The Student Room Group

Can I still/should I bother applying for Law at Oxford?

So my situation is that I started this year (year 12) with four AS subjects: history, sociology, biology and chemistry.
I suffer from great anxiety and get panic attacks and it got really bad just before exams to the point where I almost resorted to self harm. Because of this, I withdrew from Biology AS and did the first chem exam but did not attend the second exam. I explained the situation to my school and am planning on carrying on with my 2 AS' in history and sociology to A2 next year. I am going to take up a new A level in Religious Studies next year and complete both AS and A2 in one year so that I'm able to have 3 A levels to apply for uni.
My school has said that despite not doing the AS in RE yet, they will still predict me 3 grades so that should okay. I have spoken to King's College London about this and they have said it's okay as long as I have 3 predicted grades.
How do you think Oxford will feel about this? My chemistry AS i wanted to withdraw from but wasn't allowed so had to do 1 exam but I'll get a U nonetheless so I don't want to include it in UCAS.
I am positive I will be predicted AAA for the subjects I am actually doing and I think I can achieve an A* in history for example. I have 8A*s and 2As at GCSE.
Is my situation too complicated, what with only having 2 AS's - shall I bother applying to Oxford for Law? Maybe they won't like this, idk?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.
Just try it, even if you don't get in, at least you can say to yourself that you've tried. Work hard and do the best you can, good luck for A2. :smile:
Reply 2
Wait for results first. But....

Original post by OkashiAddict

I suffer from great anxiety and get panic attacks

Not sure how you are going to cope with law finals if this is exam related.
Original post by OkashiAddict
So my situation is that I started this year (year 12) with four AS subjects: history, sociology, biology and chemistry.
I suffer from great anxiety and get panic attacks and it got really bad just before exams to the point where I almost resorted to self harm. Because of this, I withdrew from Biology AS and did the first chem exam but did not attend the second exam. I explained the situation to my school and am planning on carrying on with my 2 AS' in history and sociology to A2 next year. I am going to take up a new A level in Religious Studies next year and complete both AS and A2 in one year so that I'm able to have 3 A levels to apply for uni.
My school has said that despite not doing the AS in RE yet, they will still predict me 3 grades so that should okay. I have spoken to King's College London about this and they have said it's okay as long as I have 3 predicted grades.
How do you think Oxford will feel about this? My chemistry AS i wanted to withdraw from but wasn't allowed so had to do 1 exam but I'll get a U nonetheless so I don't want to include it in UCAS.
I am positive I will be predicted AAA for the subjects I am actually doing and I think I can achieve an A* in history for example. I have 8A*s and 2As at GCSE.
Is my situation too complicated, what with only having 2 AS's - shall I bother applying to Oxford for Law? Maybe they won't like this, idk?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

I would suggest contacting Oxford Admissions (and any college you specifically have in mind) regarding your circumstances. They will take your anxiety into account, and your GCSEs are strong.

That said, like boffdude, I have my reservations as to whether Oxford would be a good choice for you if your anxiety is related to exam stress. Law Finals, where you sit 9 papers over 2 weeks, 6 of them back to back, is extremely stressful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending