The Student Room Group

Have you done Classical Civilisation?

If so I would really appreciate if I could ask a few questions about it?

For example, good books to read and things to do to get ready, what the course is about and your personal experiences?
Are you about to start this course at A-Level? If so, I'd suggest finding out from your school/college what the modules are that you're going to be studying. The exam boards for this subject have reading lists on their website with useful things to read, but if you're going to be doing anything involving Classical literature, then reading that is going to be the best place to start.
Reply 2
I have, well my first year, I am hoping to go on to A2 depending on results! As for reading any good books, I would say look at what your school/college course and seeing what books are on their spec. I was with AQA so I studied 3 comic plays by Aristophanes and one epic, The Iliad by Homer. If you want to ask any questions though I'd be happy to answer them!
Well, in the course this year we covered:

-Greek gods/sacrifice and beliefs (this includes the story of the Minotaur)

-Sparta and the upbringing of boys in a Spartan society

-Alexander the Great

I would suggest reading the Odyssey outside of class, as it's a well known Homer.
Also 'Sophie's World' is a great book, it is the history of Philosophy.
If you enjoy the Sophie's World, I would give Plato's symposium a read.

Hope this helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I did Greek tragedy and the Odyssey for AS Level and The Aeneid and Art and Architecture for A Level. The books that you'll need are largely dependant on your modules, but reading the Iliad or Odyssey would probably be a useful introduction to classical writing regardless of your module choices.
The Metamorphosis by Ovid or Hesiod's Theogony cover Greek and Roman mythology, in case you're having trouble with any references that come up, but that might be overkill.

I found it one of the more interesting A Levels, although that's probably just personal preference. Based on my classmates' reactions to it, I think it's a lot more engrossing that people initially expect (lots of people who chose it as a fourth AS Level and planned to drop it for A Levels changed their minds and carried on, and one of them even considered doing a degree in it)
Reply 5
Original post by rhi1611
I have, well my first year, I am hoping to go on to A2 depending on results! As for reading any good books, I would say look at what your school/college course and seeing what books are on their spec. I was with AQA so I studied 3 comic plays by Aristophanes and one epic, The Iliad by Homer. If you want to ask any questions though I'd be happy to answer them!

how did you revise for this, I'm doing the exact same books and my exams tomorrow!
Reply 6
Original post by kkaush9
how did you revise for this, I'm doing the exact same books and my exams tomorrow!

Honestly, the plays I found a little difficult to revise for. However, I read the texts a copy times to make sure I knew it fairly well, and practised a lot of past papers. However, you could look at points for themes such as food, clothing, war and peace, satire and have a good understanding.

For the Iliad, creating character summaries and characteristics, plot overview to make sure you know what happens in each book. Themes, so war, honour, rage, women, fate and divine intervention ect.

Of course this is just what I found useful. I wish you the best of luck with your exam!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending