The Student Room Group

16 year olds getting taxed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarrenBCFC
http://taxaid.org.uk/guides/taxpayers/tax-for-employees/understanding-your-tax-code

This will be an helpful site for you they should not have took anything to start with. Your best bet will be to ring HMRC

thankyou :smile: <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MasieA
Is a 16 year olds living in the UK and earning £3.79 per hour supposed to be getting taxed for about 30% of their earnings? Doesn't sound right at all to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you shouldnt be getting taxed because you earn below £10,600 a year.
phone the tax office (you should be able to find the number by doing a quick google search) and you should get your money back you are owed, usually next payday.
Original post by Jimmyforeal
LOOL £3.79? how is this possible? wasn't minimum wage like £6 aleast?

I think you will find that the minimum wage for 16/17 year olds is £3.79.
Its only £6.50 for over 21's.
https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm currently earning £4/hr (disgusting, I know), and I haven't paid a penny of tax. I have sometimes worked over 40hrs in a week.

You have to be earning above a certain threshold to have to pay tax.
Reply 44
So update: I rang HMRC and the automatic voice said that if I am calling to be refunded on tax, I don't need to because I will be refunded anyways, and they also kept me on hold for a really long time so I didn't get to speak to an actual person. Also, I also my manager for a payslip and he says that they don't give out payslips and they are accessed online, and that I should have gotten an email from the company that tells me how to access it, but I checked and I haven't gotten anything. If I did get taxed, should I wait until my next paycheck which is at the end of next week to see if I get refunded, or would it be too late for anything? Honestly, the money is rightfully mine and I earned it, so I feel like I'm getting exploited here if I don't receive it soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MasieA
So update: I rang HMRC and the automatic voice said that if I am calling to be refunded on tax, I don't need to because I will be refunded anyways, and they also kept me on hold for a really long time so I didn't get to speak to an actual person. Also, I also my manager for a payslip and he says that they don't give out payslips and they are accessed online, and that I should have gotten an email from the company that tells me how to access it, but I checked and I haven't gotten anything. If I did get taxed, should I wait until my next paycheck which is at the end of next week to see if I get refunded, or would it be too late for anything? Honestly, the money is rightfully mine and I earned it, so I feel like I'm getting exploited here if I don't receive it soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will definitely get it back, it may just take time. Make sure your manager has you on the correct tax band and you'll be fine.

What it will probably mean is that some point next spring you'll get a cheque in the post as a pleasant surprise.
Rubbish. I'm a supply teacher working 3-4 days a week and I don't get taxed until I hit the tax threshold.
Reply 47
ffs

Another update: I've received my second paycheck and have gotten underpaid AGAIN. Could this still be the emergency tax thing considering this is my second pay? It's becoming a joke now considering the little I already get paid and to think they would collect from that?? I of course will speak to my manager tomorrow I'm just fed up of feeling like something always has to go wrong. If it happens to be me getting underpaid, my card that I use to clock in and out can rightfully prove the number of hours I've worked and should be getting paid right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by MasieA
ffs

Another update: I've received my second paycheck and have gotten underpaid AGAIN. Could this still be the emergency tax thing considering this is my second pay? It's becoming a joke now considering the little I already get paid and to think they would collect from that?? I of course will speak to my manager tomorrow I'm just fed up of feeling like something always has to go wrong. If it happens to be me getting underpaid, my card that I use to clock in and out can rightfully prove the number of hours I've worked and should be getting paid right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

if its tax, you are unlucky and may not receive the money until next tax year, around june time as this is when they do the rebates. inform the manager to change the tax code though so they wont charge you afterwards

Quick Reply