The Student Room Group

Driving test tips and why did you fail your test?

I have my driving test coming up on Thursday, and I had 39 lessons with a normal driving instructor and around 40+ hours inmy own car. I feel quite confident about my driving but I'm still scared that I will fail on the day.
What are some good tips that you people could give me in order to pass my test?
I was also wondering what are some of the reasons why you failed your test? I figured, if I learn from other people's misakes I may not do them myself.
Failed two tests before passing, did about 30 hours of lessons with no outside practice.

First test fail I still don't agree with - I was waiting to pull out of a side road; there was a lorry pulled up on the side making a delivery, not sitting behind the wheel so clearly going nowhere; another guy pulled up behind him and stopped, didn't turn the engine off or anything but was just sitting there for about 10 seconds; I tried to make eye contact for him to give me the nod to pull out but it wasn't happening, he seemed to be miles away; I waited another five seconds before deciding he wasn't going to move and so pulled out, keeping an eye on him and he indeed didn't move. The examiner still failed me for pulling out because I didn't have right of way! I guess as my instructor said afterwards, it's better to get a minor for undue hesitation than a major for being too aggressive, but I'm just unsure what I could have done there. We could have potentially been sitting there forever and I had a couple of cars starting to queue behind me. Ah well...

Second test I just screwed up; I went round a blind bend, switching from 1st into 2nd as I went round... or so I thought. I actually switched into 4th, brought the clutch up, felt weird... then before I had time to think about it I came around the corner and a car filled the gap so we both had to brake. I started braking but slowed down much slower than I thought I would as I was in 4th rather than 2nd and so ended up stopping dangerously close to the car in front of me that had filled the gap, for which the examiner rightly failed me. Unfortunate timing to have a slip-up with the gears but I should have recognised my error more quickly and should have had the clutch back down to start changing to a lower gear when I met the car in the tight gap anyway, which then would have seen me stopping much more quickly.

Only other advise I can give is just stay calm, remember what you've been taught and if you do fail, see it as a learning experience and make sure you identify your mistakes so you can work on eliminating them from your driving where possible. As I said, it took me three times to pass, but over the space of all three tests I never made the same mistake twice.
If you are confident you should be ok - why are you worrying?

You can 1) worry about it and take the test or 2) not worry about it and take the test - which option do you think is best?

If you think there is some aspect of your driving or highway code knowledge that you could be better at that is a different matter - identify the problem and work on it.
Reply 3
Not actually a student, but i read quite a few pass and fail stories on here while learning to drive, so I've registered to pay back a little of that help:

First time I'd booked the test several weeks earlier, but when the time came still wasn't expecting to pass. Decided to take it anyway though, as a 'practice test' if you like. Was a bit nervous, but as I was assuming it was a fail anyway, more relaxed than I would have been otherwise. Actually ended up with only one major, on reversing round a corner (my weakest maneuver at the time, and I was WAY over the other side of the road) and a couple of minors. I'd done things I'd assumed would have been majors which didn't show up, and I was surprised and pleased to only fail on one thing. Examiner that time was very friendly and relaxed.

Luckily managed to book a cancelation for a couple of weeks later, but my regular instructor wasn't available. Switched to another guy and did I think 9 hours of extra lessons before taking the test. Found the new car a lot easier to stall, but liked the instructor a bit better. This test was a complete nightmare though. Examiner had a completely different attitude, and while she was fair she just gave the impression of having better things to do, and that she was looking for reasons to fail you, rather than pass you. I also made a daft mistake right at the start which I should have let go, but put me in a foul mood. Here's how it went.

*random beeping noise I've never heard before just after we pull out from a junction*
Me, looking around frantically and assuming it must be the instructor's sat nav running out of battery or something: I've no idea what that sound is, sorry...
Examiner, with an eye roll: I think you'll find your handbrake's still on.

I got myself all annoyed about that, it affected my driving, stalled a few times, and generally felt rubbish. My actual major fault that failed me was at a busy roundabout - I'd missed (or thought I had) a couple of opportunities to go, and then took one I shouldn't have. Dual controls were used, fair cop, I've failed. There was another one close to the test center where she pushed the wheel to move us away from a parked car, but to be honest I'm not sure that was necessary and my instructor, who was watching us come past at that point, said he hadn't seen a problem. But anyway, had failed earlier, so no worries. The mistake with the handbrake early on was only a minor - if I'd been able to let that go and stay calm I might have passed.

Third time, another quick cancellation fortunately (I don't mind failing, it's the risk of an 8 week wait I hated). Examiner from the first test again, was very pleased to see him, lovely bloke. Still felt a bit nervous, but stayed calm enough to avoid any daft mistakes - almost tried to move off in second but caught myself, that kind of thing. Picked up three minors for speed, one for nudging the kerb on reverse park, and one for going through a pedestrian crossing at amber - whoever pressed the button had already left, might have been a major if they'd have been stood there I guess. No other majors, job done, never have to do it again.

