The Student Room Group

Investment Banking from Law Degree

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ibzombie96
Yeah the MBA route is good as well

People do still transfer as partners in MC/BigLaw to investment banks. When I say small investment banks, I'm not talking piddly little things - boutique investment banks are only small on a relative scale, and can often pay the most senior guys more than top equity partners at top law firms.

id probably say from the get go, i.e analyst/associate onwards, boutiques are higher, bonus most defo, relative to bbs. i guess more room to negotiate and form contracts because intake is so small, pretty cool actually, lot more autonomy.
Reply 21
Yeah I know KCL do that as well! I want to move to the States mainly because we're always on holiday there and I much prefer it to the UK haha. I'm from Cheshire and I'd be hoping to move to California I suppose- OC area.
Reply 22
Original post by Adipoptosis
Well look, I think you can move into investment banking at two stages.

If you do Law at university and you're at a good university, you can apply for analyst internships and get an offer for a proper analyst position for when you graduate. If you're at a target university, this is easily possible. There is no real degree that is perfect for IB. My friends studying medicine managed to get a summer analyst IB internship from Oxford. Many people do it when studying Law.

The other way to do it is to start working as a lawyer and then use a 2 year MBA program to move into finance. If you got an MBA from somewhere like London Business School or INSEAD (in Paris) then you'd have a good chance of moving into IB as an associate (higher than an analyst). This is more expensive and wastes a little more time but it means you can work within Law for a while before you move into IB.

I think you need to understand its more important where you study and how you do while you're there, rather than what you study.

I get what you're saying however, I know that at the end of the day, I am going to do well whilst I am there because that's the type of person I am. Where I study is important but if I want to go onto do a Masters somewhere more prestigious, that is more significant than where I do under-grad.
It's worked for everyone in my family so far so I don't lack hope in that opportunity.
Original post by person3867
I get what you're saying however, I know that at the end of the day, I am going to do well whilst I am there because that's the type of person I am. Where I study is important but if I want to go onto do a Masters somewhere more prestigious, that is more significant than where I do under-grad.
It's worked for everyone in my family so far so I don't lack hope in that opportunity.

Why would you not apply to LSE/UCL/Warwick/Oxbridge?

Where you do undergrad is important...

If not for anything, for the kind of people you're going to be around for 3 years.
go to a target > apply straight to banking, if that's ur aim
Doing Law really shouldn't hold you back from applying to investment banks. So long as your application is good, you have a good answer for why you're studying law but interested in IB instead and have good commercial/banking knowledge you will be in just as good a position as anyone else studying a finance related course. There were two of us on my GS spring week who study Law and I met with an analyst in IBD who did Law also - she didn't have to do anything differently because of her degree.

I'd definitely suggest you choosing a different uni to Leeds however, with your grades you should be applying to the likes of Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Durham/Bristol/Warwick.
I'd echo Magnus Taylor's question. If you do a law degree at one of the IB target universities (Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Warwick, UCL), you may be able to transfer. However, you've applied (If I can remember correctly - I can't see your post right here) to non-targets. It will be even more difficult for an IB recruiter to see a non-target lawyer as a potential IBD employee. I was speaking to a senior associate at a mid-cap PE firm the other day and he told me that it was unusual for a person with a law degree to be employed in a capacity that doesn't utilise their legal knowledge.

I've just spoken to dad, who, before he retired a couple of years ago, was an MD at a large investment bank. He told me your best shot is to get into a Magic/Silver circle law firm (maybe BigLaw if you want to go to America as well?), get into the corporate M&A department and then, after a number of years - hopefully getting somewhere near partner - transferring to a slightly smaller boutique investment bank where you can join as a senior member and so be able to do some more of the dealmaking.

Nah mate. Notts is strong for placement into law firms and is a semi-target for banking. The rest are non-targets and don't do nearly as well for law.

You can get into banking pretty easily OP, just target your path accordingly. Banking doesn't have any prerequisite degrees (barring the Algo Trading/Quant desks) so garnering some solid work experience and extra curricular activities on your CV would put you in a fairly good position.

I'd replace most of those unis with the likes of: Warwick, Bristol, maybe Oxbridge and LSE/UCL, Birmingham, Durham and Edinburgh. That would give you a nice mix of target and semi-target unis - if you keep Notts on there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
I suppose aha- it's a lot more interesting too I suppose. And I may get good grades and that but I'm really not an Oxbridge person- I spend my weekends at pop punk/metal gigs etc and left my private school out of hatred- Oxbridge is my idea of hell solely based on the majority of people that fit well to the stereotype there :')
Reply 28
Original post by Unsworth
Doing Law really shouldn't hold you back from applying to investment banks. So long as your application is good, you have a good answer for why you're studying law but interested in IB instead and have good commercial/banking knowledge you will be in just as good a position as anyone else studying a finance related course. There were two of us on my GS spring week who study Law and I met with an analyst in IBD who did Law also - she didn't have to do anything differently because of her degree.

I'd definitely suggest you choosing a different uni to Leeds however, with your grades you should be applying to the likes of Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Durham/Bristol/Warwick.

The thing is, I completely understand what you're saying but the likes of Oxbridge, London uni's, etc. they just don't appeal to me :') The only one of those I'd consider is Warwick & this may be my issue ahaha
Reply 29
Original post by Adipoptosis
Why would you not apply to LSE/UCL/Warwick/Oxbridge?

Where you do undergrad is important...

If not for anything, for the kind of people you're going to be around for 3 years.

I replied to this somewhere else I think but it was to you aha- I accidentally answered the question!! It's on this thread somewhere

Sorry it's stressing me out aha I just can't find the right place
Reply 30
I suppose aha- it's a lot more interesting too I suppose. And I may get good grades and that but I'm really not an Oxbridge person- I spend my weekends at pop punk/metal gigs etc and left my private school out of hatred- Oxbridge is my idea of hell solely based on the majority of people that fit well to the stereotype there :':wink:

Wont like IB much then.
I'd echo Magnus Taylor's question. If you do a law degree at one of the IB target universities (Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Warwick, UCL), you may be able to transfer. However, you've applied (If I can remember correctly - I can't see your post right here) to non-targets. It will be even more difficult for an IB recruiter to see a non-target lawyer as a potential IBD employee. I was speaking to a senior associate at a mid-cap PE firm the other day and he told me that it was unusual for a person with a law degree to be employed in a capacity that doesn't utilise their legal knowledge.

I've just spoken to dad, who, before he retired a couple of years ago, was an MD at a large investment bank. He told me your best shot is to get into a Magic/Silver circle law firm (maybe BigLaw if you want to go to America as well?), get into the corporate M&A department and then, after a number of years - hopefully getting somewhere near partner - transferring to a slightly smaller boutique investment bank where you can join as a senior member and so be able to do some more of the dealmaking.

Hmm. The lack of lawyers outside these positions doesn't necessarily indicate unwillingness by the banks to hire law grads for those positions. Apart from anything else, most law grads (in my experience) can't deal with numbers to save their lives. It's a matter of having the skills necessary for IB. I know more than one law grad who subsequently went to BB banks.
The thing is, I completely understand what you're saying but the likes of Oxbridge, London uni's, etc. they just don't appeal to me :') The only one of those I'd consider is Warwick & this may be my issue ahaha

You need to be aware that you're cutting yourself off from IB opportunities by not applying to target universities, if you have reasonable prospects of getting into them. It depends on whether you value the university experience more than getting into IB early on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending