GCSEs - what kind of firms should I be looking at (I'm assuming my low 2.1 rules out US/MC)?

Thanks.

low 2.1 from Cambridge is fine for almost anywhere except maybe Slaughters. Grades are only one part of the equation, but Oxbridge gives you an edge, all other things being equal.

I got a low 2.1 (non - Oxbridge) and got VS offers from MC/US/SC and ballsed up a host of other interviews in the process.
Original post by liarpoker
low 2.1 from Cambridge is fine for almost anywhere except maybe Slaughters. Grades are only one part of the equation, but Oxbridge gives you an edge, all other things being equal.

I got a low 2.1 (non - Oxbridge) and got VS offers from MC/US/SC and ballsed up a host of other interviews in the process.

That's impressive, did you do any first year schemes?
Another thing:

How many applications are people thinking of making?

The careers service at my uni said maybe 6-9 at most, with anything over 12 being a bit too much.
Reply 8
Original post by Unsworth
Good to join you for another year mate, seems like we've been on the same threads since year 12 haha.

Looking similar to you, planning on going mainly for the US firms, thinking of Latham, Skadden, Weil, Kirkland, Cleary, Shearman - maybe a couple others too. Will also probably apply to the Magic Circle + Hogan Lovells.

Evening bud. Haha, tell me about it! Sounds good, pretty apprehensive about aiming mainly at the US firms, but they've got to take someone, right?! :laugh:
Reply 9
Another thing:

The careers service at my uni said maybe 6-9 at most, with anything over 12 being a bit too much.

Very unsure, really. But I think that's about the consensus. The sentiment of quality over quantity is what is conveyed a lot, in particular for Law applications as opposed to Banking and the like.
Original post by Selym95
Very unsure, really. But I think that's about the consensus. The sentiment of quality over quantity is what is conveyed a lot, in particular for Law applications as opposed to Banking and the like.

I was thinking around 8 might be sensible.

It also doesn't help that many of them interview just after term starts in January and London isn't exactly within day-trip range of my uni.
Another thing:

I think it depends on your profile. If you're the strong 2.1 from Oxbridge with good extra curricular and so on, 6-9 is a good figure. If you don't fit that bill, then you should cast your net wider. I think for someone with a 2.1 from a strong university, (top 15) you should make as many as you can. If you were to apply to 5 MC, 5 SC, 5 US, that's already 15. There's at least 20-25 top tier law firms in the City.

A lot of it boils down to pot luck, some of my interviews came from applications, which I spent 30-45 minutes on.I also got swiftly rejected from some firms, after spending days on the application.

Original post by Law-Hopeful
That's impressive, did you do any first year schemes?

No, they do help though, especially for those whose first year marks aren't great.
Original post by Selym95
Evening bud. Haha, tell me about it! Sounds good, pretty apprehensive about aiming mainly at the US firms, but they've got to take someone, right?! :laugh:

Yeah me too but I'd rather do say two vac schemes at those kind of firms then a few at firms I'm not so interested in - hopefully the risk pays off!

Only firms I'm personally ruling out are Slaughters, Davis Polk and Sull Crom, low 2:1 in first year with a couple high 2:2 modules in there so no chance I'd say - still game for anything else though.
Figured I'd check into this thread.

Not sure exactly which firms or what approach I will be taking yet. I was wondering if anyone might be able to provide some sort of advice.

Got a low-ish 2.1 overall from UCL first year, extra curriculars are pretty good (I think..) and similar with jobs and legal work experience. I didn't really do any proper first year schemes though which might be a (small) disadvantage too?

Any firms I should rule out from the outset? Was thinking of not bothering with places like Slaughters which supposedly place a lot of emphasis on strong academics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liarpoker

No, they do help though, especially for those whose first year marks aren't great.

How do you think you got MC/US VSs with a low 2.1 and no first year schemes?
I'm thinking of applying to one or two magics but I'm unsure whether one of my modules will pull me back. I got 58% in a public law module but averaged a solid 2.1 overall (67%) from a RG uni. I have pretty good extra-curriculars and two in-house legal experience weeks this summer! I'm applying to other firms too but wondered if its worth me applying to any magics. What do you guys think?
Another thing:

I'm thinking around 10! Maybe 12 if I can find the time to do them well enough.
Original post by lawstudent44
I'm thinking of applying to one or two magics but I'm unsure whether one of my modules will pull me back. I got 58% in a public law module but averaged a solid 2.1 overall (67%) from a RG uni. I have pretty good extra-curriculars and two in-house legal experience weeks this summer! I'm applying to other firms too but wondered if its worth me applying to any magics. What do you guys think?

You should definitely be applying to MC firms with that.A 67% average would put you in the top 12 out of 200 in my year at a top Russel Group uni and with some work experience and extra-curriculars you can relate back to law then you should be able to make a strong application.Just have a constructive answer as to why you think you got 58% in that module and say how you hope to improve.
Slaughters seems to be coming up a bit here. Remember it's a really quick a application, so always worth chancing your arm if you might fancy it. They do, however, place a lot of emphasis on academics and it would be an outside shot if those aren't top drawer. Plus, it's an acquired taste.

For those aiming for US, make sure you know the firm's London work inside out. Many of those mentioned have small offices with a relatively narrow focus, you need to be able to explain why you've already settled on that kind of work, rather than going to the MC and getting a chance to try out a broader range of both services and sectors (before moving at associate to a US firm which suits your interests). Plus make clear you're up for the beasting, be that coming back from holiday, working big hours or, as one of our now junior partners did, rearranging your own wedding.

Also, not sure how true this is, but for anyone fancying the ultimate challenge, I heard rumour Cravath may offer a TC this year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Thinking about the Magic Circle firms, along with 4-5 US firms and Clyde & Co's Dubai vac scheme.
Got a lowish mid 2.1 from Bristol, have some extracurriculars and did two first year spring schemes so hoping that it goes okay.

Ideally, how many vacation schemes is everyone thinking of doing?

Quick Reply

Latest