The Student Room Group

1st Year & Dyslexic

I've been at uni my current uni for a year, previously spent a year elsewhere doing something else and left after finding it wasn't a good match.

Yet again haven't found it easy to either settle in or do the work, my uni's disability team are great but my programme leader has done very little in being accommodating to my different needs. I understand that essay writing is required of me on my course and I have sought help and have my DSA software but still really really struggle with it. I'm currently having to redo work from where the work I did in the year wasn't good enough and it's really getting me down and I really want to succeed but seem unable to do so.
I've actually considered doing damage to myself physically to get out of doing this work as my previous attempt was honestly the best of my ability at writing in an academic style with considerable help from the essay support team.

For me personally I NEED to complete a degree in order to feel like I am going somewhere and achieving in life but at the moment it is making me feel incredibly worthless. I would speak to a lecturer about it but they're currently all on annual leave/out of office for research projects. The parts where I do not have to write papers I am fantastic at but my inability- despite my best efforts- to produce an academic style piece of written work is causing me to fail.

help.
Original post by Blink_Blink
I've been at uni my current uni for a year, previously spent a year elsewhere doing something else and left after finding it wasn't a good match.

Yet again haven't found it easy to either settle in or do the work, my uni's disability team are great but my programme leader has done very little in being accommodating to my different needs. I understand that essay writing is required of me on my course and I have sought help and have my DSA software but still really really struggle with it. I'm currently having to redo work from where the work I did in the year wasn't good enough and it's really getting me down and I really want to succeed but seem unable to do so.
I've actually considered doing damage to myself physically to get out of doing this work as my previous attempt was honestly the best of my ability at writing in an academic style with considerable help from the essay support team.

For me personally I NEED to complete a degree in order to feel like I am going somewhere and achieving in life but at the moment it is making me feel incredibly worthless. I would speak to a lecturer about it but they're currently all on annual leave/out of office for research projects. The parts where I do not have to write papers I am fantastic at but my inability- despite my best efforts- to produce an academic style piece of written work is causing me to fail.

help.

hi firstly please do not feel as though you need a degree to go somewhere in life, because you definitely do NOT ! ALL of the greatest business men and women in the world didn't go to university. I can relate to you however I'm also dyslexic and at uni I'm currently in my second year and i can not seem to start or complete this final piece of work and its due next week, driving me crazy. Im actually sick of the world of academia and i think ill either take some time off and get a job hopefully as an estate agent or for a luxury car dealership. Theres so many other routes to success other than uni. But i know how you feel, and i will also feel disappointed in myself for not carrying on ( if i do leave) alternatively I'm considering leaving to actually go and start the second year of a similar course somewhere else ( i live at home, and everyone works) therefore evenings which should be spent studying and working are spent being out and about or watching tv / movies with my family, same with weekends. Do u live at home or at uni >>?? i feel like personally that plays a huge role in my demotivation lol.
Original post by DodieC
I'm currently home for the summer and over the academic year lived in halls then emergency accommodation then a flat then my friends sofa. It was rocky to say the least and I was given no leeway even when technically homeless for 6 months out of the 9 I've been at uni.

People say I won't be failing by leaving but I'm failing myself, this is not something that will change.

awww that sounds bad !! what are you studying and what kind of career do you want ? at the end of the day its all about getting a good job and we dont need a degree for that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending