The Student Room Group

AS chemistry mod 3....aaaaaargh!

Okies....mod 3 is driving me totally insane. Can somebody please tell me if i've managed to come anywhere near the right answer with this question...

Give the stuctural formulae of the two alkenes obtained when 2-bromo-2-methylbutane reacts with ethanolic potassium hydroxide. Deduce the names of the two products.
I figured it was an elimination and ended up with

1) CH3CCH3=CHCH3
2-methylbut-2-ene

2) CH2=CCH3CH2CH3
2-methylbut-1-ene

is this at all correct in any way?!...also if it is, can't u get cis-trans isomerism on the 1st one?
Reply 1
please please please somebody help!!
Reply 2
Happyelf
Okies....mod 3 is driving me totally insane. Can somebody please tell me if i've managed to come anywhere near the right answer with this question...

Give the stuctural formulae of the two alkenes obtained when 2-bromo-2-methylbutane reacts with ethanolic potassium hydroxide. Deduce the names of the two products.

1) CH3CCH3=CHCH3
2-methylbut-2-ene

2) CH2=CCH3CH2CH3
2-methylbut-1-ene

is this at all correct in any way?!...also if it is, can't u get cis-trans isomerism on the 1st one?

Basically, all the bromine atoms are being eliminated and you get the alkenes back.

er... i'm not sure of the cis-trans one... cant be bothered to draw it out... but just look at it if it could be different due to the restriction of rotation about the double carbon-carbon bond...
Reply 3
im willing to answer other questions but not draw things plz lol.
Reply 4
okies...so is that right what i have done then (ignoring the cis-trans thing)
Happyelf
okies...so is that right what i have done then (ignoring the cis-trans thing)

there's no cis and trans isomerism.
Reply 6
is the first bit right tho?
Reply 7
I got 2-methylbut-3-ene
Reply 8
imasillynarb
I got 2-methylbut-3-ene

u can't get but-3-ene....cos u have to number the functional group with the lowest number possible. if u turn the molecule round it will be the same as but-1-ene or but-2-ene i think. can't be bothered drawing it
Reply 9
Happyelf

1) CH3CCH3=CHCH3
2-methylbut-2-ene

2) CH2=CCH3CH2CH3
2-methylbut-1-ene

I get 2-methylbut-1-ene and 2-methylbut-2-ene but I am guarantying that I am right.

Latest

Trending

Trending