General advice I'd give -
1) Get used to driving without feedback. My instructors were constantly giving it 'good.... little bit fast there.... could have been closer to the kerb just then.... excellent....' For at least a few hours prior to the test, tell 'em to shut up and let you drive. I found even after simple junctions and so on, things I can do in my sleep, I was missing that feedback and wondering if I'd done it right or not. That meant I wasn't concentrating on what was coming up.
2) Do at least two mock tests with your examiner, and tell 'em you want them to be tough - hardest test route they can think of, your weakest maneuver (or do all three), giving you directions later than usual, sounding pissed off. Harder the mocks are, easier the test'll seem.
3) You've got to stay calm and focused. Unfriendly examiners, someone cutting you up, making a mistake at a junction - got to be like water off a duck's back. Maybe walk in telling yourself you're going to fail, you're just going to try not to fail too badly.
4) Know your roads back to front. I could draw you maps of our local dual carriageway spiral roundabouts that would rival the AA Road Atlas. Know where the bus lanes, the yellow boxes, are. I used to track driving lessons on my phone and then use that to go and check out places I'd made mistakes on Google Earth.
Reply 4
Wouldn't suggest going with the mentality of failing regardless, the other points are valid though, especially the mocks and knowing the roads.

I passed 2nd time but I knew the routes and was checking lanes etc on Google Maps on roundabouts I wasn't sure on. I know people that were driving all over the place which is alright and good for learning, but your learning to pass a test so stick to your test location if you're going out practicing.

I'd also pray you get a nice examiner, my first was a cow and sighed everytime I got a minor. It really threw me off and by the end of the test, I didn't care that so much that I failed, it was more to do with being stressed.
Original post by marac
I have my driving test coming up on Thursday, and I had 39 lessons with a normal driving instructor and around 40+ hours inmy own car. I feel quite confident about my driving but I'm still scared that I will fail on the day.
I was also wondering what are some of the reasons why you failed your test? I figured, if I learn from other people's misakes I may not do them myself.

One of the main causes for failing a test is thinking negative, having bad thoughts for example: "what if failed my test", " Is the examiner going to check my every error?" etc.
Secondly, You might have not buckled up you seat belt. try to make sure that you are seated comfortably, try adjusting your seat to your prefer-ability. Make sure you feel comfortable with the Examiner, try talking to him before the test about what you are gonna get tested for.
Thirdly: Don't get over anxious, its the main cause for you to loose attention from your test, you should keep shifting your gaze, look around on the road for people, speed limits, have good sense when to shift gears, listening to examiner directions is really important.
Finally, drive like you have been driving for decades, don't worry if made a minor mistake, you just have keep it flowing smoothly. All the best!
Reply 6
Original post by marac

stay calm, if you panic you will make a stupid mistake.
I failed my first test as I was so nervous i checked my mirrors in the wrong order ( right, middle, left) so consequently ended up indicating with it not looking like I'd checked.Some hesitations at roundabouts. Some class amber lights as red so i went through one and got a major for it and i got a bit too close to a van on the duel carriage way so got a major for that.
basically stay calm and try your best
I failed for the second time again coz i couldn't do the two maneuvers parallel parking and reverse to the corner. My first test I did all maneuvers perfectly not even a single minor. I just couldn't concentrate today coz I lose my grandad yesterday and feeling heavy inside:frown: I'll try again
I'm a driving instructor and have put a lot of people in for their driving test.
With the amount of lessons you have had and private practice you shouldn't really need to get nervous, I mean the worst case scenario is that you don't pass so then you just do it again.
They know you are not an amazing driver because you are a learner and the examiners expectations really aren't that high.
The objective is to get around the testroute legally and saftley and try to get back in piece.
If you fail rebook straight away don't worry if its in a few weeks get more practice get more confident go for it again.
Reply 9
I failed the first 5 seconds by not looking to the right for a a split second fml
Original post by Mia212
I failed the first 5 seconds by not looking to the right for a a split second fml

Oh no sorry to hear that was that when you were coming out of a junctio
Reply 11
No test centre LOL got a dangerous I was nervous she said go so I just went GOOO
Reply 12
Be confident, show the examiner that you can drive safely with other road users in mind.

Don't go to your test thinking your examiner is there to fail you. if you think the examiner is at blame for your test fail then you are clearly saying this to make yourself feel better.

If you make a mistake on your test, carry on and make sure you make up for it. Who knows? Examiner might of let you off a major for rectifying your previous mistake.

Make conversation with the examiner - this way they wont be 'hawking' over your mistakes.
(edited 7 years ago)
I had an hour lesson before, drove perfectly fine and did all 3 monouvers good. On the test I was so nervous, my left leg on the clutch kept shaking uncontrollably for some reason. I still did the paralel parking fine but when I was asked to do hill start i roleld back. That was a minor but i forgot to put it in first and left it in neutral. One thing i didnt know was, he asked me to stop on the left about 5 times. Which i didnt know they do. Im not used to this, but one of the times I stopped, I left it in gear 2 and stalled. And then again tried to in gear 2 so got a serious. The 2nd serious was at the road in the end, I turned too early apparently and cut the corner. Other than that I should have passed with 6 minors...

Quick Reply

Latest