The Student Room Group

Giving Blood? Yay or Nay?

Scroll to see replies

Can't /don't want to. I.don't.like.needles.inside.me. I feel like fainting and really really Hysterical.e.e
Original post by RiahDawson
Can't /don't want to. I.don't.like.needles.inside.me. I feel like fainting and really really Hysterical.e.e

Fair enough. No point giving blood if you're not a fan of needles! :P
If you don't mind me asking though, where do you believe your phobia/dislike of needles comes from? It's quite common, but I just don't understand what triggers it or why so many people share the fear?
Original post by LamantChenille
Fair enough. No point giving blood if you're not a fan of needles! :P
If you don't mind me asking though, where do you believe your phobia/dislike of needles comes from? It's quite common, but I just don't understand what triggers it or why so many people share the fear?

I don't know. Ever since i was little i had to be persuaded by teddies and toys to have a blood test. It feels so uncomfortable when they put the arm band thing around your arm and I feel like I'm going to die/theyre going to take too much/the needle will hurt me. It also takes forever for them to slowly suck up the blood o_o and i feel like telling them to"TAKE IT OUT". It's not like i know anyone it went wrong with or watched one too many horror movies. It's just something i was terrified of since i was little. Like some people are afraid of heights or talking infront of audiences.
Original post by LamantChenille
The finger prick test is so the most painful bit, no? It definitely hurts me way more than the actual blood giving. Also, free biscuits. how could I forget to mention the free biscuits! :P

Absolutely, and then there's the terror as you watch your tiny speck of blood and pray it sinks to the bottom and you're not anaemic! The finger prick was basically more traumatic than losing 480ml of blood from a massive needle in my arm :wink:

But the free biscuits make up for it all!
Original post by PobNotBob
I don't feel its right to take and not give back. I've never needed blood but I might one day.

It's a shame that you can't give blood after having a blood transfusion. I would be giving blood all the time.
Nope we need population control. :colone:
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
It's a shame that you can't give blood after having a blood transfusion. I would be giving blood all the time.

You can't, if you give too much you run the risk of your own medical problems. Think you can do it like every 6months
Original post by cbreef
You can't, if you give too much you run the risk of your own medical problems. Think you can do it like every 6months

Well yeah obviously you can't do it all the time :rolleyes:. I didn't mean it literally.
I'd like to, but my veins are very deep, and every time I've had blood tests it's taken several tries for them to find one. It's a very unpleasant experience for me.
They're actually really, really strict about your own well-being if you try to donate - almost annoyingly so at times, although understandable! I fainted on the way home hours after my last donation (only due to being on a long, crowded bus ride - that makes me faint anyway sometimes!), and because they ask you to notify them if you do pass out or anything afterward, I did and they put me through to a doctor who 'banned' me even from sessions nearer my house until I haven't fainted for at least a year :lol:
I give blood. I gotta be honest, I only started to find out my blood type.
I'd love to give blood but can't because of ulcerative colitis, making me permanently exempt. :frown:
I got a letter from NHS BT at the age of 17, it guilt tripped me into it. I've donated 11 times so far - 12th time next month. It is so worth it and you get free biscuits & coffee too!

Sent from my HUAWEI Y550-L01 using Tapatalk
I would give blood, however I have low hemoglobin levels and therefore can't.
I do when i can.
Currently i'm exempt for 12 months due to low haemoglobin (iron) levels which prevent me donating.

I give blood to help those who need it (including my mum who without a blood transfusion probably wouldn't be here) and as a student children's nurse i want to help the children i see every day who need such an important gift.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I regularly give blood because blood stocks from ethnic minority donors are really low and I wouldn't hesitate to take the blood if I needed it, so why not give it!

Also, my blood has a rare subtype that is found in a lot of sickle cell patients (I don't have it), which means my blood would be a closer match for sickle cell sufferers who need regular transfusions :biggrin:
Original post by cbreef

If you're a normal human being, it's every four months for women and every three months for men. :smile:
I give blood regularly but I haven't for a while because it's difficult to get appointments locally now. They only come three times a year for 2 days, and I've been busy the last couple of times.
I don't let trainees do me now because my veins are so hard to find, I usually end up having to have the most senior person there struggle for a while anyway! It doesn't help that it's often in a freezing cold room so my veins try to hide!!
Original post by Katie_p
I give blood regularly but I haven't for a while because it's difficult to get appointments locally now. They only come three times a year for 2 days, and I've been busy the last couple of times.
I don't let trainees do me now because my veins are so hard to find, I usually end up having to have the most senior person there struggle for a while anyway! It doesn't help that it's often in a freezing cold room so my veins try to hide!!

Ah, I didn't realise most places don't have permanent centres. Where I live in London, there's a centre that's open every Monday to Friday from 8am-7pm, which makes it so convenient. It must be much harder to fit it in elsewhere if it isn't a permanent thing.
Original post by OU Student
Not allowed :frown:

Original post by Mad Vlad
I can't because I have the gay.

Also not allowed but the Government LIES about my medical condition and exactly why i'm not allowed. So no blood from me.

Also I too have the bi so my blood is double lethal.

Count yourselves lucky these wonderful people are protecting you from my taunted blood.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